Shootout video - 6 different small tube amp combos - what's your favorite?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Moony, Mar 4, 2019.

What's your favorite in the video?

1. Marshall Origin 20

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Orange Rocker 15

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. Fender Blues Junior IV

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Supro Blues King 12

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  5. Vox AC15 w/ Greenback

13 vote(s)
    22.8%
  6. Blackstar HT-20R MKII

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Moony

Moony Member

Andertons just made an interesting video!

Here we go:

Note:
    The Marshall Origin 20 has a 10" speaker.
    The clean channel of the Blackstar is designed for crunch when volume goes above noon.

What's your favorite?
    Feel free to comment below!

:)

PS: Please avoid "Why haven't they included the amp xyz?" comments. ;)

gulliver and LCW like this.
  2. Mark White

Mark White Member

I expected to like the Vox as a part of me has been thinking this might be the next amp purchase, but was surprised to find myself really liking the Marshall.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Anything but the Blackstar (or any other SMT amp) . Bob

4. Moony

Moony Member

If it sounds good, it's good.

Captain Lee said in the video, where they showed the HT-5R MKII, that out of all the smaller "tube amps", which are in the 500£ range, he likes the new HT-5 the best and that would be his choice. I think, that says a lot.

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Until it breaks. Got nothing against PCB amps- they are all I own. That said SMT style- no thanks. Thats where I draw the line. No reason for this in a guitar amp.

LagunaMan likes this.
  6. Moony

Moony Member

I see where you're coming from.
    I think, the pcb would be exchanged - otherwise a properly designed SMD pcb could last decades without having any issues.
    It's more the design itself than pcb vs handwiring, what counts.

Vaibhav Joshi likes this.
  7. markl

markl Member

I agreed with their view that the Blackstart was too bassy. Not sure how well you can dial that out. Sounded ok though. I liked the Marshall. It had great crunch as expected but I also thought the short sample of clean we heard was really nice.

The Supro sounded awful. Seriously, was it broken?

The others sounded pretty good.

8. Jr Deluxe

Jr Deluxe Member

No monoprice 15w? What kind of low cost tube combo comparison could this be?

9. Moony

Moony Member

TD_Madden likes this.
  10. gulliver

gulliver Supporting Member

I really liked the Supro. Been hearing a lot of hype on those ... will have to start looking deeper.

11. Stephen Barton

Stephen Barton Member

It’s not too bassy in person. I played a vintage 335 through one a few days ago. It was great. At 0.5w, It stayed clean. Incredible. OD it and dial back the guitar volume and it cleans up nicely-better than my Boogie. I’m selling all of my amps and getting one.
    not too bassy in person

12. Stephen Barton

Stephen Barton Member

****. It cut of my post. I played a vintage ES-335 through one a few days ago and it was great. It was bright like a Blues Junior. Set it at 0.5w and it stayed clean. I used the OD channel, which sounded great, and when I dialled back the volume knob, it completely cleaned up. It was better than my Boogie. I’m selling all of my amps and I’m going to get one. 0.5w is perfect. It takes OD pedals really well too.

13. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Voted for Fender Pro Jr IV Tweed.

YMMV

macmax77 and Peppy like this.
  14. dalezjc

dalezjc Member

None of the above. Tweaker 15 combo.

15. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

16. Steviecaster

Steviecaster Member

The Fender, or the Vox, I suppose.

That Supro could not be more different from what I like in an amp .

17. Oriondk

Oriondk Member

I liked the Blackstar. Wait, I liked the Vox. No the Blackstar you idiot. What are you talking about? The Vox sounded great.

18. LagunaMan

LagunaMan Member

I liked the marshall origin 20. Nice clean and distorted tones.

19. jimk4003

jimk4003 Member

SMT is repairable; any time you walk past a computer repair shop, that's what they're doing.

Repairing SMT requires different skills and different tools to repairing through-hole PCB or hand wired construction. It wasn't that long ago that people made the same remarks you're making now about SMT when discussing PCB amps; they're fine until they break, then they can't be repaired. Of course, that isn't true at all, but it did take techs who'd only ever worked with eyelet and turret boards to develop their skillsets.

I work with SMT technology in the automation sector every day; it's a fundamentally more robust construction technique. Indeed, it was originally developed by IBM and NASA back in the 1960's to be more resistant to the stresses and vibration of rocket launches than through-hole construction. In my field, SMT is used in control equipment where a failure could potentially cause destruction of property, injury, or even death. Most of this equipment runs 24/7, often at much higher voltages than you'd ever find in a guitar amp, and if necessary in harsh environmental conditions. SMT is used in these applications because it's really, really robust.

That said, we also have an entire division in our company that does nothing but repair SMT equipment all day long.

I know it maybe wasn't the point you were making, but the notion that SMT is somehow a less reliable or unrepairable option gives me an occipital twitch every time I see it on TGP; SMT is deliberately chosen in industries where equipment is subjected to far more stress than a piece of audio equipment would ever need to withstand, and where reliability, robustness and safety are prioritised over cost.

Corvid and BobK like this.
  20. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

The Vox without any doubt, though closely followed by the Fender.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019