Should I get one of these SX basses?

weshunter

Gold Supporting Member
http://www.rondomusic.com/URSA2MNNAs.html

they seem like they might be good, at least as far as body and neck go

i'm a guitar player looking to get a bass that will sound good for recording and that i could use on a bass gig every now and then. the main reason i like these basses is that they are cheap. if i need to replace the electronics, i can do that. what do you think tgp?

memiller

I've owned two SX basses, and bought a third for my fiancee's mom. They're starting points, but nothing more. They do need some setup work, and if you want to record you'll definitely want to get new electronics. Not necessarily new pickups though, the SX ones sound decent.

My basses were both fretless, but the other was fretted. It needs a serious setup, and might even need some fretwork. It's the LOWEST of low end models though, so take that into consideration.

Basically for less than $200 shipped to you, they're good deals. Moreso if you do your own setups.

Dr Git

I own the model above that one, and love it. Note, i'm a guitar player, and not a bassist. The model i have has a Bad Ass style bridge, upgraded tuners and pickups...not sure what other upgrades SX did for it, but these bass' are all pretty awesome for $$$...here's mine

harpinon

I bought an SX '62 jazz copy for $100. Then a set of mexi pups for $40 then a mexi loaded control plate for $20.
It's a killer bass with killer tone.

Do it!!!

harpinon

where did you find those pups and control plate?
EBay. They might not be there every day, but keep looking and you'll find them.
Tons of guys upgrade mexis and ditch the guts thinking they are inferior which they are not.

Dr Git

If you buy the model i have above. I really think you'll be surprised how good it sounds and plays...It rarely ever goes out of tune as well...i was really impressed. I liked it better then the Fender Mexican Jazz I played honestly. Only thing is I don't think these are easy to get as I think they discontinued this model

halo3628

i have a sx bass and i agree i needs set-up work... action truss rod... and a fret level-crown-polish

get mexi pickups and they will sound amazing!

Bassist77

Don't get the SX....

I have owned about 5 SX and they are decent for the price. However, I recently bought a Squire shortscale Jaguar for $169 and the bass is worth WAY more than that. The neck is awesome, not sticky, but nice and smooth. The P pup sounds great. The J is a little weak but when combined with the P the bass sounds very good.

If you buy an SX it will likely require mods and most likely a setup and definitely new strings. The squire Jag requires NOTHING. Even the strings are pretty dang decent. I am going to sell all my SXs, as I have 3 left, and just use this Jag. Check one out in a store if you get a chance. They are WAY better than the SX basses IMO/IME.

CA_Dan

Gold Supporting Member
I have an SX PJ and a Squier Classic Vibe Jazz. The Squier kicks ass all over the SX, so if it were me I'd go with a Squier Classic Vibe.

BUT...I did a setup on the SX, installed new electronics, and switched pickups and it can now hang with the Squier for playability and actually sounds REALLY good. I have to say the Squier stuff coming out today is a real bargain given how well they play and sound right out of the box, for both Bass and Guitar.

Fatherflot

Think of the SX as a very nice mod platform. I got the short scale Jag-style bass and the neck, tuners, body are all great. I did change the pickups (to DiMarzio noiseless Jazz) and caps/pots and installed a heavier Grotoh bridge. It's now my dream bass. Just fantastic.

335guy

I have an SX med. scale jazz style bass. And after minor adjustments ( intonation ) and new flats, I find it to be fine for recording. The pickups are fine ( not noisy ) and the body and neck are just fine. My frets were smooth and level. I guess I got a decent one. My buddy's '60 P-Bass has a better neck shape ( thinner and wider ) but to my ears, the SX sounds as good; different, but as good, and more versatile.

Trending Topics