Shorten Mini Pedal Jacks

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by joe2517, Apr 25, 2016.

1. joe2517

joe2517 Member

Hey guys,

Other than the Mooer Black Secret I own I've noticed my other mini pedals have extended input/output jacks that take up a silly amount of room relative to the small size of the pedal:

[​IMG]
    Is there any way to shorten these? Could I just saw them off or could that damage the wiring?

Cheers

2. dean owens

dean owens Member

Theoretically you could but it won't make a difference. Your plug is still the same length. The positive end will need to reach the "hook" of the input jack. Because you won't be changing where that is located, your plug will stick out the same distance it does now. Make sense? I don't know why they did those jacks like that. Seems a little counter productive.

KissTone and gibs5000 like this.
  3. joe2517

joe2517 Member

Ah right, yeah that makes sense; I guess that rules that option out, thanks though

4. joe2517

joe2517 Member

Could I just remove the washers, push the jacks further in and then replace them? Would the pedal function if the jacks were touching?

5. dean owens

dean owens Member

Are they just "floating" or are they soldered to a pcb? Mooer jacks are solder to the pcb and help keep it n place. If that's the case I don't see how. Have a gut shot?

6. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

Sadly, i think you are limited by the size of the plug, not the jack....

Thats what she said

Auditory Driving likes this.
  7. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

Not impossible, but labor intensive if the jacks are mounted to the board. You'd have to desolder the jacks, and replace them with standard switchcraft jacks (that's if they'll fit with the case being small and the pcb eating up most of the interior). Then solder new wire leads to the jack from the pcb. Not the easiest or quickest thing to do.

dean owens likes this.
  8. strat68

strat68 Member

Did I read this wrong, are you referring to the threads?