Should a middle school Teacher know how to spell?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Pastafarian, May 15, 2019.

1. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Has nobody dropped this old chestnut yet?!

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  2. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

The expanded version of the FANBOYS mnemonic is as hilarious as it is ungainly.

QRSS likes this.
  3. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

To answer the question in the title:
    Yes, IMO

Pastafarian likes this.
  4. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

Don't nuke this thread with politics.

5. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Why stop there? The rest of the “joke” is And those who can’t teach teach PE.

Which is also bovine fecal matter.

6. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

It's in there!

I hope I didn't offend by quoting an old joke.

I happen to have a lot of respect for teachers and believe teachers are with police and firefighters at the top of the list of underpaid professions.
    I just think that's a funny line in the move (particularly how it's extended).

55goldtop likes this.
  7. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

That is on me for not watching. Sorry.

I am not offended and I do have a sense of humor. I too have told that joke but with a bit of sarcasm.

I will advocate for public school as long as I breathe.

4b454e likes this.
  8. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Yeah, when I hear people say it like they think it's true, I'm not long for that conversation.

aiq likes this.
  9. CheckSix

CheckSix Gold Supporting Member

Come on man! Seriously?

Yup! true... and don't take this the wrong way but teachers chose their career, warts and all. No one forced them to work there. You are teaching... history, math, English, etc.... to children. Important? yes... but it is not the same as designing and building bridges or inventing new electronics technology or designing and manufacturing cars or a practicing Physician.... and so on and so forth. BIG difference in my book.

My sister was a H.S. gym teacher for her whole working career. (funny video up above! Those that can't teach, teach gym.) Alternatively, I took a high tech science and engineering path for a career. She used to complain all the time about how hard her job was.... so, I bit and started asking questions, lots of probing questions... drilling down deeper and deeper about what was so hard about her job. End result? First of all, she was absolutely clueless about what was expected in a private sector white collar job and all the performance expectations, goals & objectives, metrics and so forth. She would've folded like a cheap suit, in my work environment. Her main frustration was, that she had to show up at work and make kids do things, that they didn't necessarily want to do. LOL!!!!!! I kid you not. She always complained about the pay. I pointed out that she only worked ~9 months out the year teaching kids how to play games and then took 3 months off vacationing. Yes, you work 75% of a year, you get paid 75% of an annual salary. Duh!

So, for doing that for 30 yrs, she got full pension and fully paid healthcare and retired at the age of 55 and became an alcoholic. She died last year at 71, from health issues related from her smoking and drinking.

Like I mentioned yesterday in this thread... I had 2 teachers in H.S. that I really valued. One, more than the other. I happened to catch him when he was in his 1st year of teaching and he was so enthusiastic, passionate and inspiring on teaching us Physics. He was probably only 7-8 yrs older than me at the time. He inspired me to do really well. We ended up doing things like work on cars together and flying airplanes, all outside of school. In hindsight, he was like having the older brother I never had. I credit him for turning me around and I still keep in touch with him, 49 yrs later. He looks at my LinkedIn profile and is proud. I let him know he is responsible for this. I'm sure as a teacher, it is this kind of thing that is the true job satisfaction reward. You made a difference! Well done! I'm sure other students had different experiences and were attracted to other teachers that I was not. And so it goes. From my experience, the truly great teachers, that inspire young minds are few and far between. University was a different thing... had a few great professors there too. One was the physics dept head, that took me under his wing. Go figure! ;)

10. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

How did these important workers get to their positions?

55goldtop and A-Bone like this.
  11. QRSS

QRSS brutalist

they must’ve all been homeschooled ... :rolleyes:

55goldtop likes this.
  12. CheckSix

By being selected after a rigorous interview process amongst many prospective candidates for the position. Best of the best.

13. CheckSix

the smartest and best engineer I ever worked with.... was self taught. No degree.

True story: The dumba$$ HR dept came up with a new policy that you had to have a degree, to have an Engineer title. We all complained that this was silly. But Dan said: OK, no problem. He accessed an accredited online university, tested out of everything and was awarded his BSEE degree in 9 months. Got his MSEE shortly thereafter and IIRC, there was some pretty funny stuff with HR and here's your stinking degree... give me my Engineer title back. Dan was a true genius... and self taught.

NewLeaf09 likes this.
  14. CaptainCrunch137

CaptainCrunch137 Member

My math professor is a pretty bad speller but he is very good at math.

15. 4b454e

4b454e Supporting Member

Exceptional, in at least two senses of the word :aok

And, yeah - such policies are definitely malarkey - proven performers should be grandfathered

CheckSix likes this.
  16. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

I thought it was deliberate.

17. CheckSix

So, you don't know the whole story... he was just as brilliant on the mechanical side. Design, machining, materials, the whole thing. He single-handedly designed custom machines under pc control (he wrote the logic also), that tested custom RF amplifier modules, after the leads were formed and trimmed, wrote the test software, the whole enchilada. One operator put in raw modules and got finished, tested modules out from an indexing rotary dial about 6' in diameter. It took him about 3-4 months to do the whole workstation, including the machining of the dial, the weldment, the drive, the work stations, the cut/form dies, the pc and software for control, the RF test system, the test interface. He was not only a great EE, he was our top RF guy and great on the mechanical side and systems controls.

And HR went and eff'ed with him. :jo :facepalm Morons.

The first time I ever went over to his house, was for a Christmas party back in the late 80's. He had his two autonomous robots, that he built from scratch, one serving us drinks and the other hors d'oeuvers. LOL!!!

FYI... from what I understand, all those Redbox movie rental kiosks, are his design.

SELF-TAUGHT.

4b454e and 55goldtop like this.
  18. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

I drove by a tattoo shop today called "Peep Show Tattoo's".

That's on the sign.

I wonder how many spelling errors they have put on people over the years.

My ex brother in law had a tattoo that read "If you kill my demons, my angles may die as well".

FWIW, at one time he was a teacher as well.

CheckSix likes this.
  19. CheckSix

The irony is deep with this one.