Should I ditch the Twin reverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by JMayerFan, Apr 24, 2008.

1. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

I know theres lots of these threads and I've asked this before but with little responses.

I have a 65 RI twin reverb and I love its cleans to death but I am just having serious issues with finding pedals that it works well with.

I want in order of most importance:

Decently loud cleans
    something relatively pedal friendly
    maybe more marshelly sounds

I'd like to keep it under 2k if I could, a little more wouldnt kill me though.

I know Andy Timmons used to use lonestars and get EVH tones and had good cleans

What do you guys suggest?

Lastly, I've heard several people on here say Twins are pedal friendly??? Are these people just not owners or could a tube bee capped too brightly in mine?

Brandon

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

Ditch it.

I was right in your place about 6 months ago (except the amp was a '65 Super Reverb). No matter what I did, i knew it was a compromise and I could never dial out that last 10% of "harshness" around the edges of the Fender preamp scheme. It works great for cleans, but there's just no way around it for me trying to get my dirt together. Trying to work with the open back 4x10 config made me wanna die.

I went with a Vox AC30 and never looked back. Cleans aren't that much of a compromise from the fender (and Super Reverb I think is the greatest clean tone of all time). Very pedal friendly with everything but tubescreamer mid-hump pedals, and killer crunch sounds. Loves boosts out front.

In your situation though, it sounds like you want something a little gainier.

To be honest, I think your best option might be something like this:

Ceriatone 50w plexi w/ PPIMV (or better yet, an attenuator)
    Blackface Fender Bassman/Bandmaster/Dual Showman/Tremolux
    Avatar Vintage (bluesbreaker style) 2x12 w/ g12h30s
    and a good A/B switch

A plexi will be in the $1000 range, Fender probably around $500, and cab at about $350.

You'll have good fender tones (shouldn't sound too different from the old school fender cabs with g12h30s.... just as long as you don't go V30 or Greenback), impeccable marshall sounds, and the rig will probably be similar in size/weight to your twin setup.

To make things easier though if you don't like a/bing, try a Ceriatone JTM45/100 head.... great cleans and marshall overdrive. You'll need a little boost to get in VH territory though, but it'll be worth it.

3. JMayerFan

JMayerFan Member

Hmm...I've really thought about ABing because honestly it seems like the only way since theres no way to have great fender cleans and great marshall leads from one amp. I don't care so much as reaching EVH tone.

I gig out a decent amount and play mostly blues, but do play some rock on occasion and theres a band i'm now in that does some more rock covers and the Twin reverb, bless its incredibly loud heart, just can't sound like a fat crunchy half stack no matter what the pedal is, I dont think

Brandon

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I play a mostly clean amp in the BF Fender vein (Tone King Meteor, 4x6V6 40 watts) and use a Fulldrive for OD sounds. When I engage the OD pedal, I find that I usually also roll back the tone control on my guitar just a bit. This makes the OD sound warmer. I also like to use the amp on the edge of breakup (which is very difficult on a Twin), as this gives a combination of amp and pedal OD sounds which sounds thicker and fuller to me than just pedal OD alone. Finally, I also use a s/s/h Start-type guitar. The amp stays clean on the neck and middle single coils, whereas the amp will break up a smidge on the bridge humbucker......and most often I use the humbucker for the more saturated sounds with the OD pedal engaged.

5. dtube

dtube Member

Way North of Pittsburgh...no, I don't own a banjo.
    Not trying to change your mind here, but was the RI amp stock? If so, those come stock with an extremely conservative (cold) bias setting, inexpensive tubes, and less-than-optimum speakers - the result is an amp that is, IMO, sterile, edgey, and even brittle. If you re-tube them, correctly set the bias, and replace the speaker with something tonally friendly, the result is usually a much warmer tone that will complement pedals rather nicely (again, IMO). That said - if you're shooting for Boogie or 5150 tone, it won't happen with pedals into that amp.
    -Darren

6. nnajar

nnajar Member

email lyle caldwell at psionic audio-

he built for me the perfect amp and it's exactly what you're asking for. it's called the aztlan and I think he's mentioned it a little on this board. it does a perfect fender blackface clean and a great marshall lead. it has a lot of cool little features too that make so much sense and it's quiet as can be even cranked.

www.psionicaudio.com

Nate

7. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Consider a MAZ38 from Dr.Z

Vox meets fender with Marshall leanings with the gain above 7.

Can be had for a good price too.

8. gratay

gratay Member

this is what I was wondering also...if the amp is stock
    I think a good fender amp takes pedals really well..straight out of the box I thought the RI I tried was like the above description.

9. slegros

slegros Member

Yeah man retube, rebias, for sure, and maybe swap speakers. In another post a guy mentioned running Jensen Neos to drop a ton of weight. Same poster also mentioned running a 5751 instead of one of the 12ax7s to drop a bit of gain. Fresh, high quality tubes(I like the Tung Sols for 12ax7s) and adjusting the bias will make a HUGE difference to any amp. Jeff Beck ran most of the 80s with his Strat into a Proco Rat into a twin and got great tone out of that setup.

10. stratlad

stratlad Member

Maybe retube.

Try a Mesa Express 5:50. Nice clean channel reminiscent of a warm twin with a tad more mids.

11. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

That Twin reissue will never cut it for really honest Fender tube tone..it'll get close, but you'll notice at higher volume settings, it won't sound as sweet as a real Twin or Fender PTP wired amp. It's not a real Twin Reverb...it's got a circuit board a mile long....they can call it Superburger reissue and that would be just as accurate. I've owned 4 REAL Twin Reverbs both blackface and Silverface. Even the red-knob evil Twin sounds much better than those reissue dudes.
    Try out the Fender Vibroverb Custom '64 with the 15" speaker. I have one, and it has genuine Fender tube tone. It takes all pedals extremely well. It's also Fender's most expensive amplifier...but I know where you can get a good deal on one. If you want the Fender vibe...you really have to get a Fender...no matter anyone says. Carr amps are really good too for that shimmering clean.
    Vox, schmox...Vox's are great, if you could find a real vintage AC30 or AC15 and pony up the bucks...they sound fantastic. One of the sweetest little tube amps I've ever played was a vintage Vox. But the new ones don't sound right to my ears. Yeah, flame away flamers....after you're done flaming, go find and play a Kingsley Deluxe 30 and feel the love of gorgeous clean tones and handwired circuitry done by one man. And Simon at Kingsley makes a channel switcher Deluxe 32...you would LOVE a Kingsley.
    If you need channel switching...the best I've played lately that's not ultra-boutique (Carol Ann/Two Rock/Bludotone/Pure64...all amazing amps)...is a Bogner Shiva EL34. Smoking nice cleans and beautiful sweet overdrive. I was impressed.
    Marshalls and their inspired clones like Blankenship and Germino, are awesome too. I've had many Marshalls and a Germino, and I'm keen to find another...nothing sounds quite like a sweet Marshall on the boil.

12. GDking

GDking Member

Bruno Cowtipper 45 or a Fender Pro reverb..

13. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

I have a '69 Pro Reverb. I also am the original owmer of a '68 Twin Reverb but it has a pair of EVM 12L;s in it andit hasn't been turned on in over 10 years and would want to get it serviced before I ever do. I love the Pro. I recently had it in a studio next to a Twin re-issue and at the end of the night I plugged in quick just to check it out. The guy playing through it all night had a decent sound so I didn't fiddle with any knobs. I though it sounded really thin for me with my 335 and FD2 mosfet compared to my Pro.

14. MGuts

MGuts Supporting Member

Chicago Bluesbox? I A/Bed it with a Deluxe Reverb RI and it sounded similar but much, much fuller without the harshness that I heard from the Fender. I put an OCD pedal in front of it, and it sounds really close to a Superlead like tone. When I hear it I think something like La Grange or anything off of ZZ Top's early albums.

15. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have a Fender Twin Reverb Reissue and I did two things that made it a keeper.

1) I changed the V2 preamp tube to a 12AY7 - this warmers the amp up, makes the volume more useful. ( I play with the volume on 4-7 in most places now with out blowing the windows out)

2) I changed the speakers for Eminence Tonkerlites and took 20 lbs off the amp, now I have a 212 tube amp that weighs less than 50 lbs and has a wider freq. response ( less spikey treble and more bottom end).

Now I love this amp and use it extensively. also it takes pedal very well.

16. tone4days

tone4days Member

if tubes/rebias/spekaers don't help, then try a rivera quiana ... fender on one side / marshall on the other ... great tones - super reliable

17. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Hiwatt DR504 or 103........

Seriously.

My DR504 and a Verbzilla does the clean twin thing better than my '76 SF Twin, and also does the classic rock crunch with the right pedals....

I play in a classic rock cover band, and obviously need to cover several different type of sounds. The DR504, Swanson 2-12 and a few pedals does it for me. I set the amp for band level clean, and use the pedals as necessary.

18. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

My Barber pedals (Small Fry and Direct Drive) sound great through a TRRI at our rehearsal studio. Not sure if the amp still has the stock speakers, but the smooth, non-brittle, non-grainy nature of Barber's pedals match very nicely with that amp.

19. picnic

picnic Supporting Member

Mesa Lonestar Classic It does the Fender cleans and you can dial in breakup from a little to a lot. Reverb is right there with a Twin.

So is the weight if you like lifting heavy things.

20. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

This might be throwing you a curve, but have you ever played a Dr Z Route 66? It has a beautiful, loud clean that is all its' own. It jumps into bed with pedals like a two dollar whore, will whisper "don't hurt me daddy" or scream "More More More" at the top of her lungs when you need to hear that. It is in your price range, 2 x 12 or 4 x12 with whatever speakers you like best.
    Where do you live by the way?