Should I buy a Squier J. Mascis Jazzmaster?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sammicus15, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Sammicus15

Sammicus15 Member

Been looking at this one for awhile. Always wanted to try a Jazzmaster but I have never had a close encounter with one. Figured this may be a good introduction to the guitar. I also like the white/gold look. As far as Fender goes, I love teles, hate strats, and have never played a Jaguar or Jazzmaster. Anybody out there have/played one of these, and if so, what do you think?

Thanks.

2. tele118

tele118 Member

I love Jazzmasters. I highly suggest you try one before you buy. It's a different kind of beast. They also require some special care, but you can find threads on that already here.

3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

The Mascis doesn't really need that "special" care, which is because the bridge has been changed to a T.O.M. style.

buddaman71 likes this.
  4. tele118

tele118 Member

Yeah I just realized that. Was just looking up the guitar :bonk

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

yes buy one, they are really good guitars.

6. Trotter

Trotter Supporting Member

Absolutely a great guitar. Highly recommended.

buddaman71 likes this.
  7. WornFrets

WornFrets Supporting Member

The Squier Mascis is absolutely awesome. I have owned 10 Jazzmasters (vintage, AVRI, MIJ, etc) and the Mascis was the second best (my custom job MJT eventually won out, though not by much!).

You will not be disappointed. Fantastic guitars.

8. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Member

9. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

I liked mine a lot, and I had a couple other Jazzmasters at the time. I think for the dough it's a really good setup, and far more playable than some of the vintage-correct ones that you have to do a bunch of stuff to in order to make them usable.

I've heard good things about the Squier version, too.

10. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Member

I think we're talking about the Squier JMJM....

11. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

12. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Member

I have been wanting to take a picture and start a NGD thread for two weeks now, but I have been too busy at work.

I won one from Fender!!!

Since I have gotten it in, I have been amazed with this guitar. I also have a classic vibe tele that I really like, but this jazzmaster is in a different league. The neck is among my favorite feeling necks I have ever played. The pickups have a perfect balance between grit, thickness and clarity. I love the action on the trem.

I think after all these years playing guitar, I may have been a Jazzmaster guy the whole time!

and btw, I have many nice guitars. My les paul was $2300 12 years ago. The SQUIER J. Mascis is as nice as any. It shouldn't be, but it is.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  13. Johnkenn

Johnkenn Member

Is there any info on the new 2012 Squier VM Jazzmasters that just came out? The ones with the correct phase control and roller knobs and Seymore Duncan pickups? Wonder what they sound like? The neck pu on the blacktop Jazzmaster sounded like an ice pick...

14. memiller

memiller Member

They have the correct sounding pickups, not the Mascis P90 style. Good guitars. I have a Jag and will be picking up a Jazz once my gear equity gets reloaded.

15. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

I love them. The neck and bridge setup are the magic ingredients, IMO. I even like the "incorrect" P90 pickups.

16. Sammicus15

Sammicus15 Member

Wow. Overwhelmingly positive reviews here and everywhere else I have looked; the Jazzmaster has been ordered, shipped today - thanks everybody!!

17. mjgnyc

mjgnyc Member

Congrats!

Don't forget to give a review once you get it!

18. Sammicus15

Sammicus15 Member

Have had the Jazzy for a few days now... Still in the honeymoon phase but I absolutely love it. I have a feeling there may be more Jazzmasters in my future... I'm glad I took the plunge on this one.

With his brothers:

[​IMG]

19. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Member

Found this thread on the search. I know it's very old.

I've never paid much attention to Jazzmasters, but I picked up Boutique builder version in the shop the other day and sort of went Hmmmmm. I spent some time with tar and was toying with the idea of buying it (Over $3000)

I played a squire J Mascis today and though it's not a match in terms of weight in residence etc, I like the electronics *better* And have no complaints whatsoever and feel.

I realize the Mascis is not a "true " jazz master, but I think it is even better, for my taste. The bridge pick up is less peaky, and the controls work more consistently. I suspect had this configuration been first, the traditional JM as we know it may never have been.

I believe I will be adding one to my collection.

lugnut111 likes this.
  20. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

As I mention regularly, I gig my J Mascis Squier all the time. It's bone stock. And it's an amazing little guitar. So yes, you should buy one :)

lugnut111 and peskypesky like this.