Should I have my pedals TB'd?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cbpickin, Jul 2, 2006.

1. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Everything in my chain is currently TB except for the last two pedals; a Keeley modded TR2 and a Maxon AD900. Analogman offers a TB mod on the AD900 that I think I am going to do because the switch in my unit appears to be wearing out. It doesn't even click when it is switched on or off.

I really like the TR2 and I don't want to trade it for a different TB trem because I have preferred it to a couple of TB trems I have tried. So, I was thinking of having it rehoused and TB'd by someone like Swankbox.

What I am trying to decide is if having the buffer of the TR2 at the end of the chain may actually be helping my tone by giving a little signal boost to the amp that I may be losing after going through all of my other pedals and cables. I could hook up one of my spare micro loopers and experiment, but it still wouldn't really be the same as a/b'ing the TR2 TB or not.

What are some opinions out there?

I know, I know, I like my tone, so don't fix what is working. But, as I said I think I need a new switch on the AD900 anyway and would dig a rehouse of the TR2 also.

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Supporting Member

For durability, or to save board space, I would say yes.
    But, I don't think one buffered pedal, in your case here - since the TU2 is ina loop, will have that negative effect on your signal.
    I have a couple buffered pedals in my chain, and they actually make it sound BETTER.

3. Last Nerve

NICE chain, BTW...can that Keeley TR2 get a hard chop?
    And does it have enough VOL?

4. erksin

erksin Member

You've got 9 pedals in line there - do you like your clean tone with everything bypassed?

If you notice any loss of highs or sparkle, you'll want to investigate a buffer. Even with a 100% T/B pedal chain, you're gonna lose highs with that many pedals...

5. somedude

somedude Member

FWIW.....I have all TB pedals in my chain, yet I use a Boss DS-1 for it's buffer. Sure, I could invest in a dedicated buffer....but why bother?

6. cbpickin

I know I am already losing some sparkle in my clean tone compared to plugging in direct. But, I do like my tone going through everything as well. I guess I'm wondering if I TB the TR2 if it will sound better/worse/no change. Do you think the TR2 buffer is actually helping?

7. Last Nerve

That far down in the line...YES, I think it is helping.
    NICE chain, BTW...can that Keeley TR2 get a hard chop?
    And does it have enough VOL?

8. somedude

somedude Member

It'd help more if you had it closer to the beginning.

FWIW, I run through about 45ft of cable. With the Boss removed (ie, all TB) my guitar sounds muddy and my amp is literally about half as loud as it should be. When I stick the Boss in there (first after 20ft of cable) I get all my top end back, full volume back, and compared to the TB tone it sounds like I'm hitting the amp with an OD.

9. cbpickin

Thanks!
    The Keeley can good a pretty hard chop cause it has both the square and sine waves available. As far as the volume, it has a HUGE amount of boost available. In order to run it at unity with my signal, I run the volume between 11 and 12'oclock. Keeley says you can actually use it as a clean boost if you turn off the trem knobs. I have tried it at home and it definitely works, but never at a gig.

10. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Cbpickin, I just PM'd you.