1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Should I make the plunge into two-rock world?(and bankruptcy)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Schaff, May 17, 2011.

1. Schaff

Schaff Member

Hey guys just wanted to get a little input from yall. In a nut shell im thinking about selling my Bogner Shiva and my Maz 18 and upgrading to either a Two-Rock Gainmaster or Custom Reverb. First of all I know they are completely different in their tonal qualities but I guess im looking for some basic responses from ppl. In regards to what music I play I do alot of rock stuff(nothing as heavy as metal tho) as well as country and blues stuff. I use the Bogner for the balls-to-the-wall OD and the Maz for the cleaner stuff. Anyways I'm just looking for some experienced input before I sell my soul haha.

2. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Are you looking to go to a one amp set up? I have never owned or played a Two-Rock but I'll say this, you are giving up two amplifiers that you can get a variety of tones/sounds from for one amplifier. Will the Two-Rock be able to provide you with the tones you get from the Bogner and Maz 18?

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  3. ruppert240

ruppert240 Member

two excellent amps for 1 excellent amps. I say nay.

4. Strat

Strat Member

the audience won't know or care.....

5. frank4001

frank4001 Member

Save up and buy the Two-Rock(not that I've ever played one). What if one of your amps goes down? I'm already nervous you only have two.... Better go get a Deluxe Reverb QUICK!

6. fierce_carrot

fierce_carrot Member

I've had more high dollar amps over the years than I even want to think about and not a single one of them ever lived up to the hype.

7. dennisd

dennisd Member

I have a Bogner Shiva. I owned a Two Rock Emerald Pro for a few months. The Two Rock was good, but certainly not the holy grail. I did buy it used and did not lose much on the transaction. I have had the Bogner for 10 years-great versatility and almost an inability to get a bad sound.

The Two Rock was a good solid amp. One of the annoying things about Two Rock was that they seemed (to me) to always be improving their product which means that the holy grail amp you buy will become obsolete within 1-2 years when they tweak things and have anew holy grail.

8. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

what are you hoping/expecting the Two-Rock to do that your current gear doesn't? without that information, it's pretty much impossible to even start to answer your question.

9. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I've had the pleasure of playing and owning Bogner and Two Rock amps. I've also owned a killer Maz 38 Sr.....but.....that's after "Playing" them first....something to consider.

Zooombiex hit the nail on the head; What is your current gear not doing for you? What do you want the Two Rock to accomplish? Look......either way, you're talking some great tone.....but they are really two very different beasts.

Now....other's have pointed out the audience won't care (which is true for the most part)......but I don't want to be playing 50+ gigs a year through a rig that doesn't "inspire" me to play better either.

So much of what come's out of an amp depends on what is going in......I'd be curious to hear what your signal chain is too....to get an idea of what your doing. Heck...if you get a chance....go see Michael Landau play live somewhere......and see what he coaxes out of a Deluxe Reverb and De Ville......it's stunning.

FWIW.....I'm using the 6L6 Shiva..... because it suits my needs right now, based on the band I'm playing with. I just did a Live Recording of it last week during a performance....and I sounded the best I ever have.

And one other comment (only added because of the Bankruptcy comment) ........if you have to place yourself in a sketchy financial position to buy any piece of gear......it's a bad idea.

10. baimun

baimun Member

If a Shiva + another high quality amp can't sate your tonal hunger, then nothing else will.

11. billyjett

billyjett Member

Just remember, that a Two Rock is going to give you a very specific sound.If your willing to give up the versatility of having the two amps that you have now, for that specific sound, then go ahead and take the plunge.If it were me, I'd stick with the two amps you currently own, being that I play a wide variety of different music, and those two are great amps!

12. Schaff

Schaff Member

Well I think I got my answer but just to give a little more info from my point of view...I have loved my Shiva for the past two years and I really like the Maz as well. However, I went into the shop and played a two rock and it truly gave me chills at the responsiveness of that amp. I think I'm in the boat that many people have been in that "the grass is always greener" and as we all know, electric guitarists are always looking for something else. In response to what I'm running, I use a rack setup for my effects but It is all tru-bypassed so I really get that guitar straight to amp tone.

13. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

If the Two Rock did something magical for you that the other 2 amps don't then it's a no brainer. A nice Two Rock will give you some of the best cleans money can by, and that's a great place to build your tone from even if the OD channel doesn't do much for you. I've played a bunch of Bogners and owned a Maz for a while and I'd almost certainly trade up for a used Custom Reverb.

14. nickyjoe

nickyjoe Member

I thought the Two -Rock to be a solid amp, but to me the amp is over priced. One could buy a room full of amps. Some vintage stuff.From what I hear the amps you own are high quality.
    I've heard some pretty inspired players...a guy with a Blackface & an OD pedal comes to mind. Still if it helps you get your message heard & you've got the $...go for it.

15. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

you want it, get it. i do the same. i just traded a soldano slo and a maz 38sr
    AND a 62 re issue strat in forest green for a 51 no caster, and a 57 RI tweed deluxe. crazy? yeah, worth it? to me, every penny lost. who cares. buy the amp you are lusting after !:)

16. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Two Rock makes some really fine amps. But they have a very focused sound. If that focused sound is what you are looking for, then sell everything you have and get one. Otherwise, you could buy quite a few amazing sounding amps for the price of one TR.

17. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Silver Supporting Member

Save up & buy a used Two Rock.
    Or just get rid of one of your amps.

18. phillyred79

phillyred79 Supporting Member

I agree with this. Sell your Maz 18. They pop up used all the time so you won't be without one for too long should you miss it. I must admit I am a huge fanboy of Two Rock amps! They are not everyone's cup of tea, but only until you own one and live with one will you know if they are for you. I used to buy them new at full price and learned after $1000's lost in resale that it is foolish. I wouldn't advise spending over $3k for a used one, but at that price point you can find the Custom Reverb Sig, Type 3, Classic Reverb, Jet, Jet Sig, J2, and a bunch of the earlier K&M stuff at or below that price point. I recently picked up a used Jet Sig for $2500 and a Gain Master 22 for under $2k. Both are fine sounding amps and the new Gain Master is really really great. I'm surprised it doesn't get more hype. Then again your current amps are very good too!

19. music77

music77 Supporting Member

Do it. I am a true beleiver in Two Rocks. I had a Maz 18NR before I made the Two Rock pludge. Well worth it to me. Although, I do think DR Z makes an amazing amp especially at the price point.

In my opinion, the Two Rock cleans are simply the best. I have only payed their one channel amps though, so I cannot speak from personal experience on the Two Rock lead channels. You should do your homework and pick a Two Rock based on the type of lead channel. Further, you need to figure out if you need reverb. The Eric Gales, Type 3, and Gain Master do not have reverb. Decisions, Decsions - that is what makes it fun!

Go for it! You won't look back!

20. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

Stay in the used Two-Rock market and you can find some great deals with minimal risk of loss on a resale. The first time I discovered Two-Rocks I owned a 6L6 Shiva and went to Ultrasound in NYC to try out a variety of Brunos and Dr. Zs, which were great amps, but I left with an old Two-Rock Opal and been on the Two-Rock bandwagon ever since!