Should Fender bring the spoke-wheel truss rod to the American Standards?

Would you like to see the spoke-wheel truss rod incorporated into the Fender American Standards?

• Yes

Votes: 70 63.1%
  • No

Votes: 41 36.9%

• Total voters

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
This year Fender introduced the spoke-wheel style truss rod into their lineup with the new Elite series Strats and Teles. Assuming there were still reissues to satisfy the demands of those who wanted the vintage style design, would you like to see the spoke wheel make its way to the American series axes?

JPIndustrie

Silver Supporting Member
Frankly I'd like to see it on the traditional 'joint-end' adjustment models, like a '62 Hot Rod AVRI pt 2... :hide2

strumnhum

I think they should, but don't think the general public would go for it. To me, it would seem better than the headstock adjustment, which can result in the wood there getting beat up, or the adjustment rounding out. But tradition will most likely persist, though the spoke wheel seems a better option to me.

BMX

I don't know much about them but I'm all for including innovations that help with truss rod adjustments, either making them easier or more functional.

I like vintage guitars and vintage reissues but my main requirement is what would work best on the day of a gig. If this would save time I'm all for it.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
I like innovation when it is a useful change - not just change for change sake, but an actual improvement.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
I like innovation when it is a useful change - not just change for change sake, but an actual improvement.
And you don't feel the spoke-wheel truss rod is an improvement over the headstock-adjusting single rod Fender uses the American Standards now?

If not, why?

In my mind it is a colossal improvement, first and foremost because it requires no special tools. You could probably adjust it with a paper clip if you had to.

supergenius365

Silver Supporting Member
And you don't feel the spoke-wheel truss rod is an improvement over the headstock-adjusting single rod Fender uses the American Standards now?

If not, why?

In my mind it is a colossal improvement, first and foremost because it requires no special tools. You could probably adjust it with a paper clip if you had to.
Yes, I think it is an improvement. I am all for changes that truly improve things. I was thinking (but did not write) about Gibson 2015 when I posted. Those changes were not "improvements" so much as change just to change (though Gibson tried to claim otherwise).

mark123

Stupid question, is the Fender spoke wheel truss rod the same basic thing that Ernie Ball uses or is it different?

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, I think it is an improvement. I am all for changes that truly improve things. I was thinking (but did not write) about Gibson 2015 when I posted. Those changes were not "improvements" so much as change just to change (though Gibson tried to claim otherwise).
Ah...gotcha. :)

Very similar, if not the same thing.
Yep...same basic thing. It's a double rod, with a spoke wheel as the adjustment nut.

amstrtatnut

If not, why?

An allen wrench is easy to come by. I think Id rather see a discreet hole in headstock than a notch in pg. Functionally I dont think its a big deal.

Johnny Alien

Silver Supporting Member
An allen wrench is easy to come by. I think Id rather see a discreet hole in headstock than a notch in pg. Functionally I dont think its a big deal.
Most holes in the headstock are not discreet. I think a truss wheel when done correct is way more elegant than headstock truss access plus the headstock adjustment can possible weaken the neck at that point.

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
To make it work with Fenders vintage/original 2-3/16" neck pocket specs both neck and body must be modified. You have to put a notch in the fretboard overhang of a 22 fret neck, and also a notch in the body and pickguard at the end of the heel. IOW, there is no way to make it backwards compatible.

amstrtatnut

Most holes in the headstock are not discreet. I think a truss wheel when done correct is way more elegant than headstock truss access plus the headstock adjustment can possible weaken the neck at that point.
Hmmm. I have three strats with headstock adjust. I dont notice the holes. Never ever heard of weakening headstock with headstock adjust. Been playing a long time and owned many strats. That has never come up.

ED_P

Silver Supporting Member
I really don't touch my truss rods after any initial adjustment when I acquire the guitar. I prefer something used so rarely to be a bit more hidden away, from an aesthetic view point.

Kmaz

Silver Supporting Member
I would like to see the vintage-style truss adjust on the American Standards, but with access made available without having to loosen or remove the neck.

Trending Topics