Should I get a ARC Klone if I already have Mythical OD?

dwk302

I already have a Timmy and a Mythical Overdrive. The Timmy isn't going anywhere, but I was thinking of flipping the MO for an Arc. Is the Arc different enough from the MO?

Last edited:

Twinattack

Probably not. Haven't played a MO but that and the ARC seem to be regarded as two of the best klones out there.

Edit: The ARC is awesome though and sounds great with the Timmy.

dwk302

hope your wrong dwk, the timmy didnt last long with me and my mo ships monday.

I wasn't impressed with the Timmy at first because I put it in front of a clean amp. Is that what you're doing? If so, then I don't think you're getting the most out of that pedal. It wasn't until I tried it in front of an already naturally overdriven Marshall and instantly realized what all the hype has been about. It sounds incredible. Try that. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

underdog726

agreed dwk302, i had an amp that stayed clean until it was way to loud when i tried a timmy, now i also have an excelsior that i can get up to the breakup point, i might have to revisit the timmy sometime. I had a soul food, i liked the chime it gave my tone, but didnt really care for its gain all that much. I like my analogman maxon od-9 for gain a lot better than the soul food, or what i can recall with the timmy. Gonna add the mythical OD to add that chime back and from what i have heard its gain is nice too.

zztomato

I already have a Timmy and a Mythical Overdrive. The Timmy isn't going anywhere, but I was thinking of flipping the MO for an Arc. Is the Arc different enough from the MO?

What, are you nuts?
It's the same freaking pedal.
Enough with the KLone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mob:mob:mob:mob:horse:horse:mob:mob

gregovertone

SF sounds fine on it's own....

...but when played next to a klon / arc klone......it's not even close.

the arc klone rules.

straticus

To my ears, the MO and the Timmy don't sound all that different.

I've never played the MO but I have tried the Timmy twice and I own an ARC Klone V2. Never liked the Timmy but I really dig the Arc V2. Two totally different animals.

mysterious1s

No. I have owned 2 Arcs, KTR, and Soul Food, and currently own the MO and AF1. The MO actually sounds better and is a bit more versatile than the Arc. I would just keep the MO and forget about it, you already own one of the best sounding klones available.

Is the Arc different enough from the MO?

I have not tried a MO, but I do own an Arc v2 and have tried many other Klones. My experience is they are all more different than I assumed they would be given the fact that they are all supposedly clones of the Klon circuit. The reason why I have kept the Arc over others is because I like the clean boost setting on it, and I like the amount of volume it has. That said, it is not my favorite overdrive of the ones I've tried.

It wasn't until I tried it in front of an already naturally overdriven Marshall and instantly realized what all the hype has been about. It sounds incredible. Try that. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I have not tried a Timmy, but I have this to add...MANY overdrive pedals sound damn good as a slight kick in the pants to an already tube over driven amp. It's not terribly difficult to create a circuit to push the tubes just a little harder. I'm not saying the Timmy is not a good pedal, but I'm skeptical of any pedal that is only good at that function. There are 100's of pedals that do that great.

As a younger player, playing in loud bands a TS was fundamental for maybe 15 years on my board. Then as I grew up and was not always playing cranked amps I needed to find pedals that could give me a nice overdrive without the amp being on 11 to get there and that's when the TS was exposed as being not that pleasing at more moderate volumes or as a base overdrive over a cleaner amp.

Now my tune has changed and I actually think a very well designed overdrive pedal should have the ability to perform both functions. My personal favorite at performing both functions is the POT or the KOT, as an example. But just like any OD pedal, there's a mountain of them awaiting your pocketbook.

Last edited:

dwk302

I have not tried a MO, but I do own an Arc v2 and have tried many other Klones. My experience is they are all more different than I assumed they would be given the fact that they are all supposedly clones of the Klon circuit. The reason why I have kept the Arc over others is because I like the clean boost setting on it, and I like the amount of volume it has. That said, it is not my favorite overdrive of the ones I've tried.

I have not tried a Timmy, but I have this to add...MANY overdrive pedals sound damn good as a slight kick in the pants to an already tube over driven amp. It's not terribly difficult to create a circuit to push the tubes just a little harder. I'm not saying the Timmy is not a good pedal, but I'm skeptical of any pedal that is only good at that function. There are 100's of pedals that do that great.

As a younger player, playing in loud bands a TS was fundamental for maybe 15 years on my board. Then as I grew up and was not always playing cranked amps I needed to find pedals that could give me a nice overdrive without the amp being on 11 to get there and that's when the TS was exposed as being not that pleasing at more moderate volumes or as a base overdrive over a cleaner amp.

Now my tune has changed and I actually think a very well designed overdrive pedal should have the ability to perform both functions. My personal favorite at performing both functions is the POT or the KOT, as an example. But just like any OD pedal, there's a mountain of them awaiting your pocketbook.

Thank you for your insightful response. This could be the reason I'm not hearing much difference between the Timmy and the MO. I usually run my Marshall naturally overdriven and play with the volume knob to clean it up. I can tweak the master volume and the channel volume to run it a bit cleaner and see what happens. Great post.

Thank you for your insightful response. This could be the reason I'm not hearing much difference between the Timmy and the MO. I usually run my Marshall naturally overdriven and play with the volume knob to clean it up. I can tweak the master volume and the channel volume to run it a bit cleaner and see what happens. Great post.

I'm curious to hear what you discover trying them each over a cleaner base tone. It should allow you a more blank canvas to hear each pedals strengths and weaknesses and assess them more clearly. You may find they are both outstanding. Or not.

That said, if pushing an already over driven amp over the top is your priority, it may not matter which is most versatile. In that case it would come down to which one is coincidentally voiced in a way that best flatters your amp.

I play a Princeton. In my case, pedals that push the highs too much can make it fizzy. So a warmer pedal like a POT or a KOT seem to match up better. But with a Marshall, you may find the opposite to be true. When I played Marshall amps, nothing beat a tube screamer. If I was still playing a Marshall that I could turn up just to the edge of break these days I'd get the hand-wired TS and never look back.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom