Should I go bigger or smaller for my #2 amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by squeally dan, Jul 18, 2008.

1. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I have a silverface deluxe reverb, and I keep selling all my other amps because I never like them as much as the deluxe. I'd like to have one backup besides my powerblock. We play all size places .. mostly weddings and corporate parties. I alwaqys have a soundman and monitors. SO whicc way would you go? I really want something smaller like a sf princeton. I think it would work well for my smaller church gigs, but would probably be big enough to gig my regular stuff if the deluxe ever goes down. On the other hand, I feel like their might be an occasion where I need a bit more power and I have thoguht of a sf vibrolux or sf super reverb. Rcently I played a large outdoor gig and had no probs with volume out of the deluxe. I just can't decide. Help.

2. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Hey Squeally weren't you looking into el84 amps a while back? Maz18 or something?? If you want small and portable with a diff flavor check into the Vox 15. Just sayin'

A princeton is cool but I found them un-giggable with the stock 10" speaker. I had a SF princeton that David Allen sweetened up and I put it into a cab with a 12" baffle. Even then it was 'just' giggable.

3. D 2 Z

D 2 Z Member

well if you like it a lot and nothings come close to it maybe just get another if youre only looking for a backup. Maybe get a pedal that could give you a different sounding amp.

4. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I'd get a head and a cab. The head is great for portability if the venue has a cab, and there's the added bonus of being able to buy new heads and try them out.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Excellent choices.

The Prosonic combo is a less expensive option as well.

6. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

not fammilar with the prosonic, but i'll chec it out.

7. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

You can make some significant volume adjustments by swapping out speaker type, number of speakers and the cabinet style. Effectively making your head bigger or smaller without radical shifts in tone.

8. doc

doc Member

I'd go with the Princeton (with some mods).

9. guitarman_nebr

guitarman_nebr Supporting Member

i figure the gigs i am playing most. small, med, or large venue. that is the amp i chose for #1. then, my #2 is chosen for the gigs that are always there but not so often.

i use a 30 watt 6L6 amp for my usual gigs and a 50 watt 6L6 amp for larger gigs.

i use a 1x12 or 2x12 extension cab on either combo to add more speaker mass.

lots of choices every time i play.

10. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

What exact amps are you using? Curious.

11. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Narrowed down to a silverface pro reverb, super reverb, or vibrolux. Which one you think would be best for mowtown/r&B/wedding gig?

12. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Anybody have an opinion?

13. Stormin

Stormin Staff Member Supporting Member

Dan,

I've owned a lot of Fender's over the years. If I were in your boat, I'd augment the Deluxe with 2x6L6 (40 watt) amp so you had a little more headroom on your side. I'd look into a Vibrolux Reverb, Pro Reverb, or a Bassman head. IMHO, even though the Bassman doesn't have reverb, it's a superb head for it's size and versatility. The ones I've owned were great platforms for pedals. Another option would be a SF Bandmaster Reverb head. The TFL5005's can still be had fairly cheaply. I would probably steer away from a Super Reverb though - the ones I've owned were just too big to be user/gig friendly.

Stormin!

14. es125luv

es125luv Member

pm sent!

15. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

Cool. Hadn't really thought of a bassman.

16. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

Got a DRRI (got a BFDR clone coming)

Loving a BF Bandmaster through a Fender-style closed 2x10 cab right now. (I think 2x12 was std. for bandmaster cab. ?)

Great platform for pedals.
    A little louder than DR

Reasonable prices for bandmaster heads right now.

17. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

whats the difference between the blackface/silverface bandmasters? Is the tone simmilar to a vibrolux but just in head format without reverb?