Short Scale and Narrow Nut, Options?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Housered, May 26, 2008.

1. Housered

Housered Member

I am wondering what my options are in terms of short scale acoustics with narrow nuts.

Steel string, <25", ~1.68 nut, price is not a factor.

Thanks.

2. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

There are any number of talented luthiers that can build a guitar to meet your needs and many who already build "short scale" models and narrower nuts as part of their standard "line." Best to contact someone like Richard @ fine guitar consultants http://www.fineguitarconsultants.com or Paul at Dream Guitars http://www.dreamguitars.com . Both these guys work closely with the finest builders around and are VERY knowledgable about what's currently available (e.g. no waiting) and/or who might be the best to fit your style(s) of playing and specification requirements.

Good luck.

3. Housered

Housered Member

Thanks, clemduolian! I will contact them.

I am also interested in compiling a list of the larger brands.

Thanks!

4. mkolesa@mac.com

mkolesa@mac.com Member

i know that goodall produces 3 instruments with a 25" scale length: the parlor, the 000, and the long dreadnaught. a 1 11/16" neck width is a custom option.

5. go7

go7 Member

Martins 000-28 and some other models have a 24.9 scale and 1 11/16 nut.Check there website for specs.The 000-28EC I just got is awesome but has 1 3/4 nut.Good luck!

6. drive-south

drive-south Member

Many of the older Gibson models from the 60's had very skinny necks and the short 24.5" scale. Models such as the LG2, Bxx, J45, etc. all had the skinny necks by 1965. Unfortunately they also have the adjustable saddle. You can find many of these with replaced bridges as people swapped the adjustable bridge with a fixed bridge.

Having a custom built to your' specs would be a great way to get exactly what you want, but it will certainly be costly.

drive-south

7. Housered

Housered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I am looking at the Martins and the Gibsons. I do have a soft spot for the smaller builders. I wish that Larrivee made a guitar with the specks I want.

There has got to be a fair number of guitars out there with a 1.68" nut and a short scale. I have got to learn about all of them before I can make a decision to buy from a shop or have one made.

Thanks!

8. Housered

Housered Member

I am a bit short on cash; just bought a Vanzandt SVR-2 so money is a factor.

I can probably afford a Martin 000-28 but I want to know what other non custom made options exist.

I really like Larrivee. I with they made a guitar that met my requirements.

Thanks!

9. David Collins

David Collins Member

I second the vote for a 60's LG-2, preferably one that has already had it's bridge replaced with solid ebony or rosewood. It sounds to be just what you're looking for.