SHOOTOUT: Box of Rock vs. OCD v1 vs. Jackhammer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Jarick, Sep 29, 2006.

1. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

EDIT: Scroll down the page for more clips and the pedal order, or check my sig clips.

Curiosity got the best of me, so I braved the 3 mile trek to Twin Town and picked up a Vexter Box of Rock. Got serial # 23, which for some odd reason came with a pink daisy hair thingie.

Anyways, I've definitely got to play with these guys some more, but here's a quick shootout clip of the three pedals tuned pretty similarly so you can hear the "flavor" of each one.

I won't reveal the order just yet, but it is constant.

Guitar: PRS CE24 with stock pickups
    Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a Celestion V30

One of the pedals is a Fulltone OCD (v1), one is a Marshall Jackhammer, and one is the Box of Rock.

Starting on the bridge pickup, I first strummed an open "D" chord and let it ring for each pedal, followed by a weird little bendy riff, then I did some palm muting on the low E, then I believe I did a little poppy quasi-open chord so you could hear the detail, then I switched to the neck pickup and played a little riff and rolled down the volume so you could hear how they clean up.

Here it is:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=150904&songID=4495884

2. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I'm going to brush up on my AC/DC riffs I guess to give you a taste for the pedals more. Any other requests on what the hell I should play?

3. Gnarls Blunt

Gnarls Blunt Member

4. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

When I think marshall, I think power chords, so if you know any I say stick with the basic songs like AC DC, aerosmith, Poison, and some CLS, etc.

If it sounds full and truly can replicate it, they should have a vibe to them.

Honestly I have yet to find a pedal that can replicate a mesa boogie or marshall distortion, so this should be interesting.

5. Blues Lyne

Blues Lyne Member

My initial impression is that I like the first one the best, except maybe on the neck pup. The middle on seemed like it was a tad better on the neck pup.

6. stairs

stairs Member

what's the order? as you didnt mention it exactly just saying "...one is...., one is, ..., one is". so which on is the first and so on?

7. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Exactly. I want to let people chew on it before their preconceptions override their actual impressions.

To me, they sounded pretty much all the same until I started playing with them more and more. After a while, the traits of each pedal started to come out more and more. And the winners and losers start falling into place a lot quicker.

:dude

8. Straleno

Straleno Member

OK, first one sounds a little thin to me, second one feels good & meaty, third is also good but a tad mushy/woofy.

I'm gonna guess:

1. Jackhammer
    2. BoR
    3. OCD

(OCD is the only one I actually own.)

What do I win??

9. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I've almost got the intro to "Welcome to the Jungle" figured out, working on "Hells Bells" right now. Need one more to complete the trifecta...suggestions?

10. ptdesign

ptdesign Handmade sonic art

I'm gonna guess 1) jackhammer 2) BoX 3) OCD I hope i'm wrong. I have the OCD . I like #2 best Exept for the palm muting.

11. opdev

opdev Member

I am guessing BOR is #3.

I think OCD is #2

Shows that thre is no reason to obsess about freakin pedals.

12. opdev

opdev Member

Maybe

BOR
    OCD
    Gov

I freakin have the BOR and OCD and really can't tell fromn these clips. STOP THE MADNESS!

13. ptdesign

OK it was #3 that sounds mushy on the palm mute. I've never thought of the OCD as mushy. On a second listen the first two are a bit fizzy. But both have more squish than my OCD has ever had. How about smacking some power chords. And after a 3rd listen #3 is the only useable one for me. the others are a little over the top for my tastes. I like stacking fior leads
    and my Blues Pro in front of 3 would kick. I have the 500k vol. pot and # 3 sounds like my OCD before the mod. And if i'm rite about the order You've killed my gas for the BoR. (not a bad thing)

14. Snowdog

Snowdog Member

Jackhammer - BOR - OCD

15. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

Now we're getting into the spirit!

By the way, I've now determined that compared to the BoR, the OCD has no mids and sounds way more compressed. Go figure :jo

I took a Dremel to the input jack of one of my guitars and soldered in a nice new Switchcraft. I'm going to do another set of clips with some higher gain pickups.

16. itgoesto11uc

itgoesto11uc Member

OCD
    Marshall Jackhammer
    Box of Rock

17. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

18. ptdesign

I hope you have the OCD in HP mode. Best into a HRDX IMHO

19. ptdesign

Again #2 best for the material.

20. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

I think it was in LP in the first clip, HP in the second and third.

Third clip almost uploaded!