Should I dump my mixer and go totally digital??

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Karl Paecht, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Karl Paecht

Karl Paecht Member

Hi all. Merry Christmas. Hope yours was good. My 5 yr old daughter had a blast. Daddy now hates ty raps:eek:

I'm thinking of going "all digital" with my setup. Which currently is, a Yamaha MG 16/6 FX into my Delta 1010LT. Dell XPS, Windows XP, 4G Ram. Two 320GHDD's plus a USB 2.0 250G hdd.

I'm now using Reaper to record from using Cakewalk HS forever. See my post on the bass issue. I have the mixer group and recording outs into the Delta analog ins so I can record two rack or multi. I run my BOSS DR880 drum machine SPDIF out into the card SPDIF in direct via coax. This setup has worked well for the last three years no problems.

However, given that the card has a "mixer" control panel and of course all the capabilities of Reaper, I'm thinking of dumping the mixer, running my stuff direct into the card and using the PC to control it all completely in the digital domain.

Along with this, I'm thinking of getting a good DAC with a headphone out to hookup to my monitors. I'll use the SPDIF out from the card. I've been using the balanced outs from the mixer to the monitors. Running the analog outs from the card into the mixer's 2trk input.

It's a bit of a paradigm shift for me but I'm thinking that this new setup will provide the "purest" signal path. The Delta card has been rock solid. Given how stable Reaper has been compared to Cakewalk I think I can do it.

I don't need tons of inputs. It's only myself, Josh O, the drum machine and our bass player when he shows up. I can cover all without the mixer as the card has enough inputs.

Looking for opinions, pros, cons etc. The most major change is that I'll have to use the PC to listen to anything at all. Using the mixer I can get things going without the PC.

Technically, it will work. But I just don't know:dunno Any help, advice etc will be greatly appreciated.

Guess this is what happens when you have two weeks off around Xmas:phones

2. Josh O

Josh O Member

Hey if anything, at least your post has plenty of paragraphs!!! :D :D :D

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Two suggestions:
    1. Stay with the stable situation that's working. An outboard DAC isn't going to improve your situation much, you might hear your mixing better but you won't be recording any better. Save your pennies.

2. Sell the 1010 and the Yamaha, take the pennies you've saved and buy a better ADC/DAC pair. For less than $800 you can find an Apogee Mini-Me used, perhaps Mytek or something equivalent that's an older but high quality 2 channel interface and run in Firewire or USB, or SPDIF. Something with better preamps and a better clock should improve your sound...