Should a buy a crate V 18 amp at MF or sam ash

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by edwarddavis, Sep 5, 2008.

1. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

See these are dirt cheap tube amps is it worth it can I play out with it or do they sound terrible , I know you get what you pay for but heard theymaybe good , opionions before I pull the trigger please.

2. StudioRat320

StudioRat320 Member

I'm gonna try the V18 2x12. Might sound good and would be a good platform for experimentation. At these prices you can't afford not to pull the trigger.

3. DavidE

DavidE Member

I returned the V18 2x12 yesterday due to no clean headroom. For $50 more, I'd suggest the V33 2x12 that I kept.

4. richey88

richey88 Member

DavidE is right about the clean headroom. Although, if you keep the gain about 3 and crank the master (don't stand too close). It ain't all that bad (I have the V18 1-12), plus I am going to try a 12at or AY7 in V1 this weekend. YMMV, but for $149, I think it can't be beat. I have only had it a week, but mine's a keeper.

5. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

See that's it. Even after you mod a bit, it's still a rock bottom bargain. I'd suggest one those killer Warehouse speakers. For well under $250 you'll end up with something gigable and awesome. But it depends on the style you play. For me, a dirty blues guy, or if you play roots rock, early breakup is way cool. But for a cover band where you need to get a lot of squeaky-clean loud sparkly U2 chimey stuff or chrome-coated clean lo-down country twang, the V18 probably wouldn't work for you.

I do get lovely chimey Twinish cleans out of my V32H, so the V33 while not as good should still work pretty well for that.

6. nomadh

nomadh Member

I love my v30. People say the v33 can sound alot like the v30 with minor mods.

7. cap'n'crunch

cap'n'crunch Member

Speaking of the V18, does anyone know what those "reverb in" and "reverb out" jacks are for? Is that some sort of loop?

Thanks

8. richey88

richey88 Member

9. Douganator

Douganator Silver Supporting Member

I had a Crate V32 that really has some cool sounds but it had too much hiss for me...

Doug

10. richey88

richey88 Member