Should Electro-Harmonix make a dedicated 'swell/attack' pedal like that of the POG2?

Should Electro-Harmonix make a dedicated 'swell/attack' pedal like that of the POG2?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
these are pretty cool, but hard to come by:

attackdecay.jpg

Hey, I've been checking this thread because I'm also blown away by the extra 'bells & whistles' on my POG2. I didn't realize how much mileage I'd get out of them when i first got the pedal. Purchased as a replacement for my old DigiTech Whammy, it does so much more than I expected. Like the OP, I often run it just for the EQ/filter options, without any pitch shifting effects

But, no matter how I set any of the controls, I've never heard anything remotely like reverb (or delay) coming out of POG2 (or any pitch shifter I've owned, IIRC). Probably a dumb question, but what am I missing here?

Im also not too sure about that one either..

the DOD FX15 appears to be just like a standard volume swell though? From the limited sound clips I heard

ERGExplorer

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, but the reason I spelled out the POG/HOG function like that, is that it's the easiest way to implement that kind of sound.

Let me ask a slightly different question, because it will be interesting to see what you all come up with: What combination of effects would you chain together to get the kind of smooth octave sound generated by the OG gear, along with the lack of polyphony issues?

I'm coming at this from the point of view of being a synthesist for years, and then using effect pedals as a non-MIDI/non-GK-pickup modular synth. I've used pedal chains to build the Space Station sounds when I was briefly without one, and the OG pedals are (to my ears and with how one builds them a la carte) in the same family, but I'm always interested in knowing how others get there.

Best of all, being able to "build" one using conventional effects means one might find the way to get that swell/attack mode without needing to buy another pedal, even though one might go for one due to convenience. My compact Space Station alternatives, for example, are the Zcat Hold/Chorus and Hold 2.

ERGExplorer

The question is pretty straightforward, although if one doesn't have much experience with combining effect, I can see how it might seem like magic.

Can you get something close to the POG/HOG sounds, even just a single channel/octave, using a chain of standard effects?

Really though, if the idea is so unexpected, I highly recommend the Effectology series of videos on YouTube, along with the corresponding posts on the Electro Harmonix forum, for an idea of how various effects can be combined in startling and amazing ways.

I also highly recommend reading the various ambient/soundscape topics here, to get an idea of how other guitarists are using pedal combinations to get into the same ballpark.

Happy reading!

The question is pretty straightforward, although if one doesn't have much experience with combining effect, I can see how it might seem like magic.

Can you get something close to the POG/HOG sounds, even just a single channel/octave, using a chain of standard effects?

Really though, if the idea is so unexpected, I highly recommend the Effectology series of videos on YouTube, along with the corresponding posts on the Electro Harmonix forum, for an idea of how various effects can be combined in startling and amazing ways.

I also highly recommend reading the various ambient/soundscape topics here, to get an idea of how other guitarists are using pedal combinations to get into the same ballpark.

Happy reading!

I am with you now! And yes, I have tried to use several effects to get the tone - combining the current swell pedals on the market, and turning down my tone knob, adding a reverb pedal, using delays, etc, etc...none of which gave me the tone of the POG2.
And by the end of it all, it was defeating the purpose of the expersice in the first place - because I am trying to use LESS pedals and take up LESS real-estate.

So yes, I get what youre saying - and Im sure with enough experimentation and mucking around you could emulate the POG2 effect with numerous pedals or other things but it completely defeats the purpose. With all the mucking around, it would just be simpler and easier again to buy another POG2 (which Ive done).

So after all of that...really, if EHX could just come out with a singular pedal that does that awesome effect all problems with be solved!

Yes...with a longer swell.

FYI...I get the "bowed cello" sound using the reverse reverb setting on the Hardwire reverb pedal. It works great! (but I wish the decay could be longer)

Yes...with a longer swell.

FYI...I get the "bowed cello" sound using the reverse reverb setting on the Hardwire reverb pedal. It works great! (but I wish the decay could be longer)

YES! Thankyou! A longer swell WOULD be great although I do love the maximum setting on the POG2 atm anyway.

I have tried Hardwire - still didnt quite do it for me! Couldnt get it to match the POG, but it was actually better than the volume swell pedals I tried

I have one of those and its unusable, no range at all. The VFE Bumblebee works great, and adds an optical compressor to the circuit in a small-box enclosure.

Again, the Bumblebee doesn't do what the POG does. It does a good job of emulating a volume pedal, but not the bowed string effect like the POG

keenan

Did you not read my disclaimer at the top of the post, or any of the comments posted throughout this entire thread??? Seriously?

Did you not read his username at the top of his post!? Seriously!?
:munch

I want that old EHX one. I can't say I'd encourage them to make something that would cannzbalize from another (more expensive) product in their line. I want them to stay in business :))

One more thought. Have you ever tried an ebow?

Tried an ebow, yep. Freaking awesome units, and sounds awesome.
BUT its kinda the same prinicpal (practicality wise) as a volume pedal.
Its the remoteness and ability to just 'turn on an forget' that makes the POG2 so awesome.
But yes, the ebow's are great

Top Bottom