Shopping for a 30watt 112 portable combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mototpsychel, Jan 27, 2012.

1. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

I play mostly at home now, but things have come up that will soon be forcing me from the safe confines of my guitar shrine. I will be going to rehersals, small club type venues, and recording studios. My home amp is a Two-Rock Custom Reverb Sig V2 50 watt w/212 TR cab that I love to hell and back, I just don't want to drag it to hell and back - cuz itsa heavy mo-fo. I like quality. And I want big sound (not boxy) and portability with the ability to do a decent Classic to Punk Rock crunch. Great cleans would be fantastic as well but are probably too much to ask for. Modern high-gain would be cool - but not a necessity. So I'm thinking a 30 watt 112 combo would be about right. Oh yeah, I like tubes over solid state. $1,500.00 is my cap. I've tried the Marshall JVM 215c - good - but not quite what I'm looking for. The Blackstar (model name escapes me) - good price ($600.00) but something just did not jell. So far I've liked the Orange TH30 combo best, but before I pull that trigger, does anybody have any other recomendations ?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  2. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Member

if you like the TH30 combo... try to find an old Rocker30 combo...

I think humbuckermusic still has one or two... I think it sounds better in every way than the TH30...

3. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

Thanks - I'll see if I can find one to check out.

4. LuckyBlackCat

LuckyBlackCat Member

This is what you want:

[​IMG]

Mesa F-30 combo (1x12).

It will do everything you want in spades. Great crunch and classic rock tones, unbelievable cleans (some say the F-series are Mesa's best cleans ever) with high headroom, and obviously the modern high gain sound.

It is portable, although it is a little heavy for a 1x12, and it has a really big sound, not at all boxy. I have one and a Blues Junior. The BJ has some boxiness, this is much fuller. Reverb is ok. It is LOUD.

The only downsides are:

- Doesn't do a great "edge of breakup" or "clean with hair" sound, but that wasn't on your list
    - A little heavy (but not like you're 2x12)
    - The reverb is just ok, in my opinion. Kind of bright.
    - It's discontinued (but you can find them used for around $600)

The F-Series was replaced by the Express series, but I think the F-Series blows the new ones away in all respects (except maybe the lower power options on the Expresses).

5. mototpsychel

mototpsychel Member

That sounds good. Perhaps a little hunting around is in order. Thanks

6. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I love my Fuchs ODS Mod. You could definitely find a DR size ODS 30 or 50 in that price range. Andy is also turning PRRI into an ODS30 with a 12. That would be killer IMO.

7. ScottR

ScottR Silver Supporting Member

Budda Superdrive 30...can be had for ~$800 all day long on ebay