Should I go with Helix LT or Headrush?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by specialidiot, Dec 30, 2017.

Which should I use? Please read the OP

1. Helix LT

63 vote(s)
    69.2%
  2. Headrush

11 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Something else

14 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. Stick with pedals

3 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Gold Supporting Member

I dig different sounds etc that I can get with my pedals.... I don't dig the messy board, wiring issues, fuxing with power supplies, etc.

I think I'd just use the board for effects, and feed it into either my 2xEL84 or my single 6V6 combo amp. I'm not (at this point anyway) interested in modeling different amps or sounds or whatever. I'd rather play my guitar than mess with my board.

I just want a platform that is somewhat static, but I can change up once in a while. Current pedals on my board are a tuner, fuzz, OD, distortion, reverb, tremelo, chorus, delay and a looper. I'm also just starting to dig my Trio. I like simple - I work in tech so in my off time I'm not messing around with it.

I guess other options is to just leave my board alone and play, or maybe have someone build me a custom board.

Thanks in advance for your thought and input!

2. dacula789

dacula789 Member

I just purchased the Headrush and I like it a lot. Its very easy to figure out and sounds great. Factory presets need to be tweaked or better yet start from scratch and build your own. I wasn't impressed with the factory presets and didn't care for the processor until I made my own presets. Im sure the Helix sounds just as good but offers more in-depth programming and for a lot of people has better sounding effects. One day I may purchase the Helix but as of right now Im totally content with the HR. You can't go wrong with either, go with which ever one you can get the best deal on.

3. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

The effects are really great in Helix. The drive pedals are just as good and better than the analog ones I had, simply for the reason that I never had a Klon, EP booster. The delays are great as well, full of character, (especially the Echoplex, Roland space echo 201, Deluxe Memory Man, Boss DM-2)

The reverbs are good enough for me, but will be overhauled in the next firmware release (due around early Feb)

In your case, I would set Helix up as a 10 stomps setting to begin with, then just use it as a pedal board. Then you could make one button active different effects at once, or make it change parameters on a delay. It can be as simple or deep as you'd want.

Helix is really growing and has amazing CS, which is really a nice bonus plus there's a pretty big community full of people who want to help should you need it.

I can't really comment on HR. Not much about it appeals to me (given the competition), but it does look great and easy to use as well. :)

4. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

I confronted this very decision a few weeks ago and went with the Helix LT.

It seemed like the pros of each platform came down to:

* Helix: Exceptional modeling, vast routing flexibility, REALLY great support from Line 6
    * Headrush: Pretty darn decent modeling, snazzy touchscreen

Having had some gear that didn't get any post-sale love, I can't overstate how important the L6 support was in this decision. The better modeling and routing made the Helix a no brainer. Not that Headrush is bad, per se, but it is based on a last-gen technology. In a way it's academic for me, as I lack the bat-ears some people on this board seem to have. And there certainly are lots of very acceptable Headrush demos...

Bottom line was, I traded snazzy touchscreen for a product I know is getting active, ongoing updates and excellent representation from the company here and other places.

Having messed with the LT for a couple weeks now, I don't miss the touch screen. The Helix UI (even as slightly-modified for the LT) is amazingly easy to operate once you have a little experience with it. You can pick up and drag blocks around a patch using the joystick almost as if you were touch-screening.

I don't think either of them is a wrong choice per se. Both are great tools.

Guitarzman, FuzzFacetious and Lution like this.
  5. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

If you’re just going to use the effects and not amp models, I might also look at the Boss GT-100 (cheaper) or the Fractal FX8 (expensive). Personally, I love Boss pedals so would probably go that way. About 15 years ago, I was using a GT-6 into a Blues Jr and frankly it sounded great.

6. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

He's looking at an LT, which limits stomp mode to 8 switches. Which is plenty for me, but might not be for some people.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  7. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    Buy both and return the one you like least.

ratbastid, JiveTurkey and MIJLOVER like this.
  8. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Of course, totally forgot. I'm using the floor. Thanks for the correction. I could easily make do with 8, and if I needed more versatility from the patch, I would just incorporate snapshots. :)

9. Guitardave

Guitardave Member

You should add a poll option for "Either one" - either unit will do exactly what you want.

I'd also check out the new Nux Cerberus. That (with your fuzz and looper pedal) would cover everything.

Love the Helix but it's my "big board" and I'm seriously thinking about the Cerberus one up to replace the pedals on my battery powered PT-JR analog board. Nice to have all those effect options (and IR loading so it's a built-in amp backup) in one tiny form factor.

10. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

I say Helix LT, but I am biased.

My opinion is that Helix has better modeling than the Headrush, but not by a lot.

Headrush has a snazzy touch screen though, and might be easier to learn up front.

Helix is by no means a hard to learn interface IMO, but some have issues with it.

11. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Supporting Member

Well this is the very reason forums were created, unfortunately hands on is the only way to know for sure from what I've experienced. I've owned as of recent the Headrush but found it to have an above average noise floor when using any gain related sims...being amps, pedals etc. I've not tried the hardware version of the Helix, but their software plugin was much quieter when dialing in the gain and I found no need for a gate.

Besides that, it was like a quality constructed 'tank' built by someone like Mercedes...and extremely easy to use.

If you buy a Headrush new, try to buy from Sweetwater because they have an in-house rep from Headrush at their campus headquarters. He's got an office there and after I purchased my HR he emailed me a lot with helpful tips and links for freebies. We had timely and lengthy conversations so I felt a great sense of support...that, and in combination with sweetwater's free 2 year warranty, it was a good vibe.

12. FuzzFacetious

FuzzFacetious Member

I made the exact same thread fairly recently and I concluded after a lot of research that I'll eventually get an HR.

Some say the Helix has slightly better modelling but HR has less noise/fizz in high gain tones and a better interface.

Tough choice but I think the HR would be more fun and I love high gain tones.

KSL, buddaman71 and Judge Smails like this.
  13. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

It will be interesting to see how this calculus changes after NAMM in a few weeks...:cool:

14. RandoMan

RandoMan Member

Phil!!! Why do you do this to us???

:)

DarrellM5, Guitarzman and MIJLOVER like this.
  15. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Supporting Member

I think this is why I'm holding out on settling with any current digital offerings. I'm patient enough to wait...I think :huh

jcj, MIJLOVER and Frank Ritchotte like this.
  16. MatchFive

MatchFive Silver Supporting Member

Maybe Mooer will come out with a GE 500 with more foot switches and a bigger screen for like $500

17. Jugemu

Jugemu Member

I've never touched a headrush, but can vouch for the helix LT. The drives and fx are great, and you can assign preamps to a footswitch to work like a stompbox - run a Plexi preamp into the front of your Champ or whatever.

The fuzzes are decent, imo, but everyone tends to have very specific tastes about fuzz. If you can't find what you want, you can add other blocks (gain, gate, comp, eq, drive etc) before and after the fuzz to tweak the sounds, assign them to the same footswitch and now they act together like one pedal.

You'll probably set it up in stomp mode at first, but snapshot mode is extremely powerful too. Like having a pedal board with a fancy switcher (gig-rig, gsx or whatever) that can switch combinations of pedals in and out, as well as control their settings if needed, all with no lag. Switch to completely different 'board' (preset) for the next song if you want.

MIJLOVER likes this.
  18. CBHTele

CBHTele Member

@Frank Ritchotte has been liking quite a few NAMM-related posts this weekend...hmmm...;)

19. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

Yeah, I'm beginning to wonder if something else besides the 5 or so HX reverbs are coming :)

Guitarzman, JiveTurkey and ratbastid like this.
  20. benifin

benifin Supporting Member

Unless you need or must or "want" a 20 min Looper ..... and/or ..... you need or must or "want" a color touchscreen ..... there is not one single reason to get the "11R Mk II now with IR loading " [ Headrush :) ] compared to the Helix LT .... however ..... there are numerous-multiple sonic, functionality, ease of use, quality, support etc..... reasons to get the Helix LT compared to the "11R Mk II now with IR loading " .... seriously, its not even close ...... this is not an "apples to apples" comparison ...... unless of course you simply must have 8+ year old sonic quality and modelling architecture ... in which case ..... definelty get the "11R Mk II now with IR loading " :)

Ben