Should I buy this Gibson LP Trad Pro in PELHAM BLUE today?

pir8matt

Should I buy this guitar today?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-...47-i2558152.gc?&source=4WWRWXGP&cagpspn=pla&=

I saw one show up in a saved eBay search I have, and it seemed priced kind of high, so I looked to see what the normal sale price was. I was pretty surprised it was as low as it was.

So I went and played a trad pro at my local GC. I wasn't totally blown away by it, but it seems like a nice LP. I played it through kind of a crummy Vox valvetronix amp, so I don't know that I got the best impression it might have had to give. I'm not sure why but the coil splitting didn't seem too impressive. I have coil split setups on my G0 LP and on an SG with BB pros in it, and I really love the tones I get out of it. These didn't seem to do much.

So then the salesguy says they've extended some sale from the weekend, which is a $200 off coupon for anything priced over a grand. That would make this guitar $1499 before tax.

$1499! For a brand-new USA made Gibson with a real rosewood board! Would I be stupid not to go get it? I'm not totally sold on the satin finish but who cares what the back looks like, right?

Pelham blue!

BadAssBill

Gold Supporting Member
1500 gets you awful close to a used R7. If new is a big deal to you, then that's a different story....but that blue is mighty pretty.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
That's a great deal. Rare color, 50s neck, Plek, decent pickups. What's not to like?

Faded

Silver Supporting Member
If you need another guitar and can afford it then sure why not.

Oh and it's a real laminated rosewood board, just fyi.

Dashface

If there was one of those in my local store with that colour combo for that price I wouldn't even think about it. You should buy that. Seriously.

pir8matt

If there was one of those in my local store with that colour combo for that price I wouldn't even think about it. You should buy that. Seriously.
It's not in my local store. I played a black one. But there's one in Winter Park and they can transfer it at no extra cost.

pir8matt

If you need another guitar and can afford it then sure why not.

Oh and it's a real laminated rosewood board, just fyi.
Haha, well, need is certainly all relative, especially around here. But this one could handily replace another one that I could sell. One in, one out.

Where does laminated RW sit on the totem pole of TGP undesirability? Below or above baked maple? Or richlite?

cherrick

So, you've got a G0 with coil taps and humbuckers.

I would say don't buy the blue one. Obviously, it does not speak to you compellingly, and so you'll be all about the mods for quite some time until you get it where you want it. And at that point you may be over-invested in it and never get your money back.

I would suggest that you hold out for an R6, R4 or R5 ... something with P90s. Something very different from your G0. And for something that will fire you up inside.

If you have to have that PBlue, send the R6 to Lays Guitar Shop in Ohio and ask them to refin the top in gloss Pelham Blue.

Trending Topics