Should I get a JamMan?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steven.rogers, Jul 16, 2006.

1. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Supporting Member

I know these kinds of threads have been posted before, but I did do a search and I think my questions are more specific than just reading through other threads. But anyway, I've been thinking about getting a JamMan for a while now. I do know that I want a looper, but I'm just not sure if I want the JamMan or something else. One thing that draws me toward the JamMan is that you can store your loops and send them to the computer - but I'm not sure if I would use that enough for it to be a deciding factor. I most likely would not use a looper live, either. My cousin has a Boomerang and I do really like it, but the JamMan or maybe a Boss RC-20XL has features that the Boomerang doesn't. I could try and wait for the new Boomerang to come out, but I really want a looper now because I feel like it would substantially improve my playing. So basically, I'm just asking which looper I should get - a JamMan, an RC-20XL, a Boomerang, or another one? And I'm not really worried about portability so I don't really want an RC-2. Thanks a lot for any help.

2. msp

msp Member

boomerang is introducing a new looper this year

i am waiting for it myself. the boss and digitech loopers are ok (lots of features but the features aren't to user friendly in a live situation like the boomerang) i may have to buy one to make it through my shows untill the new boomerang comes out

but the boomerangs as they are now are too noisey for me (i just love how they play)

3. steven.rogers

Yeah, I'd love to wait for the new 'Rang, but like I said, I just feel like that might be too long to wait. But I don't want to buy something now only to have something much better come out right afterwards. I guess I could get a cheap one that just does basic functions (if there is such a thing) and wait it out for the Boomerang...

4. steven.rogers

Bump. How do the RC-20XL and JamMan compare?

5. flacke

flacke Member

I had the Boss and sold it before I really got to know it. I needed Cash fast. One thing about the boss I didn't like was that you had to hold the record botton down for 2 seconds to clear a bad loop when jamming. Instead I wish it had a quick delet function.
    I also for some reason was under the impresion that you could speed up or slow down a loop with the tap tempo switch. That way if the band spead up or slowed down between changes it could be changed. It doesn't. It was nice when I got a little better at nailling the loop right on. Is the Digi the same pedal basicly?

6. steven.rogers

Yeah, they're basically the same pedal, give or take some features. The JamMan also requires that you hold the pedal down to delete IIRC. But I'm not sure if you can slow down/speed up or not, and I can't be bothered to look right now. Thanks for your help. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the RC-20XL.

7. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Check out the newest Boss RC-2 LoopStation... compact pedal... $189? Seems cool. I have the older RC-20... I could replace it at some point with a newer model that has "undo"... I wish there was a "delete loop" button on the expansion unit instead of having to hold another button down for 2 seconds. However, there is room for a stereo looper in my rig, maybe the E-H 2880, but I'm waiting on the Boomerang 2.

8. derek2615

derek2615 Member

I used my JamMan last night practicing some lead licks. I use the iPod input more than the looping. I simply record the lead run off the ipod and start it looping. Drives my wife crazy but great for practice, repitition, repitition, repetition... I thought I would use the computer transfer thing as well, but I haven't. I thought I would need 99 storage locations and 6 hours of recording time, but I haven't. JamMan is great, more features than the Boss, two pedals are convenient, but I could have easily gotten by with the Boss.

Fact is, I'm going to use the $299 JamMan until the Boss RC-2 releases then off to eBay with the JamMan. The bigger JamMan does not fit on my board easily and the RC-2 would. And now I know the basic features of the RC-2 are all that I will ever use anyway.

9. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I bought a $45 expansion pedal that lets me shuffle through loops and hit reverse with a regular cable and stereo cable hooked up to the RC-20... If I got an RC-20XL, I could still use it and get the undo feature... I don't know if I could use this expansion pedal with the RC-2, but if I have room I guess I don't really care... I paid $150 for the loop station, anyway, I think... Boomerang 2.....when!??! didn't they just do NAMM??

10. drolling

drolling Member

As Splatt has sagely pointed out in another thread about the new mini looper from BOSS, none of this new crop really offers anything ground-breaking, and some could even be seen as a step backward, as they're missing key features that have been available for years in the form of the Gibson/Oberheim EDP, the Electrix Repeater, and yes, even lowly old loopers like the original Lexicon JamMan and the good ole 'Rang+.

But I can kinda understand that, as companies usually lose their shirts on these devices, often forcing them out of production after the first run. BOSS & DigiTech are obviously playing it safe, offering up variations on a simple theme - keeping them easy to use for first time loopers who are looking for a practice tool or something that'll let them knock off a rhythm track to solo over till the cops come or the divorce papers are served..

But the new JamMan is a fun little toy - it even comes loaded w/bass'n drum grooves in various guitar-friendly keys & styles designed to get any newcomer up and running right out the box. Like the RC-20/XL, you don't even need to crack the manual to get instant results. And this is the main problem, as you'll soon discover the limitations that go along with this level of 'user-friendliness'.

So, if I was you, I'd probably wait a bit and pick up a used one after the the RC-2 & the new Boomerang hit the streets. I bought an RC-20 when they were first released, having no way of knowing the XL would be available less than 6 months later. I was afraid they'd be discontinued, so I had to have one right away, but now I probably couldn't give it away:rotflmao

11. steven.rogers

Yeah, I don't really want an RC-2. I'm hardly an effects guy, so I don't need compactness. I just want a good looper. I love the 'Rang, but they're so expensive. I was originally going to wait for the new Boomerang to come out, but I feel like it's too long of a wait. I'm at a point where I'm kind of stuck with my music and I think that a decent looper would help. As you pointed out, I don't want to buy something now and have something that much better come out in a few months. Right now I'm just looking for a (hopefully) cheap solution - I probably will pick up the new 'Rang when it comes out. I was actually talking to a guy here about buying his RC-20XL for $200, but I'm just not sure that I want to spend that much money for a temporary solution. But hey, if you want to give away your RC-20, I'll be right here. If you really don't want it anymore, I might buy it off you. :D

But anyway, I appreciate the help from all of you, but the more the better! :BEER

12. drolling

drolling Member

Just thought of something - There was a batch of "Blooperangs" available cheap.. These have some weird glitch that apparently 95% of the users wouldn't notice, and there may be a few still kicking around at the factory.

I read about them @Loopers-delight, so I don't have details, but you could e-mail the company for more info if the idea interests you.

BTW, I still use mine every week. I've tried & tried to incorporate the new BOSS/DigiTech boxes into my rig, but keep going back to the old 'Rang..fits like a comfortable extra-large shoe..

13. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I see no mention of new Boss RC 50. It's is a lopper dream, stereo, 99 patchs in mono. 3 phasing pedals to each patch, sub outs, mutiple instrument in's and out's. USB out to computer to down and upload patches, acceptable drum grooves built in. Midi in and out to control drums machines etc. Much more involved but those features were just off the top of my head. I am having much fun with mine.

14. steven.rogers

I do like the RC-50's, but I think it would just be too much for my tastes, if you know what I mean. Price is also an issue - I'm trying to find something for $200 or less.

15. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

Count out the 2880 as well, then...

16. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Fox, I'm not sure what you want looping for. I can tell you, however, that I own an RC-20XL, and I would have been just fine with the RC-20. The XL only has more minutes (I've never come close to storing 5 on the XL), and the ability to store any phrase as repeating or one shot, whilst the RC-20 lets you store one phrase as a one-shot and the rest as looping. I think that's all the differences between the 2.

Then again, I only use my pedal for practise. If I ever did want to incorporate looping into my live act, I'd probably get a 'rang as I'm more inspired by building loops in realtime than preset loops.

I'd check ebay. I see RC-20s on there all the time for less than 150

17. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

sorry if I miss spoke. That is why I am more of lurker than a poster. I should have just read the thread and kept moving.

18. steven.rogers

That's what I've decided to start looking for, just a few minutes ago actually. I'd be using it for practice, but if I ever need to use it live, I plan on picking up the new 'Rang anyway. That's why I just want a cheap, temporary solution. And there's a guy in the Emporium selling an RC-20 now, so I might be able to catch him.

19. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

One big difference: THERE IS NO UNDO FEATURE ON THE RC-20... I miss such a feature on mine and it's something to consider when looking at the RC-20 over the RC-20XL or even just the RC-2... $10 less than the $200 RC-20 will get you a new, smaller RC-2 that at least has undo on it...

20. steven.rogers

That's not really gonna be something that will bother me too much. All I want is something that'll record a chord progression and play it back a couple times.:AOK