Should I get a semi-hollow?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RockDC, Apr 3, 2008.

1. RockDC

RockDC Member

I have a `91 American Standard Telecaster with GFS pups. I really like the way it sounds but I've been thinking about trading it in and getting a ES-335 or a ES-175.

I play a Dr. Z Maz Jr. and a Marshall JMP. I want to be able to play mostly Blues and Country with it. I have other guitars that fit the Rock n Roll stuff I do.

So do you think I should sell the tele and get a Semi-hollow? Or should I stick with what I have?

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

The correct answer is keep the Tele AND get a semi-hollow.

Glad I could help.

3. rivaeast

rivaeast Member

My thought exactly!

4. RockDC

RockDC Member

That was my first thought but I know if I like the semi-hollow enough I'd never play the tele.

5. Mark C

Mark C Member

If you end up not playing the Tele, then sell it.

6. cram

cram Member

I agree. save up if you haven't already to have both flavors.
    do you really like your sound and playing on the tele?
    You'll miss it in ways the semi-hollow guitar cannot satisfy. then you'll be playing with someone who's using a tele like you once had and you'll be stricken with more envy than seeing your ex-girlfriend laughing with another dude a few days after you kicked her to the curb....

or maybe not.

7. RockDC

RockDC Member

A tele has always been one of those guitars that I love the look of but only like the tone.

The things I like are the punch and the pop of a tele. But there is a smoothness of a semi-hollow that is so intriguing.

8. Onswah

Onswah Member

Between those styles, I'd go with the 335 over the 175 to cover the styles you listed. A 175 is fully hollow and will not put up with a ton of volume without feeding back.

9. RockDC

RockDC Member

Ah great to know thanks.

10. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

How about a thin-line/semi-hollow Tele?

And sell your current tele to me.

Naw - keep it. You'll want it at some point down the line...:RoCkIn

Cheers,
    Cowboy

11. mainsale

mainsale Member

At the absolute minimum, everyone should have a Tele, a Strat, a Les Paul & a Semi-hollowbody to have all of your bases covered.

[​IMG]

12. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I concur.

13. RockDC

RockDC Member

Good idea... but I think the thinlines are even brighter than a solid body... and solid body teles are BRIGHT!

14. * velcro-fly *

* velcro-fly * Supporting Member

Check out the ES-339 if you can..best deal Gibson has going at the moment. :dude

15. freshmattyp

freshmattyp Member

Check out the Heritage H535 as well, a great buy in an American made guitar.

16. Demo

Demo Member

I'm going to respectfully disagree with my esteemed colleague in that IF you're thinking about selling/trading it, you don't love it. I can't even count how many Tele's I went through to get what I wanted, but I ultimately found two. If it don't do it, trade it. Same goes for women. I promise Teles do Blues and Country though. And ES-335's and/or 175's Rock and Blues too.

I think you need to let your inhibitions run wild and get yourself a Gretch Country Gentlemen along with a Gretch 6150? Come on!!!!!!!

17. meterman

meterman Member

You say you want blues and country, in many ways that IS a Tele, so I'd say....get a better Tele :D Just my $.02 of course but I played a '93 American Standard Strat for years and when I finally upgraded to my EJ I got the Strat tones I'd been looking for the whole time - and you may find the same thing with Teles. Don't get me wrong I love semi-hollowbodies, find them very versatile and use one as my main guitar. But they are more fat and round than twangy, and lean toward the jazzy end of blues....especially the 175. I'd try some different Teles, and then add a semi-hollow to your arsenal too later on...

18. mainsale

mainsale Member

Further along those lines I've found the American Standard Tele to be an outstanding platform to modify. You might want to think about yanking out those GFS pickups and putting in some Fralin Blues Specials or Lollar Special-T or a hose of other high end pickups and tone caps to improve its tone. One modification I did to an Am Std Tele that came out exceedingly well was to add a Fralin P-92 at the neck, a Fralin Blues Special at the bridge, a Hoveland Tonecap and 4-way switching with a PigTail vintage bridge. I'd put this Tele up against any other Tele out there, any time, any place, any where!

[​IMG]

19. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

I think you need a good semi-hollow body guitar (as does every decent person), also perhaps another telecaster. Seeing as the one you have now is not totally doing it for you. There are probably many telecasters that could affect you far more deeply.

Just planting a gear page seed of obsession ...

20. rogue.guineapig

rogue.guineapig Member

=win