Shopping for a new T-Style. What would you suggest?

What kind of T-style would you recommend?

• Mark Jenny T-Style Double Bound Kit

• Bob Logan Custom

• Parts-caster

• Fender off the rack Tele

Results are only viewable after voting.

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
I'm shopping around for a new Telecaster/T-Style and although the search is almost as much fun as the purchase I've sort of stalled out on options. I'm limited for a budget (5-700+ with an absolute ceiling of $900). Background information is always helpful so here goes: I like to play mostly clean (country, surf, jazz-a-billy), maple fingerboards, Vintage style (ashtray bridge, etc). Ideally I'd like a Filtertron in the neck pos but I have a Twisted Tele on hand if it's more economical to go SC.

Mark Jenny Kit: Looks great. I've never really been a Relic kind of guy but a double-bound T kit of his would be sweet. Mark Jenny

Bob Logan Custom: I've heard good things but I've also heard some not so great things. The unfilled grain finishes looks kinda cool but I don't know if it's for me. Bob Logan

A built-by-me-partscaster: No resale value (in case I get bored). Upside, I can do it, downside, I'd have to buy everything separately.

An off-the-rack Fender Telecaster. Nothing in their current offering in my budget excites me.

I'm weighing options above and would appreciate input on all options. Thanks in advance for all your input.

pickaguitar

2011 TGP Silver Medalist
Silver Supporting Member
Also consider King Bee Guitars...he does killer finishes on those!

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
looks cool but is it realistically in my price range? I don't want to contact any builder just to find that it's way out of my range.

I've also toyed with the idea of something non-fendery (like a Revered Gil Parris) but I know I would miss having a T-Style.

Last edited:

dspellman

Might be worth a glance at the Carvin TL-60 series. Virtually any pickup configuration you want. Ebony, Rosewood, maple and birdseye fretboards. But it's a neck-through guitar (wide variation in body woods and finishes) with a 25" scale and 24 frets. Huge option list. Price starts around $700 something. Great build quality, tons of customization options.

homerayvaughan

Silver Supporting Member
Off the rack i like the new American specials. Otherwise I just got a thin skin 62 reissue used that I love.

mark jenny's are real nice, I have a blond body i got from him.

nasonm

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the suggestions so far folks.
Germs, I'd die if I could get a crook for under 9 bills.
I did play an American Special yesterday. Seemed nice for the moolah.

Are there builders out there who assemble from prefab parts to order? Or other HQ kit suppliers like Mark Jenny?

VictorNoel

I've got a Logan Custom arriving on Friday & would be more than glad to let you know how it turns out. Bob is a pleasure to deal with & accommodated my specs completely. Also, I had a JD Omniac & liked it very much. Fine piece of work, especially if that sort of switching is your thing. Though I didn't love it enough to keep it during my scaling down process.

Guitar Dave T

None of the above.

I recently tried all kinds of Teles, and the best, hands-down, was one of Charley's Guitars customs. Holy crap.

But I wasn't quite ready to spend that kind of money due to the sucky economy and business, so instead I picked up a used Fender Roadworn blonde with an ash body. It has a killer sounding body and a great neck, along with full size CTS pots, good quality switch and medium jumbo frets. Then I did installed a set of Dimarzzio Twang King pickups, which sound awesome, and replaced the steel bridge saddles with a set of Allparts brass compensating saddles.

The final touch was a black guard.

Charley's Guitars supplied me with the replacement parts, and helped age all the steel bits and guard, including some period-correct FLAThead screws for the guard.

Now this is the best playing, best sounding Tele I've ever owned, and it looks cool too.

saultime

Parts-o-caster all the way. Every guitar player owes it to himself to do this at least once. I have a Clapton Strat and a Gibson Explorer, and the parts-o-caster I built myself is better guitar for me, imo. I took my time picking everything out, got a nice ONE PIECE body from USA custom guitars w/ swimming pool route, finished it in nitro, wet-sanded and buffed it out myself...Warmoth neck w/ v profile, Barden pickups. (Fake Fender decal.)

It took time, but it was worth it.

sabby

Parts-O-Caster!!!

Fat All-Parts neck and the body, pickups, and hardware of your choice.

NickZ

I don't see how a neck thru and a neck pickup pushed forward by the extra frets is going to resemble a tele at all- other than the body shape.

Might be worth a glance at the Carvin TL-60 series. Virtually any pickup configuration you want. Ebony, Rosewood, maple and birdseye fretboards. But it's a neck-through guitar (wide variation in body woods and finishes) with a 25" scale and 24 frets. Huge option list. Price starts around $700 something. Great build quality, tons of customization options.

Looks like the "anti-Tele"! Even moreso than that Peevee thing!

Trending Topics