• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Shortest 1/4" male - male pedal connectors?

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
I'm looking for the shortest little straight 1/4" male to 1/4" male connectors for attaching pedals (e.g. Boss type) right next to each other as close as possible. Basically, like a patch cable with no cable.

So far, both locally and online I've only found the ones from Hosa. But they have a1" or so metal cylinder between the two plugs that separates them more than some right angle cable plugs would. That sort of defeat the purpose of using the connectors in the first place.

I know there are shorter ones. Just can't remember who makes them or where to buy them.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
There are several threads about these. Since pedals shift, and their sides aren't perfectly straight, these adapters you are looking into can damage the pedal jacks.

It's safter to use a 6" long patch cable with pancake plugs.

DaveKS

There are several threads about these. Since pedals shift, and their sides aren't perfectly straight, these adapters you are looking into can damage the pedal jacks.

It's safter to use a 6" long patch cable with pancake plugs.
This, those pedal cranks will be nothing but bad news for you in the future.

rumbletone

Silver Supporting Member
Sounds like you want to use pancake plugs, with a short cable (though the cable length is irrelevant to the spacing of the pedals - that's just determined by thickness of the pancake plugs - though presumably you want to minimize cable length also for cost, weight, and tone reasons).

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
This, those pedal cranks will be nothing but bad news for you in the future.
Yeah, I had an older, longer connector that I tried with some BYOC pedals I built. They absolutely don't work due to the BYOC enclosure side walls not being parallel to each other. They have a bit of draft, maybe to do with the casting process. I would only use something like that for Boss pedals since they seem to be parallel to each other, perpendicular to the floor, and their power jacks are on top. There's really no need for loads of real estate between Boss pedals.

I guess I should look deeper into the pancake type plugs. The only cables I have like that were some real cheapies I bought in the '80s! I know that the kit type pedalboard jacks that I've tried tend to be way chunkier than they need to be. This includes George Ls, Lava and Planet Waves. Especially true if you have a bunch of pedals with jacks in the same place, so they have to go back to back, not offset.

Guitar1969

I use these on a few tpedals that are right next to each other and go inline - The offset cam is great, since pedals have some variation in input/outputs, but one thing I don't like is they are very hard to maneuver if you are using velcro to fasten down your pedals. It took me awhile of taking them off and on and puts a lot of strain on the jack plug when setting up. Once everything is in place they are fine.

ylo

The pancake plugs from Lava seem to be the slimmest at 0.41 inches. This means you can put two pedals 0.82 inches apart, or 0.41 inches apart if the I/O jacks do not line up with each other. I was able to save enough space on the upper tier of my board to go from five pedals to six just by switching from another brand of pancakes to the Lava!

RMosack

Silver Supporting Member
The pancake plugs from Lava seem to be the slimmest at 0.41 inches. This means you can put two pedals 0.82 inches apart, or 0.41 inches apart if the I/O jacks do not line up with each other. I was able to save enough space on the upper tier of my board to go from five pedals to six just by switching from another brand of pancakes to the Lava!
Looks interesting. But unless I'm misreading their site, $15.55 for a 3" patch cable seems a bit absurd.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Interesting. Pics would be nice to see especially since the difference is a matter of 1/16-1/8" in most cases.

Trending Topics