Short Scale Acoustic for Ten year old but

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by trisonic, Jul 2, 2008.

1. trisonic

trisonic Member

I'd also enjoy noodling on.......

Any thoughts? Must be able to get a reasonable action, projection not important. Sub $500.00
    Thanks, Pete.

2. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

check yer email , Pete . :BEER

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

Thanks RL. That little Martin with the Sitka top seems ideal.......
    When are you going to post some of your recent cab photos? I've enjoyed the ones you did so far.

Best, Pete.

PS Does the Martin have side dots on the neck?

4. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

I need to update the site Pete , got 2 or 3 that aren't on it yet ...
    Regrettably they're all tolexed :D

Yessir . I added abalone dots to my fretboard with the smaller dots from Stewmac and a bradpoint drillbit ,
    but the side dots are standard .

5. JohnSS

JohnSS Member

Yamaha FG Jr. can be had for around $100-130. Nice action, decent sound, 3/4 scale.

6. fizbin

fizbin Member

I've got the Little Martin with a Spruce top too, set up with 10's. It doesn't sound quite as good as it would with proper gauge strings, but it plays effortlessly which I think is more important for a young beginner.

7. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

My 8 year old is playing a full size 650 mm classical (after 1.5 yrs. on a 3/4 size). If he's a total beginner, you might consider classical over SS, it's a huge difference in playability (less tension on hands and easier with the wider nut spacing). By age 10, I'd think you're pretty darn close to him being ready for a standard size guitar unless he has unusually small hands. My 8 yr. old can play clean progressions and stretches on a classical that he can't get on a SS because there is more forgiveness between strings so there is much less accidental muting and easier fingering with the lower tension.

As for an answer to your question, LaPatrie makes an outstanding guitar for the money, and I believe you can get a 640 mm scale length as well as a 650 mm. Washburn also makes a decent entry level guitar with a B-band system so he can tune his own guitar as well as plug it in when he's ready.

Good luck!

8. Bob V

Bob V Member

My ten year old has "Jimi" fingers so she does just fine with a long scale and full nut width, although a thin neck profile doesn't hurt. I'd leann towards something that has the quality that will make it more playable and better sounding so that they will be pleased with their results and want to play more. With a cheap guitar, you won't get any of your money back later. A good one at least you can unload if their tastes change. Having said that, I've always been impressed with Yamaha for getting good sound out of what are supposed to be cheap materials. They even have an oil-finished model that saves the cost of spraying and buffing a lacquered finish.

9. JSeth

JSeth Member

Corvallis, Oregon... "Heart of the Valley"...
    I acquired a Big Baby Taylor guitar for a while and really enjoyed it... wonderful sound for such a small guitar, very playable and the short scale makes string tension very syrupy...

10. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I think the Little Martin and Baby/Big Baby Taylor are great guitars......period.

See if you can find a Tacoma Papoose P1. It's sweet as well.

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

This is what happened.
    I got a lot of email advice as well, thanks, RL!
    I went into the local GC en famile and announced that we needed a short scale guitar for my daughter.
    In short order they came up with a really cheap Yamaha and the Martin with the solid Sitka spruce top. The Yamaha which was the cheapest at about $100 was actually the nicer one to play - but it sounded like a cardboard box.

The Martin sounded pretty fair but had some dead spots all over the place. Whilst I was playing around with these ( I had the family and no less than three salesmen in attendance) one of the guys brought out a Laguna "Little Brat" - which I'd never heard of, I was unconvinced looking at it because it had a flashy inlay at the headstock and soundhole. It did have markers on both the front and side of the fretboard which is useful for a beginner. Again this had a solid spruce top, I wish they had guitars like this when I started playing. The action was very nice, a little "stiff" perhaps.

My wife really thought it sounded sweet from out front but to me it sounded a little uncontrolled but this is the one they wanted. Priced a little below the Martin I was concerned about the lack of a "big" name - which is stupid.
    My daughter loves it and she plays it much more than her baby Strat. I enjoy playing it too (really convenient for the sofa)! It is opening up tonewise.
    So that was the story of this thread. Many thanks.

Best, Pete.

12. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Another good example of "play 'em first " :AOK
    I picked my Little M out of 3 , and the other 2 were "just guitars" .

When I was looking I played a smaller Ibanez around the 200 range that really sounded nice for the money
    but I couldn't get past the all-blue color . I shoulda thought " pinup decal " :jo :D

13. trisonic

trisonic Member

Yep, preconceptions often kill a good purchase, RL!
    Point I was trying to make is that if I was there by myself I would have picked that little Martin! Why because I knew it had the basics for a decent cheap guitar.
    As it happens the Laguna is opening up rather nicely and now having had a chance just to listen to it (as opposed to playing it) I can understand why it was well liked in the store.
    Thanks for everyone's help (and yes, I'm a big believer in "try before you buy" - I also picked one of those new Danelectro "Cat" Fuzz boxes - $30 and a really good pedal that responds to the guitar's volume pedal beautifully ala Knopfler's break up on his Nazareth Raceway track).

Best, Pete.