Shooting Star fans?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by armadillo66, Mar 17, 2015.

1. armadillo66

armadillo66 Member

Living in KC I got to know Van McLain, guitarist for Shooting Star. He is a fun gear head and truly has fun playing great classic rock live.
    Last time I got to hear them, Van had one of his own Strat builds playing through a low wattage Plexi of his own moniker.

First time I met Van, Shooting Star was practicing in Shawnee Kanss in an Industrial park while they were opening on Van Halen tour. I worked for a nail gun supply next to their unit. Awseome hearing a vintage Les Paul through the plexi that he got from Eddie Van Halen back in the day.
    A few times I have been able to jam with him at the old Musician Friend crash & dent center, heard him rip it on a Korina semi hollow Hamer through a Bhudda overdrive amp one day in there. Ole Van definitely has some serious blues and rock chops
    http://www.shootingstarmaniacs.com/

2. fetchmybeer

fetchmybeer Member

I was a big fan growing up as a kid. Saw them open for Heart in 1985. Silent Scream got regular rotation on my turntable back in the day. Listening to it now, it's such an 80s album (heavy keyboards) and seems like an obvious attempt to finally hit the big time. The songs are still good, but it didn't really translate into national sales, as I recall.

Their early stuff is much more straightforward rock. Stuff like Last Chance is just timeless. I always wondered if they intended that song to be a tribute to that other band that originated nearby, Kansas.

3. roadfilm

roadfilm Member

I saw them in a club in Des Moines right after the "Hang on For Your Life" album came out. They were a killer live band.

4. rdwilson

rdwilson Member

I love the song Hang on For Your Life" kick ass tune..

5. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

I was a roadie for them for a bit when they were writing the first recod and warming up in small halls across the central states. Great group of guys that treated a young kid (me) very well. That scene... Kansas, Morning Star... Van working at Mission Music... A great era. It's too bad SS never quite caught that big wave.

6. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Yeah I've liked this band since I was a young pup. I spin a few cuts from their greatest hits every now and then. Song called Hollywood was always a good one along with other already mentioned.

7. htm62

htm62 Member

I've really liked them since I was a kid, and that's been a while. Flesh and Blood is epic!