Should I Notch or Sand This Bridge?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by NoahL, May 12, 2015.

1. NoahL

NoahL Member

I have a '65 Melody Maker 3/4 size with a vibrola tailpiece. The bridge is the compensated kind like the one below. The break angle is very slight and with the very short scale, I'm getting some sitar on a few of the strings because there are some very tiny grooves worn. I'm going to remove the Vibrola anyway and wrap the strings, which should help, but if it doesn't, should I just sand it very lightly first? Or is notching better? I don't think I'd be able to do a full notch on the thicker strings, and I wonder if the lack of notches actually contributes to the nice, full, kinda "wild" tone. It sustains forever. Notches might focus it more? Maybe I've answered my question already ... [​IMG] https://flic.kr/p/sL5ySV

As usual, the image link via the app doesn't work, sorry.

2. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i'd safely stash that one and get a new version that actually intonates with a plain G string.

some tonepros locking studs would be worthwhile too, they'll clamp the tailpiece dead-parallel with the top, eliminating that lean.

3. NoahL

NoahL Member

Hear ya, Walter. I'm having trouble scaring up that bridge online. Got a source?