Should I find a new guitar tech?

Fowleri

I email my tech about me buying a brass block because it supposedly gives a little more sustain and I wanted to have the knife edges checked on my Ibanez original edge trem since he lowered the action on it.

I don't have any serious tuning issues, except the usual double bends or too much whammy bar use, but since the guitar is used, I'd like to know.

The problem is this area sucks. I can't find any good tech except Guitar stores wannabes. I found one tech but he is over 1 hour away.

This is his response

You do not wear out a metal part. Stop reading idiots on the internet. They last 20 years. Brass blocks make the guitar dead not sustain. It’s like adding a rock or cement in your bridge. Hate the internet so many wrong opinions.

That may his opinion, and he likely has more experience than either you or I. On the brass block specifically, I have personal experience with a Floyd equipped guitar that was thin sounding, and I had swapped pickups several times trying to get an acceptable sound. Once I put the brass block in, it sounded freaking huge, right away it was a very noticeable difference. I actually had to swap pickups again to put a thinner sounding pickup because it was a bit too much with the one I had in there, but I haven't touched it in ten years now.

I agree with him on the baseplate. If it is a quality Floyd, or should last. The Schaller on my Hamer lasted about twenty five years before I noticed any tuning issues from worn knife edges, and I beat the hell out of that bar and have adjusted the action under tension many times.

Fowleri

That may his opinion, and he likely has more experience than either you or I. On the brass block specifically, I have personal experience with a Floyd equipped guitar that was thin sounding, and I had swapped pickups several times trying to get an acceptable sound. Once I put the brass block in, it sounded freaking huge, right away it was a very noticeable difference. I actually had to swap pickups again to put a thinner sounding pickup because it was a bit too much with the one I had in there, but I haven't touched it in ten years now.

I agree with him on the baseplate. If it is a quality Floyd, or should last. The Schaller on my Hamer lasted about twenty five years before I noticed any tuning issues from worn knife edges, and I beat the hell out of that bar and have adjusted the action under tension many times.
right but I was talking about adjusting the action while the tension of the strings and springs is not released, supposedly this is what people say could damage the knife edges permanently

others say it doesn't matter and when you use the bar is getting the same use and friction, so i dont know

maybe it depends on how good the trem is or not

deepcove17

I email my tech about me buying a brass block because it supposedly gives a little more sustain and I wanted to have the knife edges checked on my Ibanez original edge trem since he lowered the action on it.

I don't have any serious tuning issues, except the usual double bends or too much whammy bar use, but since the guitar is used, I'd like to know.

The problem is this area sucks. I can't find any good tech except Guitar stores wannabes. I found one tech but he is over 1 hour away.

This is his response
You should tell him you would like to form your own opinion.....and find a new tech.

silentbob

I'm not against having someone caution me against making a bad decision. However, there are very few "right or wrong" answers when dealing with the way something sounds. We all have different preferences and sometimes what I want doesn't fit the preferences of others.

right but I was talking about adjusting the action while the tension of the strings and springs is not released, supposedly this is what people say could damage the knife edges permanently
That's what I was saying in my last paragraph; I've done that for years, never hearing that you weren't supposed to, and never having an issue until many, many years later after probably thousands of hours of playing on this guitar.

My Carvin isn't as old, but it has an OFR, and I've adjusted the action that way as well with zero ill effects. Tuning is stable.

YMMV, and all that.

CjRuckus

It's hard to find a good tech, if his opinions are trash but their work outweighs the small talk then stick with them. I am opinionated, so is my tech. We always disagree on Mesa amps because he doesn't like to service them, however if he needs to fix mine, he will because he is doing it for a fee. Not for free. Matter of fact, nothing is free in his shop.

We are friends yes, but professional opinions are welcome, his word isn't the gospel.

He just wants to make sure you don't have buyers remorse and ask him to reverse a job which he didn't want to do in the first place.

Trending Topics