Short, insightful Metheny interview.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Strung Up, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

2. Al Varez

Al Varez Member

Does he give an explanation for his striped shirt wardrobe/uniform? And his hair?

3. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

I think you're looking for the Cosmopolitan discussion group, Mr. Blackwell. Let us all know what you learn.

4. dlguitar64

dlguitar64 Member

IMO, no living guitarist comes close to what Metheny has accomplished in his career.

5. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

He is Caucasian.

stratocat63 likes this.
  6. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

I love these kinds of interviews where you really here an artist talking about the deeper things of musicianship. Predictably people make jokes, but there is a reason folks like Metheny can play at such a high level. Just saying the words that one should develop their own style is enough to turn off many folks.

Great read that many people will dismiss because it has no drama, no glitz or glamour, no showmanship, and no commercial intent. You can't put this stuff on the cover of a magazine and expect great interest like you can comments like "This ain't smoke and mirrors, this is raw!" Nothing wrong with that comment because it's aimed at and resonates with a specific musical demographic...nothing wrong with that.

But the comments Pat is making have a completely different focus that receives a lot less attention in popular music media and on forums. Certainly part of that reason is because he's talking about a lot of hard work and experience that doesn't come from magazines, tab, etc. Another reason is that he's talking about instrumental music, and the popularity of things like jazz and classical are far below rock, metal, and country as can be easily seen by music sales and radio station numbers. Lets face it, you may have to be talented to have a #1 radio hit single, but you don't necessarily need to tap into any of the stuff Metheny is talking about to do that.

7. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

That was an interesting read.

8. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

I was watching an acoustic medley he did over in Switzerland, on youtube last night and I realized how much he makes me feel awful as a player. No matter what I ever accomplish on guitar, it will be shameful in comparison. His compositions are beyond my imagination technically and yet they artistically transport me beyond the instrument into the story. I kind of gush about the guy because i'm always so blown away by his combination of technical command and artistry. They are indistinguishable in him like no other present day guitarist I can name.

derekd and Jon C like this.
  9. DrSax

DrSax Member

love listening to Pat talk music.

derekd likes this.
  10. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Great read.

I first saw him in the 70s/1980, in settings as diverse as Ryles (a small club in Cambridge MA) where he'd put together one-offs with people like Paul Motian; the Berklee Perf. Center w/ the Pat Metheny Group; and playing in front of 100,000 people on Miami Beach with the PMG.

Just saw him last year with the Orchestrion Project and he continues, as Ubersooner said, to just blow me away with the depth and breadth of his musical imagination and the technical command to make it come alive right in front of you.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    derekd likes this.
  11. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

After living in his hometown for a couple of decades, I've been fortunate enough to hear Pat in some pretty intimate settings. Also, at NGW in the past. Genuinely nice guy, and self described soccer dad who drives a mini van for his boys and plays guitar at a level most can't fathom. Listening to him play is at once awe inspiring and humbling.

Like DrSax, I love it when Pat talks about music. He invariably lifts it way beyond the pedantic chord/scale kinds of conversations we tend to get mired in, and enlarges the scope. Thanks, OP, for posting this.

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  12. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

Cool article. I knew Pat was a big Wes fan growing up, but I never knew he started as a Wes clone.

I dig this:

Metheny: These issues are significant, and as much as I’ve claimed the left side of the argument, I’m also very conservative. I need to hear people who can really play. If we’re going to play a blues or a standard, they really have to be able to play it. The moment I feel that somebody is not really able to hang, I tune out a little bit.

A certain kind of conservatism is required, but at the same time there has to be this liberal side too. I don’t see them as being mutually exclusive.

13. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I have the same reaction every time I watch a video of Pat. I was watching The Way Up blu-ray last weekend and was blown away. It's a strange feeling. I'm inspired to pick up the guitar and play, but at the same time want to quit as I feel so inferior and useless to what I've witnessed.

Did anyone see the PMG during the late 80s Still Life (Talking), Letter From Home era? The PMG at that point would have been something to behold.

14. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Yes I did. Every iteration of the PMG was amazing. And yet when I saw the Unity Group last winter the music was uncannily taken to a completely higher level. The musicianship and creativity was staggering.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  15. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Yeah.
    In between '84 and about '91(or so), I saw the PMG 4-5 times.
    They always delivered.

16. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I'm jealous. I'd love a chance to see them (well I suppose Unity Group these days)/him play.

17. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

When this is how you warm up, good things are going to happen. (Poor Quality but amazing none the less.)

Inoshishi likes this.
  18. Inoshishi

Inoshishi Member

That was just beautiful!

19. Dajbro

Dajbro Supporting Member