Should I just get a PRRI for home...

blaster

I love my PRRI. For years I have had every other amp under the sun and thought the Princeton was too small...I was wrong. It's the perfect amp for home and will do a great job for gigs. It's one of the best amps I have ever owned.

jrbanjo

Yes, get one. It will cover gigs as well - maybe not huge loud gig, small clubs with a mic, it will do it. And they are not a pain to move around.

do you have people come over that you need to impress with a genuine blackface amp, or do you just want something that sounds great and offers great tone and options? If the latter is true, get a Super Champ X2 and stick a Emi Ragin Cajun speaker in it. The "tube" channel is pretty close to a PRRI if you insist on that tone, but the other options sound a lot better than the PRRI.

Vibroluxman

I love my PR. It’s an interesting amp too because I run it with a few different speakers for different sounds.

I tried the gold, and for me it added too much high end and made it very loud for home use. I’ve also used the eminence 1058, which has solid lows, but seemed a bit blah on the top. I’ve also got a ‘67 jensen Vibranto, and for home use I like it. Bottom end is a bit squishy, but all around a nice quiet speaker that lets the amp break up nicely.

The latest speaker is the fender/eminence blueback 1028 with paper former. Have to break it in still, but it’s got the high end of the jensen with the low end of the 1058. It’s a bit louder though, so I may still switch back for home use.

Schlep

There is little reason not to. . . arguably the best sounding BF - or even best sounding Fender - ever made.

You could easily do far worse. . . very easily. That said, I don't know how much better you can do.

Another valid option - and a bit cheaper - is the Vox AC10. No dirt pedal needed as it is a master volume amp. Depends if you like the Fender sound or Vox sound more. Overall the PR will likely be more flexible.

Rotten

Gold Supporting Member
I have a 1970 PR and used to own a PRRI. I could get them to sound almost identical through the same speaker. My favorite is an old Jensen C10N. However, the Copperhead is IMHO a very nice speaker for Fender cleans. I've never had the reverb tank last too long on one of the reissue Fenders, but other than that, great amp!

EricPeterson

Im gonna disagree, only to say get a fender champ instead for home use. I had both a princeton reverb and a champ for a while, sold the champ thinking it was redundant and that the princeton reverb was the perfect home amp, which is sort of true, except by the time you get natural breakup out of it, it is too damn loud (IMO). So I ended up getting a vibro champ a few weeks ago and I am very happy.

theprofessor

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, you need a Princeton Reverb. The reissues I've played through have sounded good. I just got finished building a Princeton Reverb on a turret board, and I put a mids/raw pot on the back. It goes from pure blackface clean to slightly more mids to really raw and raunchy. It's magnificent. I can't recommend Princeton Reverbs highly enough.

relix63

Silver Supporting Member
I have the 68 Custom Princeton Reverb and think it's a great home amp. The biggest complaint I've heard with these amps is too much bass but I don't have that issue using single coil guitars. The volume comes on gradual so it is very easy to play at quite low volumes if needed. Before this amp I tried a number of modeling options. All were more flexible but none had the great clean tone of the Princeton.

Trending Topics