Should I get the Orange OR15H?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dflipp, May 1, 2016.

1. dflipp

dflipp Member

Hi! I'm currently looking for a new amp. I want a 3 band EQ and Effects Loop. I'm about to go for the Orange OR15H but I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I think it might not have enough of gain for my style.

I want it for some kind of stoner/doom/sludge-type sound with some hardcore and metal influences. I could list tens of bands I wish to sound like but something along the lines of High On Fire would pretty well sum it up.

I want to go with Orange. I know I have the Dark Terror and the Jim Root but the first isn't tweakable enough and lacks the Effects Loop, and the later is a signature amp I wouldn't ever buy. I hate signature gear and I'm not really a fan of either Stone Sour or Slipknot, so that's something I can't live with.

So the question is, will the OR15H live up to my gain needs? Can it do some high gain type sounds? I've seen some videos where it sounds like it can do it, despite being announced as more of a vintage Orange sound type of gear.

What do you think? Should I get it? Any OR15H owners here willing to give some input?

Here are four videos with some of the tones I'm looking to achieve.

Any and all ideas, sounds and thoughts welcomed. Thanks in advance. If there is some other brand/model that will fit me better please state it. I'll consider other options besides Orange.

High on Fire - Ethereal

Pallbearer - Foundations

Brainoil - Opaque Reflections

Converge - The Saddest Day

2. lowpaygigs

lowpaygigs Member

Fyi, this is not the best forum for that kind of music.

sg~guy likes this.
  3. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

The OR15 has a ton of gain. I run the gain on mine between 10 and 11 o'clock for classic rock kind of stuff. I've flipped it past noon a few times and believe me there's a lot more there. You've got Treble, Mid, and Bass control, so you should be able to eq it the way you want. Put some kind of boost in front of it and you should be there.

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  4. thekaiser

thekaiser Member

It's a shame you won't consider the Jim Root, because that's really the amp you're looking for. It is itself based on the Rockerverb so I would be looking for a used MkII which you should be able to find for roughly the same price as a new OR15. But with the right OD, the OR15 should also get you there.

And this really isn't the best forum for that type of music. I would check out sevenstring.org or something more in that vain for people who have more experience with the sound you're after.

sg~guy likes this.
  5. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

I think the OR should get you there, particularly with a boost, which it benefits from anyway. It's a great amp! I love it, and really want one. It's very dynamic and fun to play, and definitely loud for a 15w amp.

6. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

I had and sold the OR100 which has the same preamp as the OR15.
    It has a buttload of gain and with a Tubescreamer it will tighten right up.
    It does that kind of Dual Rec/Soldano metal with it's hands tied behind it's back.

7. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

FWIW I'd also consider the 50w or a 50w Rockerverb. Killer amps.

8. Seth L

The OR15 will immediately put things in place with a fat, dynamic and rich sound. The gain control is one of the best I ever had under my fingers: above 12 o'clock, every signal sounds like hell on earth, desolation and nuclear war. You can get really crazy distortions and very convincing metal sounds with the right EQing. Pinch harmonics scream easily while palm-mute playing shakes the walls!

What he said.

9. wickedcookie

wickedcookie Silver Supporting Member

OR15 is a great amp, it has lots of gain and can be very thick and heavy sounding, so with an overdrive or boost of your liking it should get you into that vein.

I do agree with thekaiser - it is a shame you've ruled out a potentially very useful option because of an irrational aversion to the words written on it. Your choice, of course, but if that particular amp were indeed the closest to what you're looking for, refusing to use it because you don't like Slipknot seems akin to cutting off your nose to spite your face.

lowpaygigs likes this.
  10. Seth L

The Jim Root #4 is essentially the same amp with a different look.

11. TJT79

TJT79 Member

I have (and am selling) the OR15. I agree with the above - it should be good for your needs. It's thick and punchy, not too bright and pretty dynamic. The EQ works quite effectively and it responds well to changes in preamp tubes.

I use it playing live and unmiced with a band. As long as you don't need much clean headroom, it's pretty loud too.

12. sa1126

sa1126 Member

An OR15 will get you there but you would do better with a larger orange head. The OR15 just doesn't have the torque of the larger heads IMO but it all depends on your cabinet I suppose. If price is an option maybe consider a laney aor50 or 100.

13. EastHastings

EastHastings Member

I've wanted one of those for a while and finally had the chance to play one today. Amazing sound, not disappointing at all. Also surprisingly quiet at 7w. I'd buy one right now but it doesn't make sense for the type of music I play.

14. sg~guy

sg~guy Member

-I would worry about what it sounds like,.. I could give a sh*t who's name is on it, until you mentioned who Jim root was I hadn't a clue,

-if there was a pink HELLO KITTY amp, with polka dots and neon dingle berries hanging off it and it brought the brootz, would I care?... Pffffffffffff!! HELL NO!! i'd rock that biatch!!!

-(I have a 2203KK and I have no idea who Kerry king is, well other than he's a bald midget with really horrible tribal tattoos, but I love his/my amp!!

15. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The Orange OR15 is basically a JR#4 with a headshell and a couple of resister changes from what I've read.

The Dark Terror does have an FX loop but it's a pretty iffy amp; very sterile and dry but fizzy and harsh. I hated mine (I had two as I got one in a trade and thought maybe something wasn't quite right with the first).

I think the OR15 sounds pretty darn good but for metal it's pushing it's envelope hard and sounds quite fuzzy and not very tight (from owners accounts) at this point. I think with a boost it would be better but they are a single channel amp. This might be absolutely perfect for the music you are into but I myself like a tighter amp (not too tight but tight enough) for my high gain shenanigans. I think for a blues or vintage hard rock tone, the OR15 would be awesome and I'll probably eventually pick one up when one appears cheap enough second hard.

Just throwing it out there but as an alternative, consider the Laney IRT-Studio.

It's a small, lightweight, 3 channel rack mountable amp (but it comes with a softcase), with FX loop and a bucket load of features (great master volume, lots of nice aggressive gain - no fizz/fuzz, two complete sets of EQ's, re-amping, quiet practice, 1w mode, headphone jack, footwitch, reverb, inbuilt load etc) and it seriously kills (as in stone dead IMHO) 'tonally' the orange amps I've owned (I've owned the Dark Terror and TH30 heads) for any kind of heavy music. It's laughable how much better that little beast sounds and they are so cheap second hand. The feature set is crazy but it's not at the expense of a good tone like some other small German spec wunder amps. I've found that people can't seem to give them away as they seem to be quite misunderstood amps.

16. neteraser

neteraser Member

Who told you that? That is just your freaking opinion.

teveinsene likes this.
  17. 58flame

58flame Member

Seriously, a solid state amp, and as thrashy of a distortion pedal you can find. The good news is, you can get that kind of tone for not a lot of money. No judgement here, just trying to help, as I support all musicians in their endeavors, unless they are in direct competition with me. And clearly, this isn't the case here. Goos luck in your search for tone.

18. dflipp

dflipp Member

Hey guys! Thanks for all your input and replies. Some of you are right, I should really consider the #4 JR. Maybe I'm just being stupid with all the signature bias. It's the tone that really matters to me. If I could find a cheap Rockerverb MKII in good condition I would definitely consider it so I might as well seriously think about the #4 JR.

sg~guy likes this.