Should I get a Bogner?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by squeally dan, Jul 20, 2006.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I play in a band that plays mostly dance music for weddings (Commodores, Kool in the Gang, Cameo, Prince, etc.). We also do some blues. I spend 75% of my time with a good clean sound and use a pedal when I need some dirt. I love my Dr Z Maz 38. It has a great clean sopund which is really what I need. Lately, I have been lusting over a Bogner. Sounds like it might be more versatile. I could only afford a Shiva and I'd have to sell the Z to get it. Should I? I need lots of clean head room would the SHiva do that?

www.juice-net.com

2. bryan k

bryan k Member

look into a Carvin Legacy amp. Its almsot like a bogner/hot-rodded marshall. the clean channel is to-die-for. and the dirty channel is VERY bogner-ish...............

and a 100 watt half stack is going for about $1200-$1300 brand new!

3. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

Should you get a Bogner? Most definitely.

If you buy anything else, you'll always be hearing "Maybe I should have bought that Shiva" in the back of your mind. Eventually you will buy a Shiva, selling that interim amp at a loss in order to do so, and therefore spending more money to aquire a Shiva than you would have if you just bought one in the first place.

I personally favor the EL-34 head. At 80 watts, it has a lot more clean headroom than a Maz 38, which is a great amp in its own right. Depending on how much dirt you're after, you may find the second channel on the Bogner meets your needs quite nicely.

4. bettiefan

bettiefan Member

IMO, if you're only going to use it for clean, you're wasting the best part of the amp--that creamy Bogner distortion.

5. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I would also use the 2nd channel. It won't be wasted.

How much can you get a used Shiva for?

6. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

Like many TGP members, I have owned/own more high end and vintage amps than I can count. My Bogner Shiva 6L6 has the best clean tone I have heard. IMO there is nothing better for clean tone and headroom than amps using "big bottle" output tubes (6L6, EL34,KT's). EL84's have their place, but not if you want clean and a lot of headroom. The Bogner build quality and support is superb.

7. dave s

dave s Member

Dear Mr. Squealy Dan:

I had one of those amps playing the same stuff your band plays. Did it work? Yep. Was it the best amp for that kind of music? Probably not.

What I liked about it was the clean channel. My original Shiva had a clean channel that was a great cross between a Twin and a VOX. Very authoritative, but had that refined top end. After about a year, the amp just had too much of a modern or high-fi sound to it for the organic roots type music we played.

My favorite thing to do on the amp was when playing the Joe Cocker song, Unchain My Heart. The live version has a dive-bomb in the third verse. It was fun to play at a normal volume through the clean channel and set the gain channel volume level to about 5 and change channels just for the dive-bomb ... wanna see people duck and run for cover?!!! :rotflmao

It'll work for your gig, but you might find the same thing I did ... to modern sounding for some of the material.

dave

8. cameron

cameron Member

If you want more headroom for your clean sound, the Shiva is a really good option. But I fear you'll end up missing the Maz 38. The Shiva's clean channel is really clean, and you'll have a hard time getting that just-on-the-edge of breakup sound that the Maz does so well.

9. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

I traded my '93 Vibro King for a Bogner SHIVA 6L6 2x10 combo with reverb, It's a great amp, good cleans, nice reverb and the OD channel is awesome. It's master volume and channel switching, whats not to love? It does allot very well. It's loud, but it doesn't have to be, the Maz is a nice amp too, lots of head room, good projection, single channel, but the reverb, if it has it, is nowhere near as nice as the SHIVA's and separate levels for each channel. They are both great amps,:YinYang but still very different from one another. Tough call for you, but it's gear, keep the maz and find away to pay for the Bogner.:AOK

10. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

I should have a Bogner.

11. DavidE

DavidE Member

I just bought a used Bogner Shiva 1x12 from another TGP member. Wow. What an amp! I'm going to play my first gig with it tonight and leave my Naylor SD60 and 4x12 at home.

Now, I played in a wedding band for 3 years and I'll tell you why I wouldn't use this amp in a wedding band.

1) It's too heavy. This amp weighs 70 pounds. We often had to load in through loading docks, through kitchens etc... sometimes in freight elevators etc... I bought a Rock n' Roller cart which was a savior, but I ultimately got my wedding rig down to fit on one cart that I could wheel whereever I needed.

2) It's probably overkill. It sounds freaking great, but it can get loud. The master seems to work well, but I couldn't play very loud at weddings and corporate events. At times we were playing quietly while people were eating and my amp was less than 10 feet from a guest.

3) Anything bigger than a 1x12 combo is probably too big, so even a head and 2x12 cab is probably more than what you want to haul.

Just my thoughts.

12. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I would use a Shiva head with a 1x12 cabinet.

I Love the Maz. Funny thing is I don't really like it to break up too much. I try to keep the voulume down in order to keep it real clean. It works fine. I used to have a big Twin and I guess I'm still used to that type of clean.

13. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

My experience, for all around playing, the shiva is hard to beat! I think the shiva is the best balanced amp from bogner. ( cleans AND overdrive in one amp). nothing else comes to mind that matches the shiva in tone. except two amps, a fender and a older marshall A/B'd.

14. wsaraceni

wsaraceni Member

if you ask me. a good price on a used shiva head 1500. average price 1600. anywhere between those two and i'd be happy. (that is the w/reverb price)

15. devbro

devbro Member

Hey squeally,
    I do much the same thing as you. Mostly clean - corporate, wedding type stuff. I used a Shiva for about a year and loved the clean channel. Never really dug the drive channel though - a little dark for my taste and used pedals for dirt.

I discovered the CAA OD-100 and now my Shiva is collecting dust in the garage. The OD-100 cleans blow the SHiva away (IMHO) and are better for what I do. The amp has headroom for days and lacks the compression that the Shiva has. It's far more responsive and the drive channel has more balls.

16. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Guys thanks for all the info. & varying opinions. This forum rocks!

Whats a CAA OD-100? Thats a new one on me.

17. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

18. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

Squeally-

If you can find a rare EL84 Shiva, that's the ticket, it's a 25 watter. I have one, it's awesome, although they are very hard to find as I think Sean at Bogner told me they only made 30-50 of them.
    Clean channel with my Heritage 157 neck pickup does great funk to blues.

19. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

I heard a guy playing a Shiva the other night, prob. the first time I've had the pleasure of hearing one, other than (ick) sound clips on the web.
    That was as fine an authoratative guitar amp I've heard in many years. Great 6L6 cleans, as other have said. Totally impressed. And I've been playin' in clubs for 30 years.

BUT, you know what? That was a large (750-1000) modern club. The ceilings were high. The house system was superb. The soundman was superb.
    Conclusion: great night's entertainment for me. Great amp. Great player.
    Essentially useless for me, unfortunately. I rarely, almost never, have the advantages the variables afforded the showcase of that amp. I couldn't imagine using it,not only at weddings as other have said, but even at most other bars.
    Same problem with Marshalls, essentially. Not so much that times have changes, as venues and audiences have.

20. fenderbender4

fenderbender4 Gold Supporting Member

You can find Used CAE OD-100's though at a decent price.