Should I get a Dr. Z Maz Jr. to replace my 72' Twin?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rinkrat6821, May 18, 2008.

1. rinkrat6821

rinkrat6821 Member

I really like my twin, but it has alot of cons:

Pros: Beautiful sparkley,clean tone. Great reverb. Takes pedals well.

Cons: WAY too awkward to carry around, even with wheels. I find the tone becomes very harsh when I turn up past four, even though I rarely go higher than that. It also, obviously doesn't break up at all so I can't push it as well with an overdrive pedal.

I have wanted a Z for a long time but still not sure. My sound is based around my cleans so I need the maz jr. to have a clean sound as good or better than the twin. I like that it has a master volume as well so I can get it to the edge of breakup and stomp on an overdrive pedal or fuzz to push it into some better overdrive than my twin. Guitars vol. knob could be used as well.

Thanks all, Cody

2. zenfreud

zenfreud Member

If you want to retain some sense of large clean headroom, you might want to give a listen to the Maz Senior (or 38 as they used to be named) before pulling the trigger on a Jr. But the Senior is also a fairly heavy amp to cart around.

I'd go for the Jr. if you're looking for output tube distortion at medium levels. Both of the Z's are nice amps, though neither will sound exactly like a Fender. I believe Dr Z has other amps that are more in the Fender realm.

3. rinkrat6821

rinkrat6821 Member

I dig the recommendation,but like you said, it will be just as heavy, so I dont know.

All the shows I play are mic'd so I know I can get all the cleans I need from the jr. and also push it very well with an overdrive. It seems like the perfect scenario to me but I also have not worked with the amp much at all.

4. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Not really in the same league. You will get nice cleans but not like a twin and the Jr breaks up pretty early, not full roar but the blur of el84 that is so magical. The sparkle from a twin is very different from a Maz I would suggest not as spectral more fundamental tone. I have yet to get the low end thump from a Maz that a twin does. I tried the 55Hz speakers and got a little closer but not quite the same.

5. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I love Dr. Z amps, but their cleans don't have much in common with a Twin.

Perhaps what you want is a lower wattage blackface amp like a Deluxe Reverb?

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Maybe a Z28 if your set on a Z. 22 watts with 6V6 power tubes may get you a little more of that sparkle that you are after.

7. rinkrat6821

rinkrat6821 Member

Ok. I appreciate the insight. I def. agree the maz clean is more a fundamental clean without the sparkleyness and spank. The thing is, if I could get a great overdrive sound out of my twin that is not brittle and sharp, I would be extremely happy. Thats why I though about the Zs. I base my sound off my clean but I need overdrive often as well.
    Heres a link to my band: www.myspace.com/loveandasidearm

If you're bored, check it out and maybe you can recommend me something diff. or better for that sound. I do like the tones I got on those recordings, but live can be diff. I have a barber ltd, barber direct drive, and keeley mod. blues driver and they all sound good with it, but not exactly right to my ears lately. Maybe my head is messing with me. I appreciate it though. Thanks.

8. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

I have a '71 Twin and retired it for the same reasons as you.

The Maz Sr. will still be crazy loud before it sounds good, and it is heavy. The Z cabinets are built like tanks. I had one and just got rid of it last week. Since I got my Maz Jr I hadn't used the Sr. in 3 years. The Maz Jr. will get very loud and clean, or you can turn up the pre and lower the master and get great overdrive tones. Two things I did to "Fender up" my Maz amps were-

1- Put an Ei Elite or some other, more Fender sounding 12ax7 in the first two preamp slots.
    2- Put a NOS Phillips 12AT7 in the phase inverter slot. This will reduce the gain going into the output section. Old Fenders use a 12AT7 in this position.

A couple new tubes and some time twiddling tone controls and a Maz Jr. can sound very Fendery or very Marshall.

Or you could buy an Allen Amp.

http://www.allenamps.com/

I also have an Allen Old Flame 1x12 combo. 50lbs. and it sounds like an old Fender Blackface amp. Try it with a Weber 12F150 speaker!

9. rinkrat6821

rinkrat6821 Member

I'm glad I"m not the only one. lol. I still don't know, but I dig that it has a master volume alot. And I think the clean tone is great, just different. I'll check out the allens for sure. Thanks!...by the way, are you happy that you have the maz jr. instead of the twin now??

10. DoobieK

DoobieK Member

I have been very happy with my Maz. It's a 1x12 combo. I recently got my Allen tweaked the way I want it and have been using the Old Flame at gigs. A friend of mine has been using my Maz Jr. and after his first gig with it he wanted to buy it and his drummer begged me to sell it to him. That amp ain't goin' nowhere. BTW, I only loaned it to him so he could see first hand what a great amp it is. He's had the amp since February and some days I miss it. To be honest, I was hoping he would have his own Jr. by now. I may have to get it back soon!

Also, both amps take pedals very well. My favorite with the Maz is the G2D Classic. I have been using a home built and modded Brown Sound In A Box with the Old Flame. I don't work for or know anyone that works for these companies. I just really like the products and have gone through a lot of gear to find these great products.

11. rinkrat6821

rinkrat6821 Member

Awesome. Thanks for the reply. I've got some serious maz jr. GAS now...

12. sricabla

sricabla Member

If only Fender made 20-30 watt twins,they would be hard to beat !
    Remember, most of the amp companies basically copy the twin and make them better. As for Z amps I have a Mazerati which is plenty loud for 35 watts. I would say you can't go wrong with a Z amp. The best bang for the buck of all the boutique amps.

13. hogridr

hogridr Member

I love the Z amps, but the Maz Jr won't quite have the same clean as your Fender. Maybe the Stangray, still not the same clean sound, but a great one. There is also the newest offering from Z, the EZG50. The "blackface that never was". Quote from the Dr Z site.

14. rinkrat6821

rinkrat6821 Member

I'll look into that...give me a lighter twin and I would be happy.haha.