Should I look into Buffers?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rock-lobster, Feb 23, 2015.

1. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

My understanding is that you can have buffered bypass in your first and last pedals and not need separate buffer pedals.

My chain currently starts with a Dunlop 535q and ends with a Strymon Blue Sky set to buffered bypass.

I don't actually know what the 535's bypass is but I always assumed it was buffered.

All of my other pedals are true bypass except for a Boss OS-2.

The reason I ask is because I don't really know how I could "test out" a buffer pedal. I don't have a way to put one in front of my board without already having purchased it.

2. Classic09

Classic09 Member

The 535q is either TBP OR HBP, not BBP. Wahs shouldn't have an input buffer as it messes with the dynamics of the pedal. Fuzzes are the same.

I have a looper set to buffered by pass, with the wah before it and it works just fine for my needs.

3. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

You can do a test by putting your Boss pedal first and leaving if off.
    Knowing the rest of your chain will help.

4. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

Currently, I'm running everything straight into my amp:

Gtr -> 535q > VP JR > Strymon Mobius > Boss OS-2 > Hardwire SC-2 > Mobius > Flashback X4 > Blue Sky Reverb -> Amp

5. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

Does a buffer specifically need to go first in the chain or does it just need to be early on?

6. starkd12

starkd12 Member

It depends on the board/equipment I've found. A lot of people with bigger boards put one at the beginning and one at the end. My advice is if you think it sounds ok as it is, then you probably don't need one

7. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

He length of the cable from guitar to pedalboard is the consideration for a buffer at or near the beginning of the signal chain. Your cable would need to be over 15' or of poor quality for you to realize any benefit of buffering. Not sure why you have Möbius listed twice- is it an internal loop thing? Regardlessly, it can by your buffer. Wah and fuzz typically perform best without buffered signals. All in all, I think you are good.

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Like Classic09 said, the 535Q is either true bypass or hardwire bypass (sort of - it's wired for TB, but has a couple of misplaced resistors that make it appear as "hardwire" to the pickups). The OS-2 is buffered, so there should be no need for any additional buffers. The only thing is if you experience treble loss (to the point where it's a bother) from the 535Q and VPJr, but to solve that you'd need a buffer before those two, or at least the volume pedal. Or a buffered volume pedal like the MVP.

However, the litmus test is your ears. Do you notice any tone/treble loss with the setup you have now? If not, don't worry about it.

9. Datsyuk

Datsyuk Member

I just got this bad boy and am loving it. If you do a search you will see a lot of positive posts about but also some complaints regarding the congested jacks.

http://empresseffects.com/collections/pedals/products/buffer-1

This one allows you run any pedals that you want in a loop which and has an input and separate output buffer which allows the front end where your guitar might be plugged into to be buffered and then the out to the amp to be buffered as well. There are a bunch of other features that makes it pretty hard to beat. Kick ass Canadian company...what more could you ask for!

10. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

The Mobius has two inputs and outputs so you can program certain presets to be before or after dirt pedals.

Thanks for the info. My cable from guitar to board is pretty short. My cable from board to amp is pretty long but as I've mentioned I run the buffered bypass on my Blue Sky so I should be good there.

Regardless, I did notice a slightly nicer sound plugging straight into my amp today at practice than through my board.

I also noticed less of a change when I took the wah out of my chain. Hmm...

11. PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I actually got rid of my 535q bc for my setup when it was bypassed I lost a lot of high end. And for what it's worth I keep a pedal at the end of my chain before my EB 25k volume pedal so I don't lose any top end there either. I don't really use wah much, but I got a Teese Picture wah to replace the 535q and didn't experimce the top end loss anymore. :dunno

12. rock-lobster

rock-lobster Member

Good to know, and I would definitely describe the change as "treble loss" vs without the 535 as well.

I use wah too much with my band to fully take it out of my board, but I may have to look into alternatives to this particular pedal.

13. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Take the volume pedal out of the chain and see if your problem goes away.