Should I be angry about the Jeff Beck VIP deal?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by kramerlover, May 14, 2015.

1. kramerlover

kramerlover Axe Marauder Silver Supporting Member

OK... Loved the concert, but here is the scoop -

Tickets went on sale about 6 months ago for Jeff Beck at a small venue outside of Pittsburgh, PA.

VIP tickets were $250. My lovely wife bought me a " Front Row Center" seat for my Christmas gift. I could not have been happier! The VIP package included passes to the sound check and a couple small items like a tote bag, poster, and a lanyard.

Now here is the part where I assumed something... Since the next best tickets were less than $90, (and I had VIP tickets for other artists that included a "meet and greet"), I expected to meet Jeff Beck, hopefully get a pic with him, and have him autograph an album cover. All fairly common with a VIP pass from my experience.

About 2 weeks before the concert, I received an email stating that there would be "No Meet and Greet or pictures permitted". This was a bulk email sent to all VIP ticket holders. At this point, I was quite disappointed. A friend of mine bought an $85 ticket for the concert and was in row D. I paid $250 for a ticket in row A. Was the extra $165 worth it for the sound check and trinkets? I responded to the email and asked if I could return my VIP ticket and get a regular ticket since meeting Beck and getting an autograph was the part that made me choose to spend the additional money. Their response was "No refunds".

The night of the concert rolls around and I decide to make the best of it, so I head over for the concert. When I get in for the sound check - I find out that they sold so many VIP tickets that the venue added 2 rows of chairs in front on row A. So now I don't even have the "front row seat" that I paid for. There were no "Orchestra Pit" seats offered at the time my ticket was purchased. To ad insult to injury, I found out that there were people who were permitted to stay afterward and meet Jeff Beck and receive autographs. They had a sticker on their VIP passes that most of us did not receive.

The upside of all of this is that Jeff Beck was phenomenal and the sound check was beautiful. I have seen him before and would see him again, but I can't get over the feeling that I was screwed out of a bunch of money by the VIP package.

So I would like to hear the opinions of my brothers and sisters of tgp...

2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I think you have a right to be pissed about the added rows of seats in front of your "front row" seat....

The meet and greet/photo op seems like an assumption and that would leave me making VERY sure what was promised with any tickets I purchased in the future. Lesson learned.

Bet that sticker those other folks got cost a bundle....

Glad it was a great show. :)

3. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

^ agreed
    nothing more to add.

4. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Supporting Member

They had the same deal when he came through with ZZ top. 250 for some swag and soundcheck. No implication of meeting him. I almost bit.

5. kramerlover

kramerlover Axe Marauder Silver Supporting Member

Agreed... Lesson learned regarding knowing exactly what I am getting for my money. I am going to be more proactive and hopefully this thread will save someone else from disappointment as well.

6. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Jeff Beck doesn't strike me as a guy who's keen on meeting people and chatting.

7. 84superchamp

84superchamp Silver Supporting Member

i wonder if you would have had any options, maybe recouping part of your ticket price, if you had put it on a CC and filed a complaint with them.
    also, glad you enjoyed Jeff's part of the show.

8. grill

grill Member

wow!!!

i would be pissed! besides the disappointment.

pissed that they added rows in front of you.

if it did not say meet and greet. then, hey....

i paid big bucks to meet ian anderson, and had almost the whole first row to myself to invite my 2 friends down from the back.

they paid a lot less but didn't get all the swag.

lol.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  9. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Wow.....that would have upset me for sure. At least you got to enjoy Jeff. Sorry that happened OP.

10. o0Ampy0o

o0Ampy0o Member

It was a Christmas gift from your wife. You didn't pay or get screwed out of anything. Even though the money may actually come from you in a community pot or as the sole breadwinner just look at it my way and enjoy the memory.

I do believe that was mishandled and you should feel a bit screwed. Your feelings are valid. Nothing you can do about it though.

11. gmann

gmann Member

Meet and greets, you're payin' some guy who doesn't know you or care about you, on a personal basis, to hang out with you for a few minutes. Some artists make the most of these types of things, Joe B for instance, and for others it's just a money grab. For Jeff Beck it sounds like 'mission accomplished, money grab complete'. After gettin' your money you get a note sayin' that's all you're gettin'. His management knew this going in, and then they oversold the event. Classy. At least the show was good.

12. Blue410

Blue410 Silver Supporting Member

The misrepresentation regarding the original ticket purchase would naturally get most guys pissed. That said, although there are a lot of guitarists whose music was a part of my younger years - there isn't a single one of them whom I feel compelled to meet in person simply to babble how much they mean to me... I understand right up front that they're not a personal friend.

13. jhc

jhc Senior Member

What high-profile artists really enjoy "meeting people and chatting"? None of them is my guess. Their time is money, and they'd rather be with friends or family or by themselves than with a bunch of fans, but the extra money they get from the meet and greets is a business move.

If I were the OP, I'd be irritated that a $250 VIP ticket didn't include a meet and greet, but I'd be more irritated at myself for not confirming that it did. (I also am not a fan of the forced vibe of the typical "meet and greet" and would never pay for it, but that's a different issue). I'd be truly pissed at the fact that rows of seats were added in front of him.

14. StuRdesign

StuRdesign Member

I'd never pay extra for the chance to meet a "name", they either want to meet you or they don't. Personally I'd maybe shake them up a bit by emailing a claim for a partial refund as the "front row seat" was mis-sold.

15. elron hoover

elron hoover Member

You can't really complain about not meeting Jeff if it wasn't advertised as a meet-and-greet, but corporate greed screwed you out of the front row. I feel you are definitely owed a partial refund that you will probably never see.

16. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

+1

These artists don't care about meeting you or me. Guys like Jeff Beck became famous because of their music, not because they're great to hang out with. If I pay to see them, I want them to do what I'm paying for: play music and don't try to pretend that they're my "buddy."

17. colinesquire

colinesquire Member

This is what I would do. Dispute the difference in price with your CC. No fault a Mr Becks of course-sounds like sleazy promoter shenanigins.

18. grill

grill Member

i hope he kissed her and thanked her for the gift.

internalize it until he explodes in a road rage confrontation.

19. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

Curious which venue? Palace Theater in Greensburg?

20. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

I've reread the op a few times and honestly, it appears to me you got what was advertised. Adding the extra chairs was a little cheesy, though.