Should I keep it or sell it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jjboogie, Apr 8, 2008.

1. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

I have a Les Paul that I was not comfortable with for a few years then back in 2006 I did a European tour and I decided to take it with me to see how it does. Well by midway thru the tour I got extremely comfortable with it to where it felt normal and an extension of how I express myself.

Fast forward to today.....I have an ES335 that is absolutely beautiful and sounds very good! For Rhythm playing it is awesome for me but when I solo on it I feel sluggish and awkward! It really bothers me....I have had it set up with low action and the whole nine but the neck is much wider than I am used too so I have to stretch more......I am trying decide whether I should sell it or keep it.....my bass player says keep it and try to get used to it. I have only two guitars right now the LP and the 335. Since I am used to the way the LP feels now I am thinking of selling the 335 and getting another LP but with P-90's so I can have one guitar with single coils and one with humbuckers for a little more variety.

What say you?

thanks
    jj

2. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

Another European tour might do the trick. If you still don't like at the end of the tour you can sell it at a profit and buy another guitar when you get home.

3. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Well, how long have you had the 335? Knowing when to cut bait on a guitar is a tough thing. I'd say give it a lil while but a paul with p-90s would be cool.

4. bynt

bynt Member

:roll

Be nice if you could find someone who might trade you for a little while. It's really hard to know when to get rid of a guitar.

5. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Maybe you'd be more comfortable with an ES339 Les Paul scale size

6. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Yeh, try one of those before selling the 335. You can order one from MF (or their subsidiaries) and have a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it. Then you'll know what to do.

I love mine and would probably consider a 335 too big and unwieldy now.
    But, I WOULD like a LP with P90's again! Or a 339 with P90's. Gibson, wake up!

And now back to our regular program...

HMTM

7. IndianScout

IndianScout Member

I sold my LP because the 50's neck cramped my hand, time to look for a 60's

8. oscar100

oscar100 Member

sell and keep teh LP

9. jjboogie

A bunch of good input and ideas! I never thought of the 339. I have not even tried one out yet. I might go to the store and try one just for curiosity's sake.

If I do get a LP with P-90's I would not want the fat neck but one that is more 60's size. Do they make LP's with P-90's and the 60's size neck?

10. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

If it doesn't turn you on, sell it.

11. playon

playon Supporting Member

Get a telecaster!

12. jjboogie

If I get another Fender soon it will most definitely be a Tele.........I cannot play strats because I always hit the pick up selector.....I