Should I buy an ES-335 0r______ ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by CNOTE, Sep 13, 2006.

1. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

I'm looking at acquiring a new Gibson Custom Shop ES-335. Should I be looking at another manufacturer who makes something similar or stick with the Gibson.

I own Strats, Tom Anderson Cobra, Gretch Chet Atkins Nashville and others. So now I'm wanting to add a 335 to the mix.

Just wanted to get your thoughts:AOK

2. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

There are options as far as other manufactures go (Heritage, Yamaha ect..)
    I like the 335 Vintage Reissue in blonde myself. A classic look.
    I have only played Gibson 335's and not tried the others for a cost/tone comparison.

3. gainiac

gainiac Senior Member

4. StratTone

StratTone Member

I always say stick with the manufaturer that orignally made the product as long as they continue good quality control that is.

5. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

I played a Heritage 335 made in Michigan.

Sweetest 335 ("") I've ever played.

That with a little dirt under a Twin Reverb is what tone is to me.

Best part, only 1400 for a custom shop quality 335!!!

-JA

6. Roe

Roe Member

try a tokai ES-155. if you go with gibson or tokai, change the pups

7. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

When I was in the market, I couldn't find something that satisfied all of my wants, so I ended up going with a First Act Delia, which was fine-tuned by Kelly Butler. Kelly is the guy that builds 'em, and is a former Gibson CS luthier.

If you're looking for an instrument that you can resell in a pinch, go with a 335 or 336. If you want something built as well if not better than, with playability and tone that rivals anything under $5k, you really should check out the Delia. The stock configuration is more affordable than similar Gibson offerings, and it's hand-made.

8. HHB

HHB Member

I'm super happy w/ my 81 Ibanez as50, cents on the dollar compared to a 335

9. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

I don't have a Custom Shop 335, but do own a standard production model. They are great guitars, when, like anything else, you find the right one for you.

I wouldn't discount any 335 or 335-variant. Play 'em all and see which one feels, sounds (is!) best.

10. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Lots of good thinlines out there. I've had Heritage and some of the others. Heritage 535's with Duncan pups or HRW's are terrific guitars. That being said...I just got a ES-335 Dot RI. Unreal tone! It has a particular vibe that other thinlines I've had were missing.
    I will say this.....I find the fit and finish on many of the production Gibsons to be suspect. The frets were horrible and needed a full dress and crown to be really playable. It's great now.

11. brad347

brad347 Member

12. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

check out a CS336 if you dont mind the smaller size...i love mine and it sounds alot bigger than it looks...

13. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

I'm eager to see/play Ian A's take on the 336.

14. CNOTE

CNOTE Member

I would like to thank everyone who replied. Your remarks are just what I'm looking for indeed.

I will apprise you all of my next acquisition real soon.

C

15. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I originally started out with an Epi hollow body, Alleykat. It was ok...but eventually sold it.
    Then I bought and ES 137 at a bargain price to sell and make money on. It has since changed my mind, and I kept it. It's so great, that if it was stolen I'd get another one immediatly. I really, really love it. Be sure and play them all...

16. EunosFD

EunosFD Member

Don't forget the Hamer Newport. It's in the same ballpark construction and tone-wise to a 336, several different models to suit your needs, and of course you can't count out Hamer's incredible quality. Plus on the used market they're a downright bargain. I'm majorly GAS'ing for a Newport 90 in Jazzburst right now.

17. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

find a starfire IV to try before you buy a gibson

18. saxophonist56

saxophonist56 Supporting Member

i got a natural flame maple top used and it just feels right! i think the neck may be a little bigger than a gibson 335 dot reissue. anyway heritage is gibson. the guitar impresses the hell out of me.

[​IMG]

19. cpsdawg

cpsdawg Member

as a lefty player, good guitars are hard to come by. i have a 335 that i love. i also have a gretsch 6120 that sees a good amt of playing time. so i agree with some others and try a bunch of 335's if you know that is what you want. otherwise try some of the semi/hollow or hollow guilds, gretschs, heritages, etc. you might be surprised. the big hollow bodies like the 6120 take a while to get used to because they are thick bodies, but the tones are unreal. es 135's, 175's, byrdlands, L-5's are super guitars.

20. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

My second guitar was a sunburst '66 335. I played it for 8 years before I sold it (1 of 2 guitars I deeply regret selling in 42 years of playing). I had a custom shop 336 which was also a sweet guitar and that's probably what I would go with today.