Short Wave Radio into buffered and non buffered pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SteveStevens, Feb 15, 2009.

1. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

I'll try to explain this as best I can. I tried plugging my little portable short wave radio into my pedal board (headphone out into a mono 1/4 jack adapter...into my board...into amp...) signal itself was quite strong due to the buffered output for the headphones no doubt. However, whenever I engaged a pedal, the output dropped massively. Delays wouldn't really "take" (DD20) and overall i feel that something is amiss. On the other hand, plugging straight into my BYOC delay worked great. Same strong signal, but no drop off when engaged. My little board is as follows:

Dunlop (Solid Gold Modded) Wah (TB)
    Blues Driver (Modded)
    Solid Gold OD (TB)
    Boss TU-2 Pedal
    Boss Super Octave
    Boss FV-60 volume Pedal (I wonder about this pedal...)
    BYOC Comp (TB)
    DD-20
    Boss RV-5

And the whole thing works fine with my guitars! How do I get my board to "see" the little radio's signal the way it "sees" my guitar's?

Steve

2. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

...and I already tried putting my GigRig Humdinger in the front of everything minus the Wah...so...

Steve

3. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

I don't see a BYOC delay in your lineup. Did you mean the compressor?

When you plug the shortwave into the BYOC delay and it maintains full level into the amp, and then immediately switch to guitar and listen to the volume of the guitar, is the natural volume of the guitar much lower than the shortwave? If so, your shortwave output might simply be overloading most of the other pedals, so maybe it needs to start out much quieter.

Guitar signals are something like -30dB. Home stereo operates somewhere around -20dB, semi-pro gear is somewhere around -10dB, and pro audio gear has an operating level of +4dB (I realize I'm mixing dbv with dbm here) or even higher. These are ceilings, above which the gear tends to distort.

4. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

No, I meant that the BYOC delay was off the board and sort of a "control" situation. So I used that to figure out that the cable and adapter are cool to provide some sort of signal and that this would work in principle. I just can't get all the stuff on the pedal board to play nice. Plugged into the board itself, my signal is good. Same as into the one BYOC pedal. When I engage a pedal, things get weird. Thanks for chiming in, Monsieur Vex...

Steve

5. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Updated info...I removed the DD-20 from the board, and tried the radio into the DD-20 alone. Same problem. Delays were very low. Then I switched delay types. (I generally keep my DD-20 on the Warp setting. I like to be able to do swells all the time if need be...) All the other settings worked fine! Something about the warp setting doesn't like this thing. Anyone have any experience with the DD-20 working/not working in this way?

Steve

6. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Silly me, but why would you run your short wave radio into your pedal board?

7. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Member

So you can alter the sounds coming out of it just as you would any other sound source.

8. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

Why wouldn't you? If you have to ask...don't worry about it...

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Well, this is a discission board after all. And maybe it's something i want to try.

10. SteveStevens

SteveStevens Member

I suppose! Well, the fellow above is right. I just want to take the sound it makes and manipulate it. There's some weird stuff on short wave. Ever hear numbers stations? Creepy stuff...