Shorter scale guitars that don't totally suck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fuzz_factor, Jun 15, 2008.

1. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I'm teaching my 12 year old teacher how to play guitar. I was planning on letting her use my Squier Strat to learn, then buying her the guitar that she wants, once she has a better idea of what she wants.

Well, the Strat seems to be a little to big and heavy for her. My SG, with the 24 3/4" scale and lighter weight is a little better, but still a little big for her fingers. So now I'm thinking of just getting her a shorter scale guitar that would be easier for her to learn on.

The Daisy Rock's look cool, and from the one I've tried, seem to be of decent quality, but all the 22 1/2" inch scale ones are horrible flower and heart shapes. My little sister is already starting to show an affinity for heavy metal (not my doing... but I certainly don't mind :Devil).

So any decent, not too gimmicy, shorter scale (22 1/2"?) guitars out there that would last a 12 year old for a couple of years? Oh yeah, I'm hoping to keep the cost down on this one, as I figure she might want an SG in a couple of years.

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

They made 3/4 sized Gibson Melody Makers in SG shape, 22.75 scale. I know that's not cheap but maybe a beat up/modded one is. They sell some SG and LP shaped beginner guitars by Gibson/maestro at Best Buy now. I don't know the scale. Fender made guitars in 22" scale, the Bronco? There's a Japanese mini Strat in short scale. Peavey T-15's are 23.75" scale and can be found cheap.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=category&id=abcat0207003

3. fuzz_factor

I think an SG shaped Melody Maker with a 22.75 scale would fit the bill really nicely. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those. Thanks. :JAM

4. googoobaby

googoobaby Member

+1 for the Peavey T-15. I learned to play on one of these and still respect the quality of it.

5. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

I'm looking around too for the exact same reasons. Intonation is difficult.

The Squier mini killed me, could never get the thing in tune for chords.

I've tried a couple of others. I have a Brian MiniMay coming in this week.

The only real success I've had finding one for my daughter so far is the Yamaha Minifolk Acoustic guitar.

6. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

I bought both of my girls guitars for Christmas last year.

One is a Stagg Strat copy - 3/4 scale
    The other is an Ibanez Mikro Gio

The Stagg was a mess when we got it home, and I had to spend some time setting it up. It has a tremalo on it which my daughter LOVES, but it pulls strings out of tune. As much as I try to tell her to not use it, that's what makes it cool. The guitar is pink, and she loves it, but I swear it's as heavy as my full sized ash strat. It's so heavy she can't play it. It slipped out of the strap once and the head knocked her in the face - she's been slightly afraid of it ever since. The pickups are pretty nice and have that strat sound which sort of surprised me. 5-position switch, rosewood board. OK guitar for $100.

http://www.staggmusic.com/products/products_detail.php?langue=uk&catid=128&oneid=443

The Ibanez on the other hand impressed me. Dual humbuckers, three-position switch, rosewood etc. No trem, which I like because it stays in tune longer. This guitar is LIGHT!! *I* play this guitar all the time. In fact I used this guitar when recovering from shoulder surgery because it was the only one I could play for about two weeks. I would buy another in a heartbeat - about $129. They even make one with a built in amp - the neck PU is replaced with a little speaker. Cool stuff. This one is purple, which is her favorite color. It's almost black indoors, but in the light it's a pretty cool color. They come in Yellow, red, black etc. It looks like an RG guitar.

http://www.ibanez.com/eg/series.aspx?s=mikro

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-?sku=518875

Both are made in China I think, and both are adequate. If a certain color or style is important, then your options will be limited. If you want single coil, I think you might be limited as well.

Advice - pick them up and feel their weight before you buy. I would not have bought the Stagg if I'd realized how heavy it was, even if it was the only pink (and non-Hannah-Montana) 3/4 guitar they had.

For my money, the Ibanez is the winner.

GAD

7. fuzz_factor

So I took my sister guitar shopping today and we tried a bunch of stuff. Unfortunately, we didn't really find any decent shorter scale guitar. We did, however, find an Ibanez she really liked:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GAX70-Electric-Guitar?sku=519404

GAD: Weight is definitely an issue for her. We picked up several guitars and she put them right down because they were too heavy.

The Ibanez Mikro looks perfect for her. I wish they had one at Guitar Center (I might have missed it...).

Now I'm wondering: Do I get her the full scale Ibanez she likes and let her grow into it (she's twelve, and probably due for a growth spurt), or get the shorter scale? I'd let her decide, but again, I couldn't find a shorter scale guitar for her to try.

Thanks again for all the opinions.

8. GAD

9. fuzz_factor

No Sam Ash, but ordering via GC is a good idea. Thanks.

- jeff -

10. froglord

froglord Member

How about just using a capo? Might be a cheap and cheerful solution.

11. fuzz_factor

Hadn't thought of that! Well, she's using my first guitar (a Squier Strat upgraded with a very nice neck) right now. I'll see how it goes.

At least she's having fun and learning a couple of chords.

12. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

13. GAD

Also try trolling around the smaller music stores. I got ours in a little mom-and-pop store.

GAD

14. Ud Reks

Ud Reks Member

Brian May guitars, the Minimay just arrived.

It's easily the best built of the short scale guitars I've ever played (i.e. Squier Mini, Ibanez, LP Pee-Wee, etc.).

Just seems like a solid quality guitar all around. Supposedly the pickup is the exact same as on the Burns Red Special.

As always with these things, you can't play in standard tuning because of the short scale (even though the ads say you can). I tune them three steps up, G-C-F-A#-D-G, and it sounds good.

Warning: it's a heavy sucker for a small guitar. I have a 4 year old, and I've simply been looking for something to buy her off so she doesn't do a bee-line for my room whenever she hears me playing. Then I have to sit there for 15 minutes as she strums my guitars and sings her songs. This thing must weigh at least 6 pounds, I'm guessing.

15. frank62

frank62 Member

Squire Vintage Vibe 50s Dou-Sonic.

16. swangdb

swangdb Member

I'd like a strat with a short scale neck like that. I guess the pickups would need to be moved slightly (squashed toward the neck) and the pickguard would need to be cut with the pickups slightly closer together.