Should I have played a lefty?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by raildog, Feb 21, 2009.

1. raildog

raildog Member

Well, I was just thinking about how many guitars and amps I have had enbarassingly probally 50 or 60 total, my playing still sucks, and I have been trying to practice more, I wish I had been all along instead of trying to buy something to make me a better player, anyway enough whining, my question is I write left handed and throw a ball left handed so should I have been a left handed guitar player? THANKS,SCOTT

2. SigXer

SigXer Member

Its hard to say. When I have new students that are left handed I encourage them to learn to play right handed because if you're a lefty, you're gear choices will be limited to some extent and you won't be able to play you're friend's guitars. I know several lefties that play right handed guitars and they're quite good at it. When you think about it, I'd say that being left handed and playing right handed guitar gives you an edge because you get to use your more dexterous hand for the fretting hand.

3. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Many famous, accomplished, lefties play righty, not you, but it's not impossible.

Few righties get anywhere lefty, that i know of.

The degree of bi-dexterity seems to vary immensely amongst people. I could not flip my guitar to lefty and play. Others apparently can.

Pros and cons can be argued either way but once you start, for most, it will be hard to switch.

4. shally

shally Member

i am left handed.. but as with most lefties, i naturally do some things righty.
    when it came time to start playing guitar, it just felt "correct" to be holding a right handed guitar.. that is how i play

i have met quite a few players who did the same thing.. and a few who stayed left handed. it is a personal thing.

i WILL tell you that it would be very very difficult for you to change now.
    as a lark, i tried holding and playing a lefty guitar a while back.. all i can say is "no way !!"

to some extent it has colored my development. i do not have as strong or natural a right hand as a lot of players.. but my left hand is great. so, i just work that much harder on right hand techniques

5. raildog

raildog Member

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS,Scott

6. Nimrod11477

Nimrod11477 Member

I too am a "lefty", which means I write and throw left handed, but I do many things righty. I doubt you'd find any lefty that doesn't do something right handed, given that most things in your upbringing are made for righties.

With guitar, I play right-handed because that was the most comfortable way to play when I started. Go with whatever is comfortable! If you want to give it a shot, try out lefty, but it'll take a long time to re-train your hands to do the opposite thing (basically like learning to play all over again).

Here's some food for thought: Sometimes we are our own harshest critic.

7. JES1680

JES1680 Silver Supporting Member

Another lefty here that plays righty. Just seemed the only way to do it as it felt right, and I don't even remember seeing a left hand guitar when I was starting out.

8. FL6

FL6 Member

I'm mostly left but also do some things right.
    When I first picked up the guitar and the violin it felt correct playing left, and I could play right away. For me it would've been a step backwards to change my natural inclination for gear purposes only.

9. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

There are varying degrees of left-handedness. My advice is for practical reasons to try and go righty if it seems doable. If you pick up a tennis racket and start playing air guitar, what way do you do it? If left seems overwhelmingly natural, and right always feels awkward, then go lefty.

The best time to decided to play lefty was when you started. The second best time to switch would be now. If feels undecided, then for practical reasons, stay righty and don't look back. Good luck.

Shawn.

10. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

I do everything left except play guitar. My uncle tried to make me play left and I could not do it. No regrets

11. TreyD0g

TreyD0g Member

i am a lefty as well. i do almost everything left handed including playing drums. the only things i do right handed are throwing a frisbee and playing guitar.
    it would suck to play guitar left handed, imo. even playing drums left handed kind of sucks because no one can really play my set, unless i move everything around for them which is no fun.

12. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

You're right about the left hand working the notes, but as a lefty playing a right handed guitar since I was 8 years old, I feel that my right hand coordination for ;icking, strumming and rhythm is really lacking. I feel confident with my left hand, but lack confidence with my right. Sometimes I wonder if I should have started as a lefty.

13. ghoti

ghoti Member

I wonder that myself sometimes. Certain things, like scissors, can openers, mouses, etc, are right-handed in almost every orientation. Likewise, musical instruments are right-handed in almost every application. It's actually more common for guitars to be reverse-designed and -strung than any other instrument out there.

You might want to try and see how stuff feels the other way, but it's my opinion that unless you've got an injury, it's probably better to keep going the way you're going, unless it feels much much better.

14. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

you can tell by how you play air guitar, I play air guitar left handed, I play guitar right handed, and have the same questions about if i made a mistake playing right handed.

15. fransoos

fransoos Member

Hi, I am a real lefty;
    in trowing a ball, in shooting a ball, in writing; there's almost nothing I do with my right hand.
    In my early day's ( I am almost 55 ) it was difficult to find a guitar for a lefty so it turns out that
    I must start playing righthand.
    And for now my left frethand is good but my picking hand is still unsure and a bit onreal in flatpicking.

16. sonhenry

sonhenry Member

Guys, I'm a *chronic*, total lefty. When I started playing 30 years ago the teacher I had REFUSED to teach a lefty, so I learned righty. Best thing that ever happened to me. My coordinated, smart hand is on the fret board, and my right hand limps along behind. Since I'm a slide player, my coordinated hand is managing the mictoronal slide parts. My right hand goes plink-2-3-4, plink-2-3-4.

Think of it this way, it means the bulk of your brain power is focused on that hard combination of fretting and bending, it's an actual advantage over a righty playing the same instrument.

Lefty's playing righty rule, man. Embrace that, and (here's the tricky part), work your ass off to master your instrument. It'll happen.

17. marsos52

marsos52 Member

cool thread, very interesting... im a lefty but many many things i do right handed or im able to do right and left handed..i play guitar right handed, i don't remember if i naturally started as a right handed player or if the teacher had anything to do with it. i have never thought of trying to switch.

with my right hand single note picking was never a problem but playing rhythm has always been. really tricky rhythms i generally have to curl the pick in my index finger and use my thumb and middle and ring fingers to pluck the strings for rhythm

minor set-back mostly. just find a way that works. after a stroke 2 1/2 yrs ago
    that took out my right side. it really took a long time to begin using my right hand again. its not as it was before but i can get by.

marc

18. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I'm a lefty and play guitar righty too.

19. HRydarcik

HRydarcik Member

I'm right handed at everything except shooting a rifle and playing guitar...I can't hardly hold a guitar right handed...when I first started playing back in the 60s nobody I knew played...I bought an old Silvertone guitar with the amp in the case and it just felt right holding it left handed...so I reversed the strings, bought myself a Mel Bay book of chords and took off from there.

20. bforest4

bforest4 Member

Lefty here, I started right handed because I read an article with Steve Morse who is a lefty stating that you should learn right handed, and look how amazing his picking hand is! I still feel my picking and timing are weak compared to if I would have gone left handed. I fingerpick instead of flat pick when playing arpeggios, which is less than optimum.