Should I go with Helix LT or Headrush?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by specialidiot, Dec 30, 2017.

Which should I use? Please read the OP

1. Helix LT

100 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Headrush

20 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. Something else

26 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Stick with pedals

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

I have seen that same comment pasted on a few different threads.

2. Dude705

Dude705 Member

Lol...did you not read what I posted?

poison7512 likes this.
  3. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

During this process, we only took the values from the measurements that were calculated when creating the original models. Then the internal oversampling was renewed, and we disabled some previously required waveshaper downsampling, so that our models have a better sound quality with a more authentic realism and definition than the original code.

Clear as day!

4. Dude705

Dude705 Member

That’s right and that’s what I was referring to. Everything else is non 11R. It is a different machine.

5. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I did, but if you take that jargon to believe that they have a brand new engine....have at it.

6. Dude705

Dude705 Member

It’s funny that you posted that video. I work with Rockwell products everyday including PLCs. It’s too bad the narrator did not know motor theory, what input/output line reactors or even motor starters were. Unfortunately you see a lot of that around here.
    Weird thing is, I actually knew what the narrator was talking about.

Gasp100 likes this.
  7. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

I'm not really sure this tells me anything. But never mind. I guess we won't know for sure how much they used from the old code. It's too vague, and the way I read it, is that they improved some older code and made optimizations. But that could possibly be wrong, I just don't understand why they would leave it so vague if that wasn't the case.

8. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Sure you did...

[​IMG]

Dude705 likes this.
  9. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Not sure how any of this matters and why some guys get so pissed.Coming from someone who actually owned both i can tell you that they both sound fantastic and both have advantages.

Smashcraaft, Gasp100, dmock66 and 2 others like this.
  10. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

I think we were just discussing what 11R expanded means? The cool thing with modelers is that as you use them over time, they get better and better. I've had Helix for 2 years now, and it's so easy to use now, compared to when I got it. So pick one and if you like it, get to know it well. :)

Judge Smails likes this.
  11. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

The 11R always had better preamp models than the HD500. Clearly better IMPO.

The 11R had bad cab/mic sims.

The 11R HD is obviously just the original 11R code without the stuff to let it run on older gen hardware and with a cab/mic block enabling IR loading.

Turning off a few features like down sampling to let it ‘breathe’ slightly is NOT new code.

I imagine it sounds rather good like this and who cares if it’s ‘current gen’. The hardware certainly is.

Eventide make fantastic algos and many are old as the hills. Do we reject them or love them? Most love them. Lexicon; same deal.

If it sounds good, it sounds good.

I’ve owned 11R, HD500 and Helix and the Helix is an excellent choice.

Headrush is very affordable and cool but people have become used to updates during the life of their product and will the HR continue down this road?

Helix is simple to use. Guys that can’t work it out obviously would struggle to use a mobile phone. That’s not a knock but a reality. My 80yo parents struggle with a phone so obviously couldn’t use a Helix. That’s life but it doesn’t mean a phone is difficult to use.

For the money I’d get a Helix and I did. I’m not saying it’ll make you breakfast after taking advantage of you in a vulnerable moment but it’s a great control centre for your rig and sounds really good. What’s not to love.

12. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

:rotflmao

The whole post was spot on, but this part is my favorite!

13. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

Dude. It's a joke. It's totally made up. Look, here's version of it (arguably the original version) from the '70s made by GMC's trucks division.

Here's a version that was made at Chrysler in the early 80's:

Here's a more recent version from a video blog in 2013:

You couldn't possibly know what he was talking about because he's not talking about anything. It was written deliberately to be a joke about technical jargon-babble.

EDIT: Looking for all these versions I know of the joke, I came across MANY I'd never seen before, AND the following video that told me more than I ever knew about the history of this joke:

DPiddy likes this.
  14. bbgie1223

bbgie1223 Supporting Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao Baaaahaaaahaaa!!

15. Dude705

Dude705 Member

ahh...yes I knew that, thanks for clarifying.

16. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

You know that it's okay not to know things, right? To admit to not knowing the things you don't know?

17. MixMinisterMike

MixMinisterMike Supporting Member

Sounds like you're not too familiar with the latest MPC Touch and Live products, which are built on the same platform as the Headrush. Definitely lots of R&D going on there now.

Lots of assumptions and speculation going on in this thread.. not sure how that helps the OP.

Dude705 likes this.
  18. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Oh, I'm not speculating...

But, yes, the touchscreen in the HR is the same as the Touch and Live... That's probably why they were able to build the HR in the first place. inMusic has a good deal of purchasing power.

I will grant, though, that there seems to be more going on from an R&D perspective in the synth/electronic music divisions of inMusic than guitar... When you look at their portfolio, they don't have a lot going on guitar-wise.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  19. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

People trying to claim HR == 11R are trying to short circuit debate about the merits of the two products. They are trying to claim that HR is “old” modeling and by inference “worse” and shut down opinions contrary to their own without any real consideration. It is similar to an ad hominem fallacy.

After using Helix Native extensively I would not be shocked in the least if someone legitimately preferred the HR old or new aside. The Helix is a fine step up from the HD and I can understand why some people might like it. But its merit is *grossly* overstated all the time here at TGP DM where there is an insane amount of confirmation bias happening. I find it is viewed in a much more balanced light elsewhere. The Helix is really underwhelming for a lot of sounds for my personal taste.

20. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

I just have to say that I find it more than just a bit ironic that people see the TGP D&M forum a bastion of Line 6 fanboys given the state of things here three years ago... It warms the cockles of my heart... :)