Should I get the Vox AC15CC1 or AC15CC1X

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Apartment 11, Sep 4, 2008.

1. Apartment 11

Apartment 11 Member

I went to Guitar Center this morning and tried out the Vox AC15 and really liked it. I play Blues, Rock and some Country. Is this amp good enough to handle stage performances with rooms that fit 500-1000 or is it just good for recording? I wanted to try the AC30 but they had a broken one that they didn't want customers playing on it. How much better is the AC30 to the AC15? What is the main differences between the AC15CC1 and the AC15CC1X? Is the difference really that much better or is it worth the extra money?

Thanks for any replies.

2. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

500-1000 venue? On it's own, no. I have the AC15cc1, and while it's a fabulous amp, it won't effectively cover a building that size with a full band. If you pair it with an ext. cab, you may be able to use it in a venue that size. I always miced it in venues seating 200 or more, so I never tried to push it that much.

It's a great little amp, and I highly recommend it.

As for the speaker, it's a personal preference. The wharf in the cc1 is basically an inexpensive greenback clone. The blue is a distinct alnico speaker. They're quite different, and both have their uses.

If I were you, I'd get the CC1 and an extension cab loaded with a blue or blue clone if you aren't going to mic it. If you will be micing it, then you need to decide which speaker suits your tastes more.

D

3. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Get the CC1 and replace the speaker. The stock speaker sucks IMHO and even if you replaced the speaker with a Blue it still works out cheaper.

4. Apartment 11

Apartment 11 Member

Yes, I forgot to mention I'm actually just going to mic it up. Of course, 15 Watts is not going to be able to handle a venue that large. I'm not going to pair with a cab or anything. So, the main differences are just that they use different speakers? So you have the AC15CC1, not the X version? Is the difference really that much different?

Thanks

5. Apartment 11

Apartment 11 Member

Can you really still get the same tone as the X version just by only changing the speaker? Will it affect anything? I've never done anything like that before. Where do you buy those speakers?

6. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

I have a CC1 and have come to love it.

But out of the box I thought it was terrible: it really needs an appropriate speaker, and reverb upgrade, AND, here's a secret I found extra padding surrounding the reverb tank - even if you get an Acutronix, this helps.

I did the 'Bright-cap' mod, but most importantly, I found a fantastic speaker, an unusual speaker, a Spanish made PA speaker called a DAS P12, that really shines and makes the amp palatable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, and I think this is important, I got a cheap pair of strong NOS Mullard EL84 tubes and some ANOS GE 12s - with the Mullards - a noticeable improvement

I bought mine for so cheap that I decided that it is going to be a platform for modding experiment; I bought a Mercury Magnetics Choke that I plan to install, I will be putting in an On/Off switch for the Bright-Cap, and I will be adding a Tone-Cut knob, I'll be replacing some resistors and maybe, in the future will also replace caps.

But s far, after the first mods (Bright-cap, DAS Speaker, Tubes) I like it very much.

7. Apartment 11

Apartment 11 Member

What do you do with the speakers you don't use? If you know you're gonna change the speakers then why not just get the X version? What's one benefit of the stock speaker to the Blue Alnico other than the price?

8. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I have a weber alnico bluedog in my cc1 also and it's a killer speaker in that amp. I like it much better than the celestion blue I have.