Should I get a clean boost or a compressor?

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
I'm having a hard time finding that extra "something" from my new rig. I'm a strat guy and play through a Bandmaster Reverb with Scumback speaker and am pretty happy with the basic tone. I run the amp at 5-7 so the tone is lively but not too compressed but I find it hard to play very clean or slightly broken up passages. I've been using an RC booster but don't find it helps...I don't really want extra volume just more sustain and a tiny bit more grit for arrpegios and clean w/delay rhythms.

The two pedals high on my list right now are the Katana and Keeley Compressor...but which would be best? I don't want to lose any bass or sparkle from my tone but need a hint more grit, sustain and a tiny bit more mojo in the mids would be ok too. Can you all help? I should mention the RC Booster is not doing it for me...it's too unnatural feeling.

hamfist

To me, it sounds like you might get on with a compressor. You will lose just a hint of sparkle with any pedal compressor but I guess you won't really know what you are looking for until you try out a few things though.

pauldogx

check out the Barber LTD SR--does exactly what you just described and its very transparent and not stupid expensive. Just got one for the same thing you are lookin for and it works great--more sustain and you can add a little grit if ya want it.

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
TP is GREAT, but if you want to add a little character and mids, a mild OD is probably the thing. New LTD v2 or Silver Kiss would both be great.

The Whiz

I've got a Tone Press and it's a nice sounding, versatile compressor. But just as others have suggested it (as well as the Keeley Compressor I used to have) roll off the high end sparkle and do not add grit. It sounds like you need a different mild od than the RC. There's a lot to choose from, obviously. ;) I can't make a specific suggestion though because I don't have experience with your guitar and amp combination. Maybe a Timmy though or something else that has 3 band eq?

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
hard to find and maybe $$, but the BJF PGC is all I'd ever want in this - doesn't roll of the high end if you don't want it too..

Seegs

hard to find and maybe $$, but the BJF PGC is all I'd ever want in this - doesn't roll of the high end if you don't want it too..
totally agree...the ultimate strat comp....sounds great with a tele and ok and usable with hums but with my strat my PGC is my MVP for both clean use and when goosing od pedals...it's just magic with a strat...

good luck finding one...I sold my first one...kicked myself for doing so and then waited 2 years before I accidently saw used one come up on ebay Italy that I could afford...I don't normally surf ebay Italy...

I also like the Okko Coca Comp....the Keely dulls the high end...I am also interested in trying a Maxon CP9Pro+...

Chow,
Seegs

kenoflife

Silver Supporting Member
....sounds great with a tele and ok and usable with hums
true - I like it with my tele, not so much with my Heritage 535 (335) -
I go back and forth between using it or a carb as a clean boost - the carb tends to be used more as a solo boost, with the PGC always on (esp. w/ alt-countryish stuff)

wgs1230

Fully Intonatable
Silver Supporting Member
I don't really want extra volume just more sustain and a tiny bit more grit for arpeggios and clean w/delay rhythms.
Then you certainly don't want a compressor, and if the RC isn't doing it, a true clean boost is the wrong choice, too. You want a mild OD/dirty boost- if you want to go with Keeley, the Java on the Bass setting or the cascaded boost on the Katana might get it done, or the lower clipping setting on the Fuzz might also work.

fr8_trane

Silver Supporting Member
Compressors can double as boosts. Just run the compression at 0 and crank the output volume. If you want to add compression you always have the option to do so.

alivegy

I have never used one, but the Keeley Katana sounds like it does exactly what you want. It is a compressor with the option to add some grit into it. Mostly it is used to drive your preamp tubes just a bit more.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
I have never used one, but the Keeley Katana sounds like it does exactly what you want. It is a compressor with the option to add some grit into it. Mostly it is used to drive your preamp tubes just a bit more.

I don't think the Katana is a compressor. It might add some compression by virtue of pushing the tubes harder but it's firmly a boost. Keeley makes a compressor however so perhaps you're confusing the two?

woof*

lizard leg dragon boost.
seriously.
ive tried a million pedals, looking for the same thing your asking for. clean sustain, the same tone..but more of it. you wont be dissapointed. just amazing pedal. in a couple years they are going to be $... and sought after like klons i predict. in fact its kinda like a klon without the gain feature.

Trending Topics