Shortlist of Output Transformers

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by DylanGuitar, Mar 29, 2008.

1. DylanGuitar

DylanGuitar Member

Hey all. Kind of new the transformer swap and I was wondering if anyone could give a shortlist of Output Transfrormers makers other than Mercury Magnetics. I'm hardpressed to believe that there arent' quality transformers to be had by those of us on a budget. I just don't know which companies they are, so if anyone could provide any info.

Thanks!

2. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

I've had good luck w/ the Heyboers...

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Hammond are decent for the budget minded, but the others usually sound better, in my opinion. You get what you pay for, sometimes.

4. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

I bought a Hammond OT and PT pair from a local supplier to slap in a 15 watt "design" I'm working on. I have a MM loaded amp of similar topology next to it on my bench.

I'm not sure yet where my limiting factors are, but I'm starting to narrow down the differences in tone and feel to the transformers.

At some point I'm going to buy MM's to put into my project and I'll know a lot more about how I like them vs Hammond.

I'll probaby buy a Heyboer pair too before wrapping it all up, so I can compare those too.

I've always heard great things about Heyboer though. Doesn't TopHat use those?

5. VikingAmps

VikingAmps Member

I think Heyboers work really well in Marshall sounding amps, but for the Fendery stuff you really need a Merc to get it. Of course the MM Radiospares are about the best for Marshalls.

6. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    TopHat has a proprietary design from Heyboer. You know I love the sound of my TopHat amps they just kill me but the whole overbuilt to proprietary spec thing --- Does it mean that the guys that make these OT's for a living could make them better but aren't ?

OT's are important but where you use what type of wire is too and exactly the formula of the conductor and insulation as well, it all acts in concert for voicing an amp. here is a good supply source http://www.angela.com/

Its interesting that in the DIY designs at Angela he states he prefers a certain fender oem part # in his design to his own product.

The interview with Ken Fisher in Dave Hunter's Amp Handbook just flicked the switch for me on a lot of reasons why two of the same amps can sound different with the exact same tubes and hardware made on the same bench by the same person the same week.

EnJoY ThE MuSiC
    GrooVey Records

Listening to Ravi Shankar- Chants of India

7. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

GrooVey, What's the title of the Dave Hunter book? I keep hearing about it. I need to get a copy!

Thanks,

Paul

8. Swarty

Swarty Member

Heyboer and TMI are very good as is MM, but MM always cost substantially more.

9. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    The Guitar Amp Handbook