Should I avoid using a 100 watt attenuator w/ a 20 watt amp?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by wrxplayer, Feb 15, 2009.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm looking for an attenuator for my 20 watt combo. Have a line on a used one rated at 100 watts. I've read you need to double the wattage of your amp when buying an attenuator. Does that mean I should go w/ a 50 watt attenuator or will the 100 watt one work just as well?

Tnx.

2. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

My Ultimate Attenuator can handle 200 watts and I've used it for my 18 watt Marshall and my Divided by 13 (switchable between 9 or 15 watts). No issues. Sounds great.

3. Brock

Brock Member

Same with mine. I have a 200 watt Ultimate attenuator and I run it with my 67' 18 watt combo. I dont think I'll ever need a overdrive pedal ever again. Sweetest tone. I played with the band the other day and I got tons of compliments on my tone. Play it loud....But soft!

4. hasserl

hasserl Member

No issues w/ using a 100 watt attenuator on a 20 watt amp. But you guys using a UA, better be setting your impedance switch to 16. Don't use that attenuator with 8 ohms or less.

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

What kind of attenuator? When I use my Hot Plate on my AC30 it makes it muddy. High wattage resistive load attenuators just suck the life out of small wattage amps. A speaker cone driven one like a Weber or a load simulator mosfet one like a Ho/UA won't care tonally. All are safe to use.