Should I go with Helix LT or Headrush?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by specialidiot, Dec 30, 2017.

Which should I use? Please read the OP

1. Helix LT

63 vote(s)
    67.7%
  2. Headrush

13 vote(s)
    14.0%
  3. Something else

14 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. Stick with pedals

3 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Not really a great analogy. Just having a type of screen - like the large color LCD of Helix - is not a signature feature, nor is it an indicator of design language.

Or put even simpler, it's not what you do, but the way you do it. iPhone wasn't the first touchscreen smartphone, but it was definitely the first capacitive one with simplified finger touch-optimized OS and apps.

2. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

Sorry i disagree, you conveniently left out "better sound quality with a more authentic realism"
    Someone explained it to you earlier how HR made it work but you clearly and in youre own snarky annoying way choose to ignore the facts here.I have owned BOTH HR and Helix and said they are both great.I agree with the others that have said the Helix wins on the effects by far and the HR wins on amp modeling.Were all prepared for the same snarky comment you have been making in other threads that falls short of the truth.I have read many, many, many reviews on both units.If i could have had a better time programming the Helix i would probably still have it because i loved the sounds i was getting.You give HR credit for being honest but cant admit that its not the same sounds as 11R? Do some more research if it bothers you so much that the HR is an excellent board as well Ben
    Read all the reviews online and be informed heres just a few
    http://www.musicradar.com/news/head-to-head-line-6-helix-lt-and-headrush-pedalboard
    https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/26273-headrush-pedalboard-review
    https://www.thomann.de/gb/headrush_pedalboard.htm

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  3. dacula789

dacula789 Member

My research concluded the HR wins on the amp tones and the HL wins on effects. I just ordered the Helix LT so hopefully latter this week I can compare the two for myself. Also from everything Ive read the HR was completely revamped processor using the 11R as a starting point. Ive never played through an 11R so I can't compare, but it wouldn't matter anyhow if I like what Im hearing.

Judge Smails likes this.
  4. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

You cant go wrong with either and were super lucky that modeling has come this far.Have fun with your Helix!

buddaman71 and Michael_V like this.
  5. mikah912

mikah912 Member

Are the sounds "different" than 11R? Sure. After all, they can run the original cab IRs at a higher resolution and render the modeling at a higher sample rate with the new DSP. But that's just fidelity to same source that was modeled 8 years ago, not unlike a listening to a pristine 24-bit remaster of an album you first fell in love with via a cassette tape. It's "Man, that ole' album sounds better than ever!', not "Wow, that's a brand new album by this band."

That's not a disqualifier, as I liked and still like Eleven Rack. Thus, I'm sure the HeadRush sounds fine. If people prefer it to Helix or Axe-FX or whatever, great. But it's indeed the Eleven Rack "Expanded"....they even stamp it on the chassis. I wouldn't be surprised if that was a contractual obligation of acquiring the code.

Judge Smails likes this.
  6. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I’m sure that HR sounds great. The 11R did when I had one back in 2009 or so. Especially that DC30! I imagine the expanded version only sounds better.

No matter how easy it is to use or how great it sounds, I think there’s probably a moral underpinning to people’s negative opinion of the Headrush, a sense of protectiveness toward Line 6 (from whom inMusic or whomever clearly borrowed their inspiration) and a basic distrust of inMusic’s motivation and commitment to guitarists (compared to Line 6 who has been actively nurturing their community and has demonstrated a tremendous commitment to Helix users).

Like I said before, get any tools you need to do your job. If it makes you happy, screw the haters. Honestly, I’d like to try them all! But I think that’s what’s going on here, and for me, if I could only buy one (and I can only buy one), it’s going to be from the company who’s demonstrated their ability to innovate, listen to their users, and continuously improve their product.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  7. MIJLOVER

MIJLOVER Member

I will admit that it was a turn off when the HR was introduced at NAMM (In a totally weird ans secretive way, btw) that they said something like, 'well there are a lot of great sounding modelers out there, but we're the first to focus on UI'. They should have given props ever props were due imo. Line 6 often comment other companies, and along with a million other things that makes me feel better about buying a Helix. YMMV.

Guitarzman and Michael_V like this.
  8. gregrjones

gregrjones Member

AX8 kicks the ass of both IMO and I've owned the Helix and had about a week with the Headrush.

9. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Supporting Member

But have you had your ass kicked by the GT100?

Judge Smails and mikah912 like this.
  10. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Supporting Member

PARALLEL PATHS OF PAIN

Gearzilla and mikah912 like this.
  11. mikah912

mikah912 Member

I'm picturing this typed up by a coked-up Ric Flair right before he gets to "WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!"

buddaman71, Gearzilla and JiveTurkey like this.
  12. Gearzilla

Gearzilla Supporting Member

[​IMG]

mikah912 and JiveTurkey like this.
  13. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

Seems pretty harsh. Many people (including myself) dug the 11R quite a bit and only wished they would allow third party IR loading which they apparently do now so.......................

14. Gasp100

Because the Helix fanboi's come out in full force just like the Fractal fanboi's used to while the L6 fanboi's would ride them on statements of "realism". So funny.

Judge Smails likes this.
  15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I own and really dig my LT, but I also still like many of the layered sounds I’ve created using my studio rack HD Pro. (Along with many other similar devices at all price points over the last 25 years)

These uber-hype dictatorial posts are cute. All these devices are super powerful and capable of good tones.

I mean, I’d love to actually hear some recordings by posters in this thread! I just want to hear the complexity of the sounds being passionately debated. :)

16. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

In a strange kind of way I’m actually embarrassed for them a little. I mean the difference in sounds between any of these units is negligible. They sound like real amps.Maybe when you spend a grand on something some guys want to feel superior in a way.

specialidiot likes this.
  17. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

Well, what's "neglible" and what's not when it comes to guitar tone will always be debated, I supposed. I tend to stick the objective, quantifiable feature differences when talking about the units, which there are many. When I look at the feature sets between the Helix and the Headrush, they don't really seem all the comparable to me. I'm not saying that in a "HR sucks" sort of way, but just as a matter of actual models and other stuff... I expect that gulf to grow larger in the future.

In actuality, I think there's significant differences in the way all these manufacturers have designed the units, that it really comes down to a workflow question more than a pure tonal shootout. In the end, you can get a good guitar tone any number of ways. It comes down to finding the method that works best for you.

18. KenG

KenG Member

Didn't you just ditch everything except for a Boss unit?

19. Gasp100

I’m in between rigs now and using my zoom G3X exclusively for the time being while looking at options.
    I have money in the gear vault )and still more downsizing) so I’m being open to any options right now from the AFB to AxeFX or possibly even a real amp. Research mode until 2018 gigs are onthe books.

specialidiot likes this.
  20. JamCave Studio

JamCave Studio Member

Got a Helix LT for Christmas and I'm totally digging it. This unit does so much.

The reason I chose the Helix was because Line 6 has mega support for the unit. The 2.30 Firmware added more amps, cabs, effects, etc.

I just wasn't sure how Headrush was going to support their unit. I hear they are doing well.

Another reason I chose the Helix was because I'm coming from a POD 500X so I'm used to the Line 6 UI.

My wife bought the LT from Guitar Center Black Friday 15% off so it was $849.99 brand spanking new.

I voted Helix of course, it's endless fun.

specialidiot and Michael_V like this.