Should I buy an Ac30HH?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by TimH, Jan 21, 2012.

1. TimH

TimH Member

My biggest hesitation with this amp: volume. However, with the triode option can this amp actually give up the goods at reasonable volumes? I'd be most happy running this amp with a bit of grit using a tele and then boosting it for higher gain sounds.

I can buy one for $800 CND.

2. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

in triode setting, it does get quiter, and when using the EF86 and put that channel in triode also (i think making it like 7.5watts?) it gets real quiet and can be cranked sufficiently.

i do prefer the tone from the full pentode settings myself.....

3. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

great amp! Plenty of power for anything I've ever done...Great for the studio as well.

4. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Fantastic amp, I love mine to bits. But not so much without modding, I must add. The 12AX7 channel sounds way better and deals with pedals a lot easier after clipping the bright cap. The overall volume is a problem in the pentode mode, but really, the triode mode sounds flat compared to the pentode mode. I had someone install a master volume (same as in the CC and current HW version) and never looked back. You can dial in crunch without overpowering the rest of the band.

5. TimH

TimH Member

That's awesome! I play music with an amp tech so I'm sure I can get him to help out with a MV mod.

6. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

Oh that's great! I know from my tech the schematic from the CC isn't hard to find and he basically just used that to make the PPIMV on the AC30HH. I must say it's a very good master volume. For some reason it even works better than on my AC15CC1x, which still needs to be turned up a bit too much. Preferrably I play on the verge of breakup: soft strumming clean, digging in for crunch. With the AC30HH that should be slightly after 9 o'clock. And without a master volume, that's loud :omg
    As for cabs: ofcourse an open back 2x12 with blues is great, but a closed back with M20s or M25s is great as well and V30s don't sound too bad either with this one.

7. jayn

jayn Member

Great amp - love mine. I don't know why anyone would use anything but pentode. The MV is a way better idea. I gig mine through the higher gain input, really barely on, but the clean tone and punch of the amp is exceptionally cool (usually on the fatter, gainier EF86 channel though).

8. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

I used to play on the EF86 side exclusively, until the bright cap was clipped on the Top Boost channel :drool But for slightly fattening up a thinner sounding guitar, you gotta love the EF86. Slightly more punch as well and different dynamics, especially playing higher up the fretboard.

9. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

what does the 'bright cap mod' on the top boost of the heritage actually do?

10. Mitch T

Mitch T Member

It cuts bass, dependant on the position of the volume control. Going straight to the amp: no problem, although it might sound a tad thin. The problem is that with real world volumes, your drivepedal will sound like you're tuned to AM radio. It won't be an overpowering bassy channel once clipped, it just sound fuller in a good way and will work with drivepedals just fine.