• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Should I bother or not??????????

Cary Chilton

I might have an opportunity to pick up a 21fret strat for cheap... but all my guitars have ALL been 22 fret guitars. Is that going to drive me up the wall like I am guessing it might?????????:jo

Anyone have suggestions? or experiences to share?

fox5150

I shared the same concerns and then realised that I only ever play one song that uses the 22nd fret! I've got a gorgeous AV52RI Telecaster that has 21 frets and I don't miss the extra one that my strat and LP have got.

I say go for it!

Simon :)

909one

I have been playing for almost 20 years I have never used the 21st fret in a song ever. Or the 20th, 19th, 18th probably.

rockstarjay

You'll notice it at first if you're into lead playing, then you get used to it. But then you'll play one of your other guitars and find yourself running up to that 22nd fret a bit excessively simply because you can. Then you'll be over it. And if you are super loud and playing with distortion you can make that high D sound on the 21 fret neck if you want it bad enough (sort of like a fretless bass or violin).

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I miss the 22nd fret. That doesn't mean you will, but I wouldn't buy a 21 fret Strat.

RvChevron

I would buy the guitar for what it is. A good guitar is a good guitar regardless of number of frerts. If it speaks to you, buy it for what it is.

As for how often do one uses the 22nd fret, I do need it here and there. A lot of times it's for bending notes though. It's much easier to bend 3 steps up from the 22nd fret than bending 4 steps up from the 21st.

todd921

I have a strat, an SG, and a Kramer...betcha I'm not the only one here who can't tell you how many frets each one has without taking them out of the case and counting!

Guess I never really thought about this as a problem, though I can see where it could be an issue for some. If you like the instrument, go for it.

benjammin420

on the one hand, how often do you use that extra fret? but when you want to use it, would you rather it be there. it doesnt bother me to own a 21 fret strat, but every once and a while im going off and i find myself running out of room, i wish i had more frets, but not enough to do anything about it. its a very subjective/personal thing

shane8

"there's no money above the 5th fret" but sometimes i pay extra and go all teh way to 17 ;)

Trending Topics