Shortcoming of the SLO

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gearo999, Sep 20, 2005.

1. gearo999

gearo999 Member

The SLO is a very nice amp but its shortfalls were just too much for me. The problems I had were mainly with the loop.
    When using the loop bad things happened.
    First, the tone took a hit with touch sensitivity. I have heard all of the solutions and reasons for a poorly made loop (all loops color the tone, don't use the loop, you have to set it up right, etc...)
    Second the levels were just too hot, I know, use an intellifex or G-Major. I tried the G-Major and it did not help any. It still killed a bit of touch sensitivity and tone.
    Third, it had too little bottom end. I know, get the depth mod done and use a 4X12. Right?!? Buy expensive amps then pay for mods to cover up the shortcoming.
    Fourth, there is a volume disparity when using the loop. The lead was much louder than the clean.
    Fifth, when using the loop when you changed channels there was delay and volume swell when going from lead to clean. How can you play live with this???
    After 15 years of history the SLO should be more refined. For the 3K price tag all of the mods should be standard. The clean is just ok. Good enough for rock.
    This could be a great amp, but it is really a one trick pony. The Peavey 5150 is just as good and $2300 less.
    IMO!

2. 20forSeven

20forSeven Member

Want my Peavey 5150?

3. Randy

Randy Member

We've talked about the SLO's loop before and I have to disagree with most of this. With my G-Major, there is very little tone loss - no more then I experience with the loops on other high gainers (Bogner, Mako etc...). Maybe other amps' loops are more forgiving then the SLO's and work better wide a wider range of effects but it sounds to me like a lot of what you ran into had more to do with your effects device then the SLO. I haven't experienced any volume loss, delays or swells between channels with the G-Major.

I do agree that the SLO should have the depth mod standard. If I turn mine all the way off the amp lacks bottom end in a big way.

4. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I tried a G-Major. The loop is just not well designed. Yes, most other high end quality amps have more forgiving loops (they work:D ).

5. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Most of the SLO's shortcomings are a result of the amp being played too quiet. The SLO is a professional stage amp. Made for big pro gigs. If you play at home or in a small to medium size club you can't crack open the SLO to do it's thing. Play an SLO on 7 or higher and it has no lack of bottom or touch. Even the cleans sound good when the amp is allowed to breath.

6. gearo999

gearo999 Member

On 7 or higher. That will kill dogs, small children and knock small aircraft out of the sky. The amp does sound good. Tone was not a problem. The tone was very nice. I practiced on 5 will my band and my ears would be ringing at the end of the night, with two power tubes pulled.
    It was the loop that drove me nuts...

7. scottosan

scottosan Supporting Member

That must be why noone uses the SLO live :rolleyes:

8. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I've owned a couple of Soldanos (Hot Rod & Decatone) and I must say that the FX loop was a source of major irritation. If I still had one, I'd either go with a wet/dry rig or get a loop buffer along the lines of a Dumbleator.

9. gearo999

gearo999 Member

I guess most just 1) don't use the loop or 2) they use wet/dry setups or 3) keep the amp on one channel and use roll back the volume for rhythem tones. All options will work, just not for me.

Just stating my observations.

See, what happens most time, people understate the shortcomings of amps on forums. Since I was uninformed, I'm passing it along so someone else doesn't make the same mistake.
    During the honeymoon phase, they are in bliss and then they come up for sale. But they dont say why they are selling because they want to get rid of something that is not working for them and want to get their money back.

10. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

Strange, I've been playing a Decatone for years & have no issues with its loop, & I have other amps with great loops to compare.
    IMO, it works excellent.
    Pedals or Rack Effects, no difference.

11. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Silver Supporting Member

The problem with the loop is it's location in the circuit and the fact that it does not work with pedals. Both Mark Knopfler and Clapton had their SLO's loops modified to fix this.

IMHO, The SLO as it comes stock is not worth the money considering the other options out there. BTW It's really almost comical that they offer 1001 different mods for this amp, when it is advertised as "Remaining unchanged for over 15 years!".

LOL! :D :eek:

12. trainwrecker

trainwrecker Member

I only found one unit that worked well in my SLO, the TC Electronic M One, worked great, everything else, all the rack units and pedals I tried just drained all the signal away. Eventually I ran the slave out through the effects and then into a separate power amp, that worked pretty well. But that was a big setup and kind of complicated. I think the amp sounds pretty good with just a little delay in front, the loop just isn't very user friendly.

13. rkstarr

rkstarr Member

however the tone..feel...and musicality..is tops..but then again i had a rack slo..so im not sure of the heads...

14. gearo999

gearo999 Member

15. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

if you really like the slo100 but want the loop to work right, then contact bruce egnater and have him modify the loop for you. i had him do my slo & it works great. same type of mod that clapton & knopfler did. bruce does awesome work & his prices are very reasonable.

16. gearo999

gearo999 Member

Damn. If I hand known this I may have kept it. I posted several threads but never got responses. Thanks. I may come back to this amp in a few years if I get a REALLY good deal.