Should I cut a hole in my gorgeous new Godin to do harmonica style singing control?

So I've discovered that I can sing into the f-hole of my Godin Kingpin 5th Ave. to sustain chords, alter harmonic EQ balances, and bend notes just as one does with a harmonica.

It's practically impossible to fret strings while doing this, and would look stupid on stage. I could cut a mouth size hole on the top corner which would be fairly ergonomic and not so lame looking during performance.

I'm not all that sure it's worth doing though for another stupid pet tricks gimmick. Sure I'd probably excel at it, have a new sort of refinement never seen before, but I'd likely get more mileage out of simply singing along instead. And it would be cutting a hole in a gorgeous guitar. Thoughts?

I used to play with a PEQ pedal and a sustainer, and this (the harmonica style singing) gives me far greater easier control than that for U2 sort of stuff, so there is that.

Last edited:

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
So I've discovered that I can sing into the f-hole of my Godin Kingpin 5th Ave. to sustain chords, alter harmonic EQ balances, and bend notes just as one does with a harmonica.

It's practically impossible to fret strings while doing this, and would look stupid on stage. I could cut a mouth size hole on the top corner which would be fairly ergonomic and not so lame looking during performance.

I'm not all that sure it's worth doing though for another stupid pet tricks gimmick. Sure I'd probably excel at it, have a new sort of refinement never seen before, but I'd likely get more mileage out of simply singing along instead. And it would be cutting a hole in a gorgeous guitar. Thoughts?

I used to play with a PEQ pedal and a sustainer, and this gives me far greater easier control than that for U2 sort of stuff, so there is that.

Use a plastic tube like a talkbox.

Tony Done

I'm not suggesting you do this, but a sound port in the side of the upper bout might work. I like sound ports because of the brighter tone that the player hears.

fretwalker

"I'm not all that sure it's worth doing though for another stupid pet tricks gimmick....And it would be cutting a hole in a gorgeous guitar."

I would strongly resist the urge to cut a hole in a gorgeous guitar. When I've done things like this I end up regretting it later. Non-reversible experiments are best done on beaters.

Am I understanding this right, you sing into the F hole and it bends the note?
That is correct. As with a harmonica you first have to get into waveform sustain sync with the reed/string and then you can gradually shift it over to some extent.

It takes a moment. It's not an instant response thing like bending where one can go through a rapid microtonal melody. It's like a sustainer which would probably be capable of the same slow bending, probably more so on acoustic than electric though. I never thought to try at the time, it was tough enough suppressing the harmonics which often arose instead.

Last edited:
"I'm not all that sure it's worth doing though for another stupid pet tricks gimmick....And it would be cutting a hole in a gorgeous guitar."

I would strongly resist the urge to cut a hole in a gorgeous guitar. When I've done things like this I end up regretting it later. Non-reversible experiments are best done on beaters.

I do have a beater that has been through some other experiments, one currently needing undone. Unfortunately it was a poor candidate for a fretless conversion (though that did make later conversions possible). I probably should try that first.

bon ton

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not suggesting you do this, but a sound port in the side of the upper bout might work. I like sound ports because of the brighter tone that the player hears.
If a decent luthier did it and matched the binding it wouldn't reduce the value of the instrument. Wouldn't be that expensive either.

Tony Done

If a decent luthier did it and matched the binding it wouldn't reduce the value of the instrument. Wouldn't be that expensive either.

I've done it to three iinexpensive guitars, and preferred the tone in all of them. It gives the brighter sound that the audience hears, and the player loses because the high frequencies don't go around corners as well as low ones.

Could you accomplish this with a smaller hole, and using a plastic hose to transmit noise into the body? (I'm thinking similar to a talk box.)

John Dell

Silver Supporting Member
Go for it. Not any crazier than me going through 10 amps and 50 pedals so far chasing sounds

If it is cut and dressed well, people will just think it is just part of the guitar's design anyways.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom