Should I be apprehensive about putting $300+ into my cheap Les Paul

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jimmyohio75, Dec 5, 2017.

1. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

100% go for it. I like those things a lot and the better pickups are exactly what it needs to become a great guitar.

2. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Definitely a worthwhile skill BUT if you do buy an iron, BUY A GOOD ONE. I bought a $12 iron from RadioShack and it has made me want to pull my hair out many times. Makes the job 10x harder than it needs to be.

lexreverb and toddincharlotte like this.
  3. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

I just think it is a good feeling to be able to do a little basic luthiery on your own. And at very least, be able to swap pickups when you feel like it.

The only way I would hire someone else would be, if a friend was in business at it and appeared to have been forgotten, and could use the work. I guess they don't even have classes for this in High School or Adult Education anymore in most places. Simple things like knowing how to solder well, lessen the sense of impotence as various world rulers face off against one another and other mayhem ensues. Soldering as therapy? Why not!

4. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Don’t forget to do the abr and historic plastics next!

Just kidding, let us know how it turns out.

5. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

****************UPDATE*******************

I got my guitar back today (a day earlier than promised). WOW! Talk about an improvement! It is like a brand new guitar. The Pearly Gates pickups are awesome. The guitar tech rewired the pickups and pots to 50’s wiring. Makes a big difference when rolling back the guitar volume. The guitar shop gave me a great deal on the whole project. I bought the PG pickups from them and they installed the pickups, rewired the whole thing and finished with a set up all for $318. The pickups alone cost $239 (at most online retailers).
    Overall very pleased. This guitar is a gigging machine now. Well spent money indeed.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    ddhr, manimal, Arewenotmen? and 6 others like this.
  6. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

PG set retails for $199, even direct from Seymour.
    Still, rewiring, install, setup for $118 is a good deal.

Glad you dig it. I have a 93 Standard w a zebra PG set in it and it sounds great.
    I hadn't played it in a long time, but set it up last night and it's got the tone.

7. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

With nickel covers they are $239 a set at GC, MF and Sweetwater. I got nickel covered ones because the stock Tribute had nickel covered pickups.

ferrinbonn and sundog964 like this.
  8. edward

edward Supporting Member

Good deal, OP ...well done! FWIW, you'd spend far more than that to find an LP as light as your Trib! ...good job!!

Now go learn how to solder (easy and inexpensive) and save yourself even more for your next project ;)

Edward

ChampReverb and jimmyohio75 like this.
  9. AudioWonderland

AudioWonderland Member

That's standard procedure around here. The pickups can come back out if you sell it. Learn to solder and save a ton of money. Dad was a Ham radio tinkerer and he taught me to solder when I was young. Probably too young! It has saved me do much money over the years though.

10. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

You need to make darn sure it's the pickups making the guitar sound bad to you. Sometimes no matter what you put in a guitar it won't improve it. The pickups you're thinking of adding aren't altogether different from what you have in it assuming it has the originals.

Cliffhydro likes this.
  11. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Any time I’ve been in a similar scenario with a guitar, I’ve opted to sell it and buy the “next level up” (ie. Studio>Traditional, etc) rather than swap pickups, change electronics, etc.

For me, it’s the best move. Far better to choose a guitar that makes me totally happy “as-is,” than to sink money into a guitar I’m luke-warm on and will possibly (likely) still not be happy with afterward and lose money selling.

12. Luva

Luva Supporting Member

Thanks for letting us know how things turned out. Glad you had a good outcome! Now, do follow up on all the good advice you have received - to buy a good soldering iron so you never need to use a guitar tech again, at least to swap out electronic components on an electric guitar. The right tools plus a little YouTube is all you need.

jimmyohio75 likes this.
  13. Cliffhydro

Cliffhydro Supporting Member

Same magnet right?

Would the wiring make that much of a difference? I have the same guitar and have been on the fence about a pickup change for a while now, but have been wondering about the pcb and the pots.

14. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Depends really. Some people swear by different wiring schemes, but it's a personal decision.

15. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

All I know is that the 490’s were bright, muddy and harsh sounding. The Pearly Gates are warmer and much more articulate. I almost sold my amp thinking that it was bright and harsh. Turns out it was the pickups. Amp sounds great now.

Rhythm Rocker and Cliffhydro like this.
  16. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Cool. Before you edited your posted it looked like you were seeing $289 or $299 on them. Enjoy the tone!

jimmyohio75 likes this.
  17. Cliffhydro

Cliffhydro Supporting Member

Nice. Good info. I guess I'm gonna pull mine. Although I'm leaning towards Dimarzio 36th Anniversary. Muddy and harsh is definitely how I'd describe the 490s.

18. LarryBirdsFace

LarryBirdsFace Member

Hell yeah, you should. It already hits the important part, it plays GREAT!! Sound can always be tweaked, the way a guitar plays and feels can't (within reason outside of a setup and action adjustment)
    Pickups and electronics will make a big difference, then adjusting your amp to hit the sweet spots will make you feel like you've won the lottery. Do it, don't look back, grip it and rip it, dude!!!

EDIT:: Apparently I didn't finish reading the thread, glad you like it!!!

19. Rhythm Rocker

Rhythm Rocker Member

The pickups were 490R & 490T, not Burstbucker Pros.

Did you know that those 490R & 490T were reverse polarity....
    Pickup: Rhythm
    Style 490R
    Magnet material: Alnico II
    Polarities: Screw side is the south pole of magnet Reversed Polarity

Pickup: Lead

Style: 490T
    Magnet Material: Alnico II
    Polarities: Reversed Polarity

Tonal & Resonant Advancements: Better Hum canceling with reverse polarity.
    http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2017/USA/Les-Paul-Tribute.aspx

20. paulvcarter

paulvcarter Supporting Member

If the basic wood is good, the neck is to your liking then upgrades are worth it. A less expensive guitar that plays well and stays in tune gives you much less worry, you can take it out and work it hard!

jimmyohio75 likes this.